• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kuhmo tire set up

Ok, need some advice. The car is a 93 with eibachs. The car is driven aggressively and will have the 91 alignment. I have already purchased V710's for the front which is a full slick with a rain grove to be DOT legal....treadwear 30, size 215/40/16...on stock 99 wheels. I am limited on the tire for the rear. Do I put the same tire (v710) in the back in a size 245/45/17 which will raise the rear and lower the front, or do I mismatch the rear with a DOT race in the correct size (245/40) in a v700, which is a treaded tire with treadwear rated at 50. The car is tracked and may see some autocrossing. 215/40 is .3 inches lower than stock on the front....245/45 is .50 HIGHER in the rear....

do NOT mix/match track tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either run all V700's or pick a new brand. AVON, Hoosier, Toyo etc.

If you do NOT have a BBK, buy a set of 91 rims (dime a dozen) and you will then have more choices, and cheaper ones since the 15/16 set-up.

Once you go BBK, I suggest running a 17/17 combo @ 235-40-17 and 275-40-17 for ultimate grip.

if my 215/40 already rub the fender liner in parking manuever, how bad could it be with 235/40??

Steve, I agree what Tom said, don't mix and match R compound tires/ Race tires.
As long as you don't get any rubbing issue, you should be fine with the lower front end, the setup will also give you a little more intial turn-in "bite".

NSXDreamer2 said:
if my 215/40 already rub the fender liner in parking manuever, how bad could it be with 235/40??

It's all about offset! We run a +43mm in front with a 235 width (Toyo RA-1)

To keep it out to the fender, reduce offset by 5mm for every 10mm reduction in tire width.

Example...
225 tire +38mm
215 tire +33mm

This is the absolute extreme end of keeping the tire to the outer fender w/o rubbing to maximize the clearance to the inner fender liner.

RP-Motorsports said:

To keep it out to the fender, reduce offset by 5mm for every 10mm reduction in tire width.

Example...
225 tire +38mm
215 tire +33mm

This is the absolute extreme end of keeping the tire to the outer fender w/o rubbing to maximize the clearance to the inner fender liner.
Do you have a formula like that for the rear?

RP-Motorsports said:

Example...
225 tire +38mm
215 tire +33mm

my rubbing occur at full steering lock with 215/40/17 with a 17*8, 35offset. with the A/c vents. (my fender liner should be a 91 factory, so it might be a little old as it deformed or sagged a little.)

Ok, I ran this set up last week at Hallett and must say the set up was QUITE good. The car was very neutral and I ran the fastest time of the day by 3 seconds per lap. The car had more time to be made but the brakes pads were not up to the task. I would recommend this set up.

Back