• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lamborghini Gallardo Insights

A few responses in this thread mentioned Gallardo clutch life might be problematic.

Someone I know with a Gallardo E-gear had the clutch go in about 17,000 miles; replacement cost was $15k.

A friend with a Diablo (circa 2000) had his clutch go at under 20,000 miles for a similar replacement cost.

Either Road & Track or Car & Driver had a Gallardo drop out of one of their comparison tests due to clutch failure.

Do I see a pattern?:rolleyes:

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

OMG...listen to all you freaks...you all sound worried when another "exotic" is thought of as reliable....like you have all realized this is the last claim to fame the NSX has....

G's for under 100K are almost regular....most are under 20K miles...there are 2on auto trader last week, and many more for just over 100K...

the car had a clutch issue....IMO that was a MUCH smaller issue than the snap ring :eek:

other than this one small issue, on less than 1500 units WorldWide...the G has been pretty fantastic IMO. It has even held its value well....

Getting a Gallardo under 100K would certainly be intriguing for me down the line. Does lambo offer extended warranties on the cars or is it if you are out of warranty you are on your own? Sounds like 6-speeds are the more reliable of the two from what I read, but also carry a premium price.

At $15k per clutch, I wouldn't call it a trivial issue. As to other exotics, another friend has a 550 Maranello, and that's been far more reliable than either friends' Lambos.

Lambo are drop-dead gorgeous cars. And VW ownership has helped improve their reliability. But they are still far from the top of the reliability chain for exotics.

A buyer should know that going into the deal. Plan/budget for the known issues and just enjoy the car.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

At $15k per clutch, I wouldn't call it a trivial issue. As to other exotics, another friend has a 550 Maranello, and that's been far more reliable than either friends' Lambos.

Lambo are drop-dead gorgeous cars. And VW ownership has helped improve their reliability. But they are still far from the top of the reliability chain for exotics.

A buyer should know that going into the deal. Plan/budget for the known issues and just enjoy the car.

Frank
'96 NSX-T, red/tan

$15K per clutch sounds a little nuts. I recall in the the Ferrari F1 tranny that if a part went bad in there, it was indeed $16K to replace.

$15K per clutch sounds a little nuts. I recall in the the Ferrari F1 tranny that if a part went bad in there, it was indeed $16K to replace.

I don't know where this $15K figure came from. My dealer in OC/CA always mentioned $6000-7000 for a clutch change. Still, thank God I never had to have either of mine changed. In fact after 6000 miles, my 6sp manual clutch had over 75% left and after 4K miles my 06 Egear showed over 95% left at the last check.

I have seen the $15k clutch figure floating around too. Although I have also heard from Gallardo owners the clutch replacement was around $5k, which sounds more reasonable.

Ok guys time for a dealer to chime in. Lambos at the recent(past 3-6mths)Manheim exotic auction. sales are on the decline due to the economy of course. 04 Gs are 80k and up in near perfect condition. Yes it is true that a G regardless of year with over 15k miles is considered old and abused. As for maintenance issues the clutch is aproxx 6-7500bucks. But we must remember Bentlys, F-1's, lambo and astin martins are not meant to be daily riders. So 15k miles should be after years of ownership. If you have the cash jump on it before the downward turn reacts with this hectic market. But my personal opinion is to buy 3 nsx's instead.LOL

Ok guys time for a dealer to chime in. Lambos at the recent(past 3-6mths)Manheim exotic auction. sales are on the decline due to the economy of course. 04 Gs are 80k and up in near perfect condition. Yes it is true that a G regardless of year with over 15k miles is considered old and abused. As for maintenance issues the clutch is aproxx 6-7500bucks. But we must remember Bentlys, F-1's, lambo and astin martins are not meant to be daily riders. So 15k miles should be after years of ownership. If you have the cash jump on it before the downward turn reacts with this hectic market. But my personal opinion is to buy 3 nsx's instead.LOL

Please educate me. From what you stated, the G car with 100K mileage is worthless and it becomes a dinosaur?

