• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

K&N short ram made of stupid??

One of the previous owners of my '94 decided to replace the air filter/scoop with K&N kit 57-3502. While this is marketed as a 'cold air' intake; It sits directly on the throttle's mouth. This arrangement pulls heated engine bay air directly into the throttle body; thus the ECU leans out the mix to the point of futility.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/cold_air_intake/acura/nsx.html
It's undrivable after an hour of heat soak. The guts just fall out of the 80-1500 band. One has to make rpm just to eek out power. Once at some speed; it seems like the side scoops can deliver cooler air to the bay, and she peps up a bit.

My current theory is that getting ambient air from the scoop to the intake will solve some of my woes. I'm working on a shroud to sit around the K&N and some ductwork to reconnect the solitary scoop port to the shroud. The oem air filter works would make me happiest, could I find one.

I believe the K&N kit for the NSX is criminally bad for drivability negating any power gains marketing may suggest.

One of the previous owners of my '94 decided to replace the air filter/scoop with K&N kit 57-3502. While this is marketed as a 'cold air' intake; It sits directly on the throttle's mouth. This arrangement pulls heated engine bay air directly into the throttle body; thus the ECU leans out the mix to the point of futility.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/cold_air_intake/acura/nsx.html
It's undrivable after an hour of heat soak. The guts just fall out of the 80-1500 band. One has to make rpm just to eek out power. Once at some speed; it seems like the side scoops can deliver cooler air to the bay, and she peps up a bit.

My current theory is that getting ambient air from the scoop to the intake will solve some of my woes. I'm working on a shroud to sit around the K&N and some ductwork to reconnect the solitary scoop port to the shroud. The oem air filter works would make me happiest, could I find one.

I believe the K&N kit for the NSX is criminally bad for drivability negating any power gains marketing may suggest.
All aftermarket "performance" filters have a negligable affect IMO.
The way I see it is,if Honda thought a K&N filter was a good idea,they would have fitted something similar in the first place.

Back