• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Koni/Ground Control users, need your input! Issue with my setup.

I feel the car could do well at national events. Many are ran on very large parking lots or air ports. Nationals courses have also seemingly been getting faster and more open recently which is only better for this car. Still not classed well enough to make a real effort on it unfortunately.

Finally getting somewhere with GC. Talked to the owner, Jay for a good bit. He's overnighting new, shorter, progressive but stiffer bump stops to use. He's owning up to saying it seems like it was a mistake on their part to send the bump stops that came with the setup. Hoping I can swap them out before the weekend and see how things pan out. Hope this will solve any issues and I can enjoy beating on this suspension for years to come.

Figure I would update. I got the new bump stops from Ground Control a few days ago. I put them on the car with not change to anything else. The car did drop a tiny bit more in the front since it wasn't resting on the taller bump stops anymore, but, the ride height didn't drop that much. Being that the perches on the front collars were at their max lowest point, there's nothing else I could do to lower the car with how everything is now. I did decide to pull the suspension, again, and swap the springs so I put the 550# on the front and 650# in the rear. This did help drop the car but only a fraction of an inch. So this truly is as low as this suspension will go. I knew I would be driving the car around a lot this weekend, put around 150miles on it. Some city, mostly highway. So I decided we'll see how things go over the weekend. Let the suspension settle slightly and see if I like it. I was quickly impressed with the ride quality. Even with these rates, the ride is VERY smooth. Konis are 3/4 from full soft. Bumps are relatively smooth and body roll is noticeably reduced. So far I don't believe I've hit the front bump stops. The ride height grew on me. Ideally I would have liked to go just slightly lower. But the more I look at the car, and drive around on certain roads, I find good practicality out of the ride height on the streets and feel the performance will be just fine for regular autox use. It may also help since I do have an over sized front tire to keep the ride height a bit high. The biggest draw back to not having any more real height adjustability in the front is I can't really corner balance this car. Which would have been nice to do but I'll make do.

I'll leave the suspension as is for now. I won't be able to really know how it does until I autox it in about 4-5 months. If it works, cool. If not, I've already spoken with Fortune Auto about their coilover for this car and am intrigued. Only time will tell.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 12239565_1083777628300539_500031980563834763_n.jpg
    12239565_1083777628300539_500031980563834763_n.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 191
  • 12243244_877896054208_3924916608836621685_n.jpg
    12243244_877896054208_3924916608836621685_n.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0314.jpg
    DSC_0314.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0205.jpg
    DSC_0205.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0278.jpg
    DSC_0278.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 202
Glad the new bump stops are an improvement. I wonder if the aspects that I didn't like about the Koni shocks I had on (harsh impacts on certain bumps) were because they didn't have any bump stops?

let us know how the car handles with those rates..

I just don't understand why you would make such a big compromise on such a critical component of the car. I applaud the effort to try something new, but it's not working for you. And when you have so many people on this forum, including some professional drivers, who have praised the KW suspension...if you really want to compete, I wouldn't pinch pennies on my modifications.

Here is a photo of my dampers, I am running a 7" spring in the rear. It does look like the body of your fronts are not machined to allow the threaded portion to fully seat. Notice how much of the shock body is visible in my photo. Also your bump stops are longer than mine. GC defiantly does not know what they are doing for an NSX set up, I have wasted many emails and phone calls with them. They might have had it correct at some point, but those people are not the ones in the customer service department.
I agree.

There's something not right. Your front shock has that yellow 'lip' that the threaded perch is sitting on (that is not on GraemeD's setup) and your front threaded body is a lot longer than the rears while GraemeD's are the same length.

jwmelvin's setup may have that yellow 'lip', but his threaded collar has a much larger inner diameter which appears would go over that yellow 'lip' and sits much further down on the shock body. Your (OP) threaded body has an inner diameter barely larger than the outer diameter of the shock body, like GraemeD's, but his threaded collar also sits lower on the shock.

