• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lamborghini Gallardo Insights

Being a proud NSX owner, and one who loves the look of an exotic sportscar - I was looking for some feedback on the Gallardo. I have heard from some that the car is quite reliable...but I have also seen numerous photos of burned-out and broken-down Gallardos. I would just hate to move towards this type of car and then watch it sit in a shop waiting for parts! Are Gallardos in the same vein as an NSX - that is...can they be driven like an NSX and put on the miles?

Thanks

Dam :cool:

Wow...after reading that it sure makes you wonder :frown:

In all 15 years of NSX production you just don't get those same reports do you? :wink:

I was running The Dragon in a stock Miata two years ago and it suddenly snapped turned in one of the many curves and swapped ends. Fortunately, fairly low speed and no other traffic and was able to drive the car back to our hotel. Upon inspection, a sway bar endlink had come loose, presumably right in the middle of the turn. Totally my fault, had changed shocks before making the trip and didn't properly torque the bolts. However, it pointed out to me that any suspension component coming loose at the wrong time can have an instantaneous and disastrous impact on the course of travel.

Sounds like Lambo has something coming apart on these cars and it's creating an immediate and violet directional change that not even a professional driver can correct. Sorry, no something I would like worrying about every time I drove the car.

Here is a very very interesting website that would give you a lot of TRUE information about lambo's

http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghini_murcielago_crash.html

Ive got to say thats one of the most poorly written articles ever. Its clear this guy has no driving skill and is only looking to recoup money from Lambo.

In here "Addendum of 03/24/2006:"

He says he was only driving 120kph on VISIBLY SNOW COVERED ROADS and "suddenly lost control" and it went into the guardrail. This is certainly Lambos fault. I mean, WHO ELSE could be to blame??? :rolleyes:

As for the Gallardo (This article speaks nothing of them) its on my short list for a next car. That or an R8.

Last edited:
Being a proud NSX owner, and one who loves the look of an exotic sportscar - I was looking for some feedback on the Gallardo. I have heard from some that the car is quite reliable...but I have also seen numerous photos of burned-out and broken-down Gallardos. I would just hate to move towards this type of car and then watch it sit in a shop waiting for parts! Are Gallardos in the same vein as an NSX - that is...can they be driven like an NSX and put on the miles?

Thanks

I am one of the NSX "old timers". Owned an NSX for 8 years. I've had two Gallardo's so far, an 04 6 speed and an 06 E-Gear. Total about 4 years and about 12000 miles. Had very little problems including a few reprogramming of the TCU and an upgrade of the crankcase breathing system on the 04. Overall, a reliable car. Be careful with 04's with a VIN below 1500 or so, they have one of the first 2 clutch versions that need special attention. I see no problem in driving the G regularly; I know of some with more than 10,000 miles driven annually. when you DO have a problem, it wiill be very costly to repair. I still love the NSX and looking for one.

I am one of the NSX "old timers". Owned an NSX for 8 years. I've had two Gallardo's so far, an 04 6 speed and an 06 E-Gear. Total about 4 years and about 12000 miles. Had very little problems including a few reprogramming of the TCU and an upgrade of the crankcase breathing system on the 04. Overall, a reliable car. Be careful with 04's with a VIN below 1500 or so, they have one of the first 2 clutch versions that need special attention. I see no problem in driving the G regularly; I know of some with more than 10,000 miles driven annually. when you DO have a problem, it wiill be very costly to repair. I still love the NSX and looking for one.

As i'm lookin into Gallardo's as well, i wonder if you could give me any idea on what you liked better, the 6 speed, or the E-gear.

Thankx!

How much do used 04 Gallardos go for...we rarrely see them up here in Canada...also...I heard that the clutch had to be replaced around 15,000 miles...and that it costs around $15,000...If thats the case - then the NSX is a much better way to go. Its hard to fathom that one would have to put such a large amount of money into a car that costs so much! You would think that the high price tag would equate to low maintenance! I also like the Aston Martin Vanquish...and I have not heard of it requiring a new clutch after 15,000 miles. Anybody ahve any info on the Vanquish?

As i'm lookin into Gallardo's as well, i wonder if you could give me any idea on what you liked better, the 6 speed, or the E-gear.

Thankx!

Sorry it is still difficult for me to make a judgement even after 4 years. When I got my 06 E-Gear, I was pretty convinced that it was the right txmission for the car's character. It was certainly better than the 04-05 Egear. I later started to get annoyed at the low speed jerking especially in traffic and missed the 6 sp manual. I drove the Egear Superleggera and find the shifting improved; perhaps the LP560-4 is even better, but no transmission compares to the DCT in my Nissan GTR, it is by far the best automanual (almost as good as PS3/GTurismo !)

