• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Latest power numbers 589 whp / 521 ft-lbs of torque

I've had my car at Uehara Motorwerks adding some more goodies and tweaking out the tuning. I'll post some updates on the newest changes I made recently. But for now, here are my latest power numbers. Keeping the boost the same at about 16 psi, we were able to jump up the power quite a bit from the previous tune from 552 whp to 589 whp; which was quite unexpected. However, the torque dropped off, although the previous number was suspect (573 ft. lbs. down to 521 ft. lbs.) but is still abnormally very high. It doesn't punch you in the face like it used to, but it does pull hard for much longer; it's just a different feel. All numbers are non-altitude corrected and run at 2200' elevation on a conservative Mustang Dyno. I don't have much doubt if I ran this at sea level I could probably break 600 whp.

New Dyno (589 whp / 521 ft-lbs.)
1-6-10_NSX_dyno.JPG

Old Dyno (552 whp / 573 ft-lbs.)
1031080831.jpg

Last edited:
Jesus, I know that Dyno. That is where my BMW was done. That is a conservative dyno for sure. On a dynojet he is probably more like 620-630whp I'm not even joking. Those are solid numbers. I hope to see it this week.

Congrats Bryan,

You don't sound as excited with the new power delivery as you should be(more top end, quicker to redline, almost too quickly). Personally, I was a little disappointed when I swapped my original setup (677 rwhp) for the twin GT35r (851 rwhp) because of the increased lag. Went back to what Turbonetics recommended and got back the earlier response with better peak. In any case, your setup has always been a torque freak with very early response. Bring that black beast to our next meet. Congrats and on to NSXPO planning!

Regards,

Danny

Vega$ you must hate or love new rear tires :tongue:

Glad you're enjoying the FX500 ;)

That setup should be able to win Modified RWD at the Redline Time Attack!

Billy

Congrats Bryan,

You don't sound as excited with the new power delivery as you should be(more top end, quicker to redline, almost too quickly). Personally, I was a little disappointed when I swapped my original setup (677 rwhp) for the twin GT35r (851 rwhp) because of the increased lag. Went back to what Turbonetics recommended and got back the earlier response with better peak. In any case, your setup has always been a torque freak with very early response. Bring that black beast to our next meet. Congrats and on to NSXPO planning!

Regards,

Danny

To be fair Danny.....if I remember correctly you were running modified 35R's. You told me you were running clipped exhaust wheels, which do just as you describe. They push the VE table up and to the right so that it does flow more up top, but usually at a greater loss down low than its worth.

Almost no one in the turbo world clips the exhaust wheels anymore even though in the late 90's it was the thing to do.

Funny how things change through time.

J. R.

Finally got to open her up today after the C&C meet. Car feels great!!! The initial torque punch is slightly missing that I was used to (miss it a little) but the car definitely pulls longer, harder. Danny, it's really growing on me! Tires break loose now at the top of the rpm curve which I have to get used to (instead of initial). Before the third gear wouldn't break the tires loose much (wide 305, R-compound tires) but now, depending on the surface I can do it a bit easier. Overall, I think I have more useable power, which I think correlates to a faster car.

I was able to switch cars with Vegaspeed, who has a comptech supercharger, and I was pleasantly reminded of how quick supercharged cars are, especially in first gear. You could feel the power difference between the turbo and the supercharger, but I also feel below 50 mph, you really are hard pressed to think one car would be that much faster than the other. But once at higher speeds, the power difference is much more apparent.

The initial torque punch is slightly missing that I was used to (miss it a little) but the car definitely pulls longer, harder.
You're making ~400lb-ft torque at the tire at 4,000rpm! That is a huge punch in the mid-range and honestly it is a bit hard for even me to tell any significant deficit of power/torque in the mid-range between your setup before and after the changes. But I would agree that below 4,000rpm your smaller turbo did have more bottom-end. But you should never be that low!

Tires break loose now at the top of the rpm curve which I have to get used to (instead of initial). Before the third gear wouldn't break the tires loose much (wide 305, R-compound tires) but now, depending on the surface I can do it a bit easier. Overall, I think I have more useable power, which I think correlates to a faster car.
You are forgetting to mention that you now have the KW Variant 3 suspension (that I personally tuned by the way ;)) -which is FAR more compliant with better damping, softer spring rates = MORE GRIP and won't break traction as easily as your old setup. But the last 2,000rpm you're over 500whp so it's still hard to keep them hooked up...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the suspension and engine changes!

Billy

You are forgetting to mention that you now have the KW Variant 3 suspension (that I personally tuned by the way ;)) -which is FAR more compliant with better damping, softer spring rates = MORE GRIP and won't break traction as easily as your old setup. But the last 2,000rpm you're over 500whp so it's still hard to keep them hooked up...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the suspension and engine changes!

Billy

Oh man, I totally forgot to mention the handling changes!!! :eek: I guess since I wasn't able to really thrash around too much since I was on the street, but the biggest change is in the handling of the car. The car is definitely much more stable and compliant. The old set up was very twitchy and know I have a lot more confidence in it. I was waiting to snap some pics and do a better full review of all the changes we put into it. I'll be sure to mention the suspension upgrades and it being tuned by a world class and renowned driver Billy Johnson. I should get a sticker or badge to show that off! I mean who else can claim that? :biggrin:

Vids would be awesome. Congrats on the setup. Is the quick response still there or do you feel like its been compromised a little?

Last edited:
Nice work!!!!

Vids would be awesome. Congrats on the setup. Is the quick response still there or do you feel like its been compromised a little?

Thanks, the quick response is still there, but it builds rather than punches you in the face. In the older tune and setup, the spool up and power burst was immediate and it was like a gut punch and the tires broke loose immediately. Now it builds a little more gradually and the tires will slowly begin to progressively break loose. I think the former was a lot more fun and impressive to passengers, the latter is more more functional.

I demand you take me for a ride! :biggrin:

Back