• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just wondering....

Just wondering why...

Since NSX is a rare exotic car which lines itself along with Ferraris etc.

then.

why modify it?

why not enjoy it like Ferrari owners.. " stock"

Terence

I have a Ferrari and have went to several Ferrari events. Many of the Ferrari guys modify their cars, I still have the stock exhaust on my Testarossa and I am in the minority (Most have Tubi's) I have seen twin turbo Testarossa's, convertables, even some running NOS.

So I think the statement that we should leave the cars stock is silly. Someone should do whatever mods makes them happy. My NSX is heavily modified and is now perfect for me!

I mean.. heavily modified NSX is like alternating the original design .. sometimes I think it might ruin the looks.

People own the NSX for various reasons. To some, the process that goes into modifying the car is a major component of the overall enjoyment of NSX ownership.

There is no right or wrong answer. To each his own.

However, I happen to think that leaving a car stock is very boring.

At the same time, if you are referring to exterior modifications, I do agree that some efforts are not done in the best interest of good taste.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 25 July 2002).]

A lot of the people who own Ferraris (at least in North America) don't drive them hardly at all. Want to keep the mileage down. Maybe we ought to not drive our NSX'es so much any more if we want so much to be like them...

Originally posted by NSXTC:
A lot of the people who own Ferraris (at least in North America) don't drive them hardly at all. Want to keep the mileage down. Maybe we ought to not drive our NSX'es so much any more if we want so much to be like them...

Exactly!

I have no plans to modify my NSX.
wink.gif

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
heavily modified NSX is like alternating the original design .. sometimes I think it might ruin the looks.
OR other times it might IMPROVE on what is for the most part an 11+ year-old design

IMO we can't ALL be wrong.

Stock is for white-glove "period correct" concours wannabes... very common amongst the Italian garage queen set
biggrin.gif

Let me see if I understand this thread so far. General sentiment expressed has been, "There is no right or wrong answer, to each his own. Now let's all toss insults at people who leave their cars stock."

Nice, Manuel...

As for that NSX and its "11 year old design", both the stock ones and the ugly ones are still better than 99 percent of the cars being sold as new today.

Ferrari has been coming up with new models and new cutting edge technology at a rate unheard of in the auto industry.(355, 456, F50, 360, 550, 575, FX in less than 7 years). Honda has TypeR'd almost everything without changing much of their lineup. They're too busy reinventing clean air and foldable bench seats. Proof of that is their dismal F1 record of late. That's why I never think of upgrading my F car (maybe a Tubi)but the NSX is another story.

Generally speaking, every car I have owned. I have always looked forward to changing the wheels, lowering the car, installing a new wing or such things. I believe that most people feel the same way. To each his own I suppose. Happy motoring....

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Now let's all toss insults at people who leave their cars stock."
my jab at the "white-glove period-correct concours" set is mainly at Ferrari and other Italian (and other Euro) marque owners... if some NSX owners choose to take offense, have at it.

to each his own
biggrin.gif

re: the old design being prettier than xx % of new cars, IMO that includes the 2002 NSX

Originally posted by bboxer:
Ferrari has been coming up with new models and new cutting edge technology at a rate unheard of in the auto industry.(355, 456, F50, 360, 550, 575, FX in less than 7 years). Honda has TypeR'd almost everything without changing much of their lineup.

Not true. In that same seven-year period, Honda has come out with all-new versions of:

Acura CL (twice!)
Acura TL (twice!)
Acura RL
Acura RSX
Acura MDX
Honda Accord
Honda Civic (twice!)
Honda Prelude
Honda S2000
Honda CR-V (twice!)
Honda Pilot
Honda Insight
Honda Odyssey (twice!)

In fact, Honda has come up with an all-new design for every car in its lineup at least once, some twice, with the exception of the NSX. Many of these models are widely recognized as the best of their category. And Honda has been a leader in new technologies, particularly alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 25 July 2002).]

A tubi doesn't count. The stock exhausts are made by Tubi, so I would think of the aftermarket Tubi as more of an upgraded option, you can order them from the factory with the "aftermarket" on BTW. And as far as turbos and all on a ferrari, well that's just wrong! there is something special about them, that the asian NSX just doesn't have.

Juice..
I dun get what do you mean by

"It's not your car until it is yours." Get it? If you don't than you never will.

I am not sure if it what you meant Juice, but I think that probably a lot of Ferrari drivers don't actually own their cars and therefore are not able to go tearing the things a part.

I think he meant it's not yours until you "personalize" it, ie. make it unique so it reflects your personality.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 26 July 2002).]

I guess I have a "stock" personality.

cowdance.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 July 2002).]

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
I think he meant it's not yours until you "personalize" it, ie. make it unique so it reflects your personality.

IMHO, the NSX MUST be modified, at least minimally. The minimal yet manditory mod is the personalized license plate, and for reasons that I don't completely understand, when I see an NSX with a plate having an ordinary run of letters and numbers, the car reminds me of a Taurus from a rental fleet. It makes me think the owner doesn't really give a shit that he's in something really special. I mean it just looks crude somehow... It may be that I think the NSX is so beautiful in every way that an ordinary, bureaucratically imposed random plate message blemishes the NSX's visual perfection. In any case, I think my "NSXY" plate completes the perfection of my NSX's appearance quite well.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Originally posted by NSXY:
IMHO, the NSX MUST be modified, at least minimally. The minimal yet manditory mod is the personalized license plate, and for reasons that I don't completely understand, when I see an NSX with a plate having an ordinary run of letters and numbers, the car reminds me of a Taurus from a rental fleet. It makes me think the owner doesn't really give a shit that he's in something really special. I mean it just looks crude somehow... It may be that I think the NSX is so beautiful in every way that an ordinary, bureaucratically imposed random plate message blemishes the NSX's visual perfection. In any case, I think my "NSXY" plate completes the perfection of my NSX's appearance quite well.

Now that's just plain silly. Besides, I don't want my plate that easily remembered.

Originally posted by 02NSX:
A tubi doesn't count. The stock exhausts are made by Tubi, so I would think of the aftermarket Tubi as more of an upgraded option, you can order them from the factory with the "aftermarket" on BTW. And as far as turbos and all on a ferrari, well that's just wrong! there is something special about them, that the asian NSX just doesn't have.

ALthough Tubi help develop exhausts for Ferrari (both street and racing), Ferrari has resisted having their stock production 360/550 made by Tubi (cost). Tubi knows how to make an F car sing and that's why we upgrade the exhaust. (you can NOT order a Ferrari from the factory with a Tubi. Dealers can install it.

Back