Last edited:
How much do used 04 Gallardos go for...we rarrely see them up here in Canada...also...I heard that the clutch had to be replaced around 15,000 miles...and that it costs around $15,000...If thats the case - then the NSX is a much better way to go. Its hard to fathom that one would have to put such a large amount of money into a car that costs so much! You would think that the high price tag would equate to low maintenance! I also like the Aston Martin Vanquish...and I have not heard of it requiring a new clutch after 15,000 miles. Anybody ahve any info on the Vanquish?

In my opinion, they want to have high maintenance and more often to keep them in business because low production means less profits. To keep them in business, they have to make the car go to the shop more often.

I was also looking into the Gallardos but didn't want to spend six figures on a used car. That being said, the Gallardos are supposed to be a lot more reliable and comfortable than the previous Lamborghini cars. Maybe because they are owned by Audi. The only issue I have come across is the clutch issues in the 04 as was already mentioned. A lot of people tend to want the newer ones since they can raise the nose over speed bumps. The 04 Gallardos can run as low $120k range depending on mileage.

Another good option for an AWD exotic is the Porsche twin turbo 996. They can be found around $50-$60k. It may not be as eye catching as the Gallardo, but it does offer good performance and can be upgraded for more power.

The only insight I have is that the thinly paded seats hurt my bony butt:redface: Imo the seat consists of a leather clad floor pan:rolleyes:

the costs for maintaining the car go hand in hand with any other high performance car, stock off the showroom floor or a highly modified car.

obviousley you need to maintain such a high caliber vehicle more than a brand new hyundai(however you spell that) well, unless you want them to put a diesel truck transmission with a diesel truck clutch into the lamborghini to hold the power, but id guess that would lesson the fun factor just a tad:wink:

the nsx doesnt need as much attention since the engine package isnt tooo crazy, and every other functioning thing on the nsx is a compromise of practicality and function which in result is a very nice car but its not as crazy as a lamborghini

Judging by your Avatar also had/have a 512???

Sorry it is still difficult for me to make a judgement even after 4 years. When I got my 06 E-Gear, I was pretty convinced that it was the right txmission for the car's character. It was certainly better than the 04-05 Egear. I later started to get annoyed at the low speed jerking especially in traffic and missed the 6 sp manual. I drove the Egear Superleggera and find the shifting improved; perhaps the LP560-4 is even better, but no transmission compares to the DCT in my Nissan GTR, it is by far the best automanual (almost as good as PS3/GTurismo !)

Thank you.

Here is a very very interesting website that would give you a lot of TRUE information about lambo's

http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghini_murcielago_crash.html

Correlation-causation possible but Lamborghini-Audi will probably never come out.

To the OP I don't care for all-wheel drive cars, so the rear wheel Lambos only such as SV Diablo and the soon to come out marcy sv etc..

I would have to pick a Modena over the given choices.

Have had no big problems with my G, and I do have a later production 04, above 1500 production #. Its a lot different driving experience than an NSX, and Ill buy another NSX one of these days. For taller people the ergonomics in the G suck... Drive the 6speed and E gear before you buy. I always use the E gear paddles instead of relying on the computer shifting, but that is me and you have options with egear..and prices are in the 100k range, but be careful on what you get for the money.
And I have put 4k on mine this year, so I do drive it a bit...
And Porsche just bought controlling interest in VW/Audi, so support might increase a bit...

Gallardo's for that price are pretty rare. Jump on it if you have the cash!

Just like with your beloved NSX, you get what you pay for. An 04 Gallardo under $110K is either a high miles car (that's when expensive service starts) or has been thrashed. Yet in this type of market, unreasonably low prices are very possible. My advice, don't "jump" on that cheap Gallardo without doing your homework, it may cost you dearly.

What the hell equates to high miles on a Lamborghini? Please don't tell me its around 50,000 miles!:eek: What the hell is the sense of that? Lol...you would have to have soooo much money to burn in order to own a Lamborghini. :confused:

Thank God for the NSX...it allows us peasants to own an exotic:biggrin:

What the hell equates to high miles on a Lamborghini? Please don't tell me its around 50,000 miles!:eek:

Actually, a G with over 25k miles would probably be considered high mileage. Give them time though. They're turning out to be fairly reliable exotics. Not compared to the NSX though of course.

Back