• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Lat call - help with custom Stereo Equipment!

I posted this a few days ago and didn't get any response, so before I moved forward, I wanted to try one last time before I put my NSX under this guys' knife
smile.gif

I met with the lead guy named Ron at Kustom Kar Sound (the stereo shop next to Buzz Jensen's Sound Advice off of Raintree in Scottsdale, AZ) and he said it would be around $500 ($100/hr 5 hours work) to do the 'dash' to support 2 single DINN settings, and when he was done that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between his work and the factory 'smoothing' on the edges.
He said he's done a few NSXs before, the last one being a black that belonged to a Mr. Register (or something like that) up in the Troon area (if anyone knows him, I'd love to speak with him).

So, does this price sound reasonable for the work?

Thanks!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

$500 seems a bit high for something you could do yourself with a few hours, a dremmel tool, sandpaper and paint. But high-end audio installers are always expensive. 5 hours is probably a reasonable amount of time start to finish on a really first-class job.

I work at a stereo shop and Lud is right it does sound a bit high. Of course here in the Dakotas there isn't much call for super trick custom work. We've done a few but not many.

Can you see pics of installs they have done before??? NSX or other? That way you can get a feel for his level of skill, ya know??

Also in my experience you get what you pay for! So if your like me, and your super picky with the way things look, then I'd say pay the 500 and have it done right. That 500 also buys you customer service, so if you have problems you can take it back.

Originally posted by Requnix:
I met with the lead guy named Ron at Kustom Kar Sound (the stereo shop next to Buzz Jensen's Sound Advice off of Raintree in Scottsdale, AZ) and he said it would be around $500 ($100/hr 5 hours work) to do the 'dash' to support 2 single DINN settings, and when he was done that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between his work and the factory 'smoothing' on the edges.

Maybe I'm missing something. I don't want to touch my dash with mods for a lot of reasons. I've looked into doing something similar and maybe my approach would work for you. I just haven't been able to finish it because work has me traveling too much lately.

I going to hookup a computer in my trunk to play mp3 music. What I found was I could tap into the din connector on my cd-player. So what I found is if I just put a remote controled switch in the trunk that allowed me to swaps the cd audio and the computer audio lines the head doesn't complain. As far as the main head is concerned I'm playing a CD although I'm really playing an mp3.

There lot's of ways to control the unit and connecting a display. I going to mount the display in the cigerette lighter area. I'm also going to use a ir remote for the control pad and position it in the coin tray. Here's a link to something like I'm going to do except I'm using a portable computer. I also have a wireless network card installed so I can easily download music.
http://www.carplayer.com/ssi/plans/plans.shtml

You can get the switch here.
http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/periph_products/audio_switchers.htm.
Another approach I've been thinking about is using my PDA, Jornada, connected to the portable in the trunk through a wireless card. Either way the basic concept is to play mp3s through the cd channel and not touch the dash.

If you need 2 dins I think Peripherals has a solution for that as well.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Back