-Can you take a picture to see where the top of the shock body is relative to the top of the threaded perch?
-Can you flip your perch upsidown to see if it sits lower on the shock body -in case there's a difference or 'lip' machined on the inside of the body.
-Can you swap the threaded bodies Front to Rear, putting the shorter threaded body on the front and the longer one on the rear?
-Can you measure the length of the shock body, from the center of the eyelid to the top of the shock, and from the top of the shock to the top of the top hat (that mounts to the shock tower)?

Due to the NSX's motion ratios, I really don't like running stiffer rear spring rates than the fronts. That being said, I don't know what's ideal for lower speed AutoX but with the same spring rates front and rear, the rear wheel rates are much higher than the fronts. There's something wrong and your car is a lot higher than it should be with that setup. I wouldn't just give up and run it as is.

Here's the KW V3 springs with Clubsport spring rates and shorter front springs that I put on: 5.5" front 457lb, 7.87" 457lb rear springs:

2NSXKWV3coiloverinboxFXMD.jpg

3NSXKWV3frontcoiloverFXMD.jpg

4NSXKWV3rearcoiloverFXMD.jpg

Last edited:
I just don't understand why you would make such a big compromise on such a critical component of the car. I applaud the effort to try something new, but it's not working for you. And when you have so many people on this forum, including some professional drivers, who have praised the KW suspension...if you really want to compete, I wouldn't pinch pennies on my modifications.

It's not much of a compromise. I'd consider it a compromise if this part were something that could wear and break down in a short amount of time. But, Koni has a long standing history of making shocks that last forever and perform really well. Ground Control has a similar reputation with a coilover setup that has great durability. I'm no stranger to what other suspension products are out there, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on a car that will never be truly competitive in anything I do with it. Besides, I've had no problem getting behind the wheel of a car with Koni/GC and beating the next guy in essentially the same exact car with shocks that alone cost 3x+ what the Koni's do. Over...and over.. again.. If the Koni/GC can be made to work, there is, IMO, no compromise made for what I'll do with this car.

I agree.

There's something not right. Your front shock has that yellow 'lip' that the threaded perch is sitting on (that is not on GraemeD's setup) and your front threaded body is a lot longer than the rears while GraemeD's are the same length.

jwmelvin's setup may have that yellow 'lip', but his threaded collar has a much larger inner diameter which appears would go over that yellow 'lip' and sits much further down on the shock body. Your (OP) threaded body has an inner diameter barely larger than the outer diameter of the shock body, like GraemeD's, but his threaded collar also sits lower on the shock.

-Can you take a picture to see where the top of the shock body is relative to the top of the threaded perch?
-Can you flip your perch upsidown to see if it sits lower on the shock body -in case there's a difference or 'lip' machined on the inside of the body.
-Can you swap the threaded bodies Front to Rear, putting the shorter threaded body on the front and the longer one on the rear?
-Can you measure the length of the shock body, from the center of the eyelid to the top of the shock, and from the top of the shock to the top of the top hat (that mounts to the shock tower)?

Due to the NSX's motion ratios, I really don't like running stiffer rear spring rates than the fronts. That being said, I don't know what's ideal for lower speed AutoX but with the same spring rates front and rear, the rear wheel rates are much higher than the fronts. There's something wrong and your car is a lot higher than it should be with that setup. I wouldn't just give up and run it as is.

Here's the KW V3 springs with Clubsport spring rates and shorter front springs that I put on: 5.5" front 457lb, 7.87" 457lb rear springs:

The pictures GraemeD posted do show inconsistencies in the Ground Control setup vs mine and what others have posted. From what I can tell, his threaded sleeve is taller, but sits lower on the shock body, than mine does. jwmelvin's has a different sleeve setup so of course it may sit and look different than what GC has.