No I said a G with 15000 miles to dealers is equal to a honda accord with 150000 on the dash. For us it is difficult to sell cause buyers look for them in the single digits, However they are A-1 to me with those miles but who am I........... just a fellow NSXer

No I said a G with 15000 miles to dealers is equal to a honda accord with 150000 on the dash. For us it is difficult to sell cause buyers look for them in the single digits, However they are A-1 to me with those miles but who am I........... just a fellow NSXer

Why does a clutch cost 6K on these guys. Seems a little silly.

Is it to be my udnerstanding that "exotic" means "stupidly expensive and self-serving"? From some people's statements, its alright that a $100,000 car has "eye-dropping" maintenance costs at extremely low miles!:eek: - and that this is acceptable...because the car is exotic. Holy crap...and I mean...HOLY CRAP! I am sure that there are many items in this world that people would lose their minds over if they needed to be "overhauled after 1 year of use! Thank God I had the sense to be a "true exotic" - a car that looks and preforms awesome and is RELIABLE!

Dam:cool:

My friend's 02' 360 Modena Spyder had its clutch go out and he has very low miles on it. It think under 20k or so. I know it isn't a Gallardo but similar car.

Its just mind boggling to me why these exotics are priced as such, but Xmanufacture cannot produce performance and reliability together?

"04 Gs are 80k and up in near perfect condition"
Please post the latest auction results with near perfect condition cars....near perfect leaves a lot of interpetation...

As and owner of a 04 Gallardo egear and currently an 06 SE G, I've had alot of good luck in the reliablity of the later! The 04 was quite problematic and the 06 has been a relative dream!
I am also a three time owner of NSXs and currently have a 05 Imola Orange one that I will never part with.
The Gallardo is a blast to drive and every underpass or tunnel calls for both windows to roll down and open up the exhaust baffles to hear the beautiful sounds of an Italian V10! That's one thing I don't have with the NSX, but I can drive in total comfort and actually hear the person speaking on my bluetooth phone!
I don't know where these numbers for a clutch change are coming from, but I was quoted around 5K to change one awhile back. I didn't need one, but was wondering what it would cost should the need arise.
The two cars are a different as cars can be and I still love the technology behind having the paddle shifters. I don't feel that one has to have a manual gearbox to be considered a "sportscar driver". If that was true formula 1 drivers would still be shifting with a manual! Some say that having the computer assist your shifts is boring and yes sometimes even driving is boring.
Take driving in bumper to bumper for example. Shifting with a manual gets pretty boring in those condtions also.

Is it to be my udnerstanding that "exotic" means "stupidly expensive and self-serving"? From some people's statements, its alright that a $100,000 car has "eye-dropping" maintenance costs at extremely low miles!:eek: - and that this is acceptable...because the car is exotic. Holy crap...and I mean...HOLY CRAP! I am sure that there are many items in this world that people would lose their minds over if they needed to be "overhauled after 1 year of use! Thank God I had the sense to be a "true exotic" - a car that looks and preforms awesome and is RELIABLE!

Dam:cool:

A true exotic car can be two of three things

1. cheap
2. fast
3. reliable

Now the NSX is all three things until you put a SC on it and give it the same power a Ferrari or Lambo has. Then the NSX will lose the reliable part, ask anyone who has made their NSX really fast how reliable it is.

Once you see a Ferrari or Lambo up close, and I mean up close like on a rack climb underneath it, open all the compartments and pull back the rug, you will see just how much effort goes into making the car 2 of those three things. They really are a work of art and you can see the passion that goes into assembling one. They remind me of the percision that goes into aircraft.

"They can they just don't want to warranty it."
Lamborghini does have a new warranty program out.....and i have had no reliability problems...so for me it would be a waste of money..

Last edited:
"They can they just don't want to warranty it."
Lamborghini does have a new warranty program out.....and i have had no reliability problems...so for me it would be a waste of money..

Great now lets get Mercedes to put AWD under their AMG line. :D

S65 with AWD would be heaven.

I was surprised to see in the new R&T the Gallardo LP560 has a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Back