• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

koni & tanabe a good match?

Good match? or no.

Just ordered some Koni to go alone with the Tanabe GF210. wondering if it is a good match.

Tanabe rate is 5.7 kg/mm front and 4.8 kg/mm rear
1.3 inch drop f & R

This is a weekend driver and maybe going to track event 1 or 2 times a year.

I figure this setup will give me some damper adjustability at 1/2 the cost of Coilovers suspensions.

NO one?

I just installed it over the weekend.. boy.. install process was a bitch...

Tanabe GF210 looks good. perfect drop in my opinion.
leaving a 1 finger gap on day one I'm runing 18/19 Volk GTC.

I'm so glad I got Koni instead of leaving OEM strut. due to the wet weather here I only drove it around the block. but from going over some speed bumps, I felt that the koni had much better damping than OEM. Koni took out some of the harshness from the OEM strut.

Interesting color scheme too. Orange springs on Yellow strut.

Now after the storm blow over in a few day and the Street maintence repair most of the BIG potholes. I'm give full report.

BTW can someone recommend a Alignment setting. I would like tire longevity but not to have the car wonder around when driving on hwy.. Thanks.

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing GF210's on my stock shocks. Glad to hear your install went well. Please post pix if you can...i'd love to see the Tanabe drop with the 18/19 wheel combo. Congrats.

I'll post pic when it get more dry around here.

BTW I would recommend new shocks. bilstein or koni, just something new. Installation was a bitch.. never plan to do it again. If you pay someone to do it, will cost you 200-300 for install + alignment cost.

here is a pic of the parts.

Attachments

• koniGF210.jpg
    koniGF210.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 364
No rain today so I got alignment done. Here is the drop with GF210

attachment.php

fkong,

Any update? I'm interested in the tanabe/koni setup too. Anybody else have this setup?

It seems like tanabe are the only aftermarket lower springs that has a stiffer front spring than the back.

Also, should I go with Koni or bilsteins?

Thnx.

Henry.

I'm happy with the setup. The koni rides better than stock. I feel a bit of understeer but I cannot say it is cause by the tanabe / koni setup.

I'm running different brand tires from front to rear at the moment.

I have not place the car on the track yet. but When I do i will have the ability to dial in the handling since Koni is adjustable.. It was important to have adjustability to me because I like to tune out understeer or oversteer

I also have this setup on my car now too. And yes, these were a bitch to install! I've also noticed some understeer with the new setup, maybe because its too stiff in the front? Hmm... I'm going to play with the adjustability today. Its still very easy to correct the understeer though when going into a hard turn. Overall, its improved the handling dramatically.

Just NSX suspension install in general is a real bitch.. I did the ultimate sin and removed the "4 Bolts" Took me freaking 2 hours to get the "4 Bolts" back in... and No.. I didnt strip them..

Shumdit said:
What are the "4 bolts"?

the 4 bolts that mount the rear upper control arms.

RE: ride. It ride well, Koni at softest setting isnt harsh riding at all.

adjusting the stiffness as we speak and trying to see if I can make the car loose some of that understeer. By the way my settings were set to the stiffest in the front and rear so we should see a significant difference when I test drive it on the mountain pass near the house. I'll post how many clicks to the left I adjusted it too. Of course there are other factors as to why it understeers.

so what did you find in settings? koni didnt really have clicks.. more like how many turn and a 1/2 or 1/4.

Back