The top of the shock body sits flush with the threaded sleeve.
This may be possible.
This may be possible as well, though not sure if the front sleeve will work well with the rear since that sleeve is much shorter. The rear height may end up being too low even at its highest point. But may be worth a shot.
The Koni shocks measure the same dimensions as the stock shocks and are also the same dimensions on jwmelvin's. The problem does, and doesn't, lie within the Konis. I say this because the main draw back of the Koni Sports is that they use the same dimensions as OEM shocks, pretty much across the board for all cars as far as I know. So this poses a problem when lowering the car a decent amount since that was never the intention of the OEM shocks and Koni is just going off that with their Sports. Where it isn't the fault of the Koni's lies directly in Ground Controls lap. They should do extensive testing to ensure their products can do what they claim. They claim a 0-3" drop on their coilover. This isn't the case here obviously. And what you mentioned by swapping the sleeves around or flipping them upside down, that may work to lower the car more. BUT, there is still the issue of having enough travel in the suspension before riding the bump stops. If I lower the car more, I will likely be hitting the bump stops often. From driving over the weekend, hitting some bumps and overpasses, I never felt the car jolt as if it hit the bump stops. So it would seem the travel isn't an issue right as it sits. I will do the "zip tie test" to really see if I ever hit the bump stops.

As for the rates, I'm not overly concerned right now. Again, I'll have to wait until next season starts up to really know what happens. But for autox, a little loose is better. If it's too much, I can tune it down with a larger front bar and/or remove the rear bar and play with the alignment. If it's still too much, I'll drop the rear spring rates to something softer. But since no one seemingly has really tried to setup an NSX for autox before other than in stock class, I have little to nothing to go by. Road racing info helps, but doesn't translate really well into optimizing the handling for autox.

Also, if all else fails and my testing just hits a wall, I've already spoken with Fortune Auto about their coilover setup. Their located in VA not far from me. They offer full adjustable coilovers that are also easily rebuildable and use high quality springs(swift) and parts for a very good price. I'd be will to give them a chance before going to KW.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I had my Koni/GC setup but IIRC, my Koni's didn't have what appears to be a very thick 'lip' in the shock body but instead had a groove where a retaining clip sat in that had a very thin 'lip' that stuck out of the shock body for the GC threaded body to go over and an inner 'step' groove in the threaded body sat on the protruding ridge made by the retaining clip for the right height.

So, if your GC threaded body was made for said thinner retaining clip instead of the thick lip that you have, it would not sit as far down as its suppose to. So you either have a newer or incorrect Koni damper (which is why the GC sleeve isnt working) or you have the wrong GC sleeve for the correct Koni damper. Either way, you had the wrong bump stop for a lowered coilover application.

IIRC, the KW V3's body is the same length as stock, just like the Koni, so I dont think there's a travel issue in a lowered car when using the properly sized bump stop. There's still plenty of bump travel when the car is at a 4.25" ride height (measured from the ground to the front and rear jack points. **What's the F-R height of your car right now?

Do you have a pic of the new bumpstops they sent you?

I'm not a huge fan of the zip-tie method because if you hit a bump when cornering, that will travel the shock far more than pure cornering will alone. If you don't want to touch the bumpstop atall even in this worst case conditon, then there is no need for the bump stop and you're probably at a higher ride height than you could be.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I had my Koni/GC setup but IIRC, my Koni's didn't have what appears to be a very thick 'lip' in the shock body but instead had a groove where a retaining clip sat in that had a very thin 'lip' that stuck out of the shock body for the GC threaded body to go over and an inner 'step' groove in the threaded body sat on the protruding ridge made by the retaining clip for the right height.

The lip that you guys are seeing on the shock body is for the rear shock. That is different from other Koni shocks for this car I've seen but the rear is not really an issue at all. I have plenty of travel, esp after the new bump stops, in the rear. I haven't taken the sleeve off the front shock but I would imagine it has the same circlip like most others for the sleeve to rest on.

So, if your GC threaded body was made for said thinner retaining clip instead of the thick lip that you have, it would not sit as far down as its suppose to. So you either have a newer or incorrect Koni damper (which is why the GC sleeve isnt working) or you have the wrong GC sleeve for the correct Koni damper. Either way, you had the wrong bump stop for a lowered coilover application.

The Koni part numbers on these shocks are the same numbers listed on Koni NA website. Ground Control verified the Koni part numbers as well when I spoke to them. All points lead to these being to correct shocks for the car. The only difference or change that I can see on these shocks is the rear having the lip on the shock body which the sleeve appears to be resting on. Aside from that, all else should be the same as always.

IIRC, the KW V3's body is the same length as stock, just like the Koni, so I dont think there's a travel issue in a lowered car when using the properly sized bump stop. There's still plenty of bump travel when the car is at a 4.25" ride height (measured from the ground to the front and rear jack points. **What's the F-R height of your car right now?

Measuring the ride height on this car is a little off because I am running an oversized front tire. My front tires are 225/45r17's, which brings the ride height from the jack points up higher than say if I were on stock wheels/tires. But what's noticeable is even with the oversized front tires, I still have about a 2 finger gap between the tire and fender up front. But the measurement from front jack point is about 4.875" and rear jack point is about 4.5". I have the stock set of wheels/tires so one of these days I'll throw them on and measure to get a better perspective.

Do you have a pic of the new bumpstops they sent you?

This is what they sent me. Left is the original that came, right is the new one for the front. Significantly shorter. The new rear one is only slightly taller than the new front. Probably about as short of a bump stop I'd want..
attachment.php

I'm not a huge fan of the zip-tie method because if you hit a bump when cornering, that will travel the shock far more than pure cornering will alone. If you don't want to touch the bumpstop atall even in this worst case conditon, then there is no need for the bump stop and you're probably at a higher ride height than you could be.

Not the best method but it would give me an idea at least on a steady state, flat turn if I'm riding the bump stop at full tilt, which I don't want. Big bumps would likely hit bump stops mid turn but that's not as big of a concern.

Attachments

• 12208275_877734113738_8849020912664792810_n.jpg
    12208275_877734113738_8849020912664792810_n.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 219
The shock on the top is for the rear. it is not possible to switch the shocks front and rear because the bottom mounting points for the shock for the rear is thicker than the front. It physically isn't possible. The springs got switched around a couple of times. GC had originally sent the suspension with 550f/650r. I swapped the 650's to the front before installing. Then got the new bump stops and I swapped the springs again to the original 550f/650r, so that's where the car's at now. Besides that, I measured the front Koni's and compared to the OEM, same dimensions.

Hope this his helps you when you get back into them.

Here are better shots of the spring mount collars. The one with the collar removed, is the rear and shows the part of the shock that gets machined, the collar has a step in the ID that sits on the "ring" on the shock body, it goes about 1/2" over it. There are two o-rings that help center the collar on the shock body, they have left marks on the paint where they were positioned.

The other photo, is of the assembled front damper assembly, notice how much of the yellow shock body is visible above the red spring collar? (Ignor the incorrectly installed, wrong size, F'ed up tender springs on the top, they are gone now)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 48
[Using a zip-tie is] Not the best method but it would give me an idea at least on a steady state, flat turn if I'm riding the bump stop at full tilt, which I don't want. Big bumps would likely hit bump stops mid turn but that's not as big of a concern.

Would it be possible to mount a GoPro where it could see bump-stop contact?

Probably not enough space under the fender to get a clear shot of the suspension. Next time I R&R I'll take the spring out and put the wheel on and see how much room I have before either hitting the bump stops or the tire hits the top of the fender.

After putting a couple hundred street miles on this, hitting some big bumps and taking a few hard turns, I think I could drop the front another 1/4" at least comfortably. Big thanks to you guys, I have a couple good pictures as reference. It's obvious the sleeves I have are shorter in overall length than what you guys have. I'm going to call GC tomorrow to see if they can send me longer sleeves for the front so I can try and lower the car a bit more and hopefully give me room to better corner balance the car.

Back