• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Learning on an NSX (or opinions needed from fathers with teenage sons!)

I think it totally depends on the individual.

I had a friend whose 40-something girlfriend wanted to learn to drive a manual (well, maybe he wanted her to learn to drive a manual, but maybe that’s another story and might be the reason for the, um, not-so-good outcome).

Since I fancy myself a manual-shift-whisperer, I volunteered my Miata. The car is light and very easy to get underway, and has a superb gearbox. I know enough to instruct someone to avoid abnormal clutch wear. My wife, herself averse to driving stick, even enjoys shifting the Miata.

I live on a 55-acre mostly rectangular lake, and the neighborhood traffic is only residents and visitors. It has eight 90-degree turns, and a stop sign at the two entrances to the development. Florida is monotonously flat, too, south of Orlando. Good venue to teach someone.

So, I gave her some of the basics, and showed her a few times, then put her in the driver’s seat. Immediately I realized this might not have been the best idea. But we soldiered on, with me using lots of patience, and with her trying not to get flustered.

It was going sort of OK. There was some trepidation at the stop sign, but mostly, she was sort of getting the hang of when to shift. But then came one of the 90-degree turns.

What I had NOT anticipated was that she was going to get so flustered about shifting that she would drive the car off the road. Yes, at the apex of the turn she drove the right side of the car onto grass, where the center of the car bottomed out on the pavement as one side’s tires were on the grass. BANG! Thank goodness there was no curb there!

Oh, crap. Turns out there was no damage at all, but we decided that was the end of the lesson. So, I decided then and there that if I am to instruct anyone, I don’t care who it is, it won’t be on any of my cars.

My $0.02.

I'm the father of three boys the oldest of which is 11. I, personally, won't teach my sons how to drive a stick on the NSX. The clutch is way to expensive to risk it. It would be like teaching someone to shoot with a 50cal. That being said I think there are relatively safe ways in which to teach someone to operate a clutch with very little risk. I heard it on Cartalk years ago. Basically you find an empty parking lot and let the person learning engage the clutch without using any throttle at all. If the car stalls then restart and do it again. Eventually they will learn the sweet spot of the clutch that allows them to roll away smoothly. No throttle means they will be less prone to burning the clutch. Good luck.

I've taught the basics to three people so far in the NSX - basics only, not leaving the parking lot. All started with the no throttle get a feel for the clutch method, and two of them made it up to where they were shifting back and forth 2-3 and doing some light throttle starts. No issues so far (knock on wood). For street driving I'll use something else.

Last edited:
I'm using mine as a sort of "graduation exercise" for my kids. I find it to be the easiest-to-drive manual out there (including my S2000), so it is a real confidence builder.

Think of the bragging rights your kid would have and my son has....The first car that they drove stick in is a rare NSX. In my day, I couldn't even dream of standing next to much less driving (or owning) an exotic supercar. The look on my son's face when I handed him those key's to the NSX is worth more than the price of a clutch. Honda clutches BTW, are much more durable than some of you guys give it credit. I've never had less than 140 K miles on a Honda clutch before replacement. My current one has 103K miles on it and my car is twin turbo'd.

I taught my daughter when she was 16 to drive a manual since I told her she could only own a manual car. Ever try to text and drive with a manual. Her 1st car was an old cobalt, she picked it up in about an hour. Then let her drive my 240z did great, moved her on to the mustang took her a little bit to get it(in fairness took me a little bit also) Forward to thanksgiving and I have had the NSX for a couple months now, she came home and I had no problem letting her drive it.

i guess the question is would I let her learn on the NSX? Not when clutches run over 1500 plus the 2 weeks it will take for me to put it in. I am babying mine now, except for the day at the track. I know it will need it soon, but already sunk a lot in to her and need to save up a couple bucks.

I let my dad drive my NSX shortly after I bought her...and immediately regretted it. It was the only time I let him behind the wheel of my car. At least he knew how to drive stick.

He taught me manual in his Corolla in an empty parking lot. I initially didn't quite get it, but was able to make it work. Weird thing is that playing an arcade game with a clutch (Hard Driving) actually helped me figure out why I wasn't as smooth as I could be.

Last edited:
Weird thing is that playing an arcade game with a clutch (Hard Driving) actually helped me figure out why I wasn't as smooth as I could be.

Wow, that brings back a memory. I used to love that game.

What happened?

I told him my NSX was still new and that I was told I should take it easy for a few hundred miles, but he wouldn't listen (and I found it more than a bit odd that he would punch it while we were in a quiet residential neighborhood with a primarily senior community). And then, despite my warning about bottoming out, he took a driveway without slowing down...and the front lip scraped pretty hard.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things, what happened was relatively minor...but, if he wouldn't listen to me then, I figured I could never trust him behind the wheel of my car.

Sad too...he spent his final years driving a Prius.

I have never owned a manual car before the NSX but I have taken some lessons with some of my friend's manual cars.

My two cents is that the NSX is not the best car to learn to drive stick on. (No power steering makes it harder)

But I had a friend who never drove stick drive my NSX with me instructing him and he did fine.

After owning one for week or two, I was able to smoothly shift when I want to and drop it when I want to. :wink:

I had a Prelude that I learned on for ~2mo before I sold it. And then didn't drive stick for a few years before getting my NSX. As long as you're not on hills and in a parking lot, shouldn't be too bad on the car. Saw that already went out with your son. Not so bad right?

On the most recent outing he was doing pretty well until we came up to a stop sign with some pedestrians crossing in front of us. He told me that he was having "trouble finding the clutch" and ended up killing the engine. But all-in-all it hasn't been too bad. I'm probably seeing a little extra clutch wear but he enjoys it. Once when we were out and I was driving a kid pulled up next to us in a 350Z at a light and wanted to race. Of course, I didn't take the bait and let him roar away. I then turned to my son and asked him if he would have raced the guy. His response was "honestly...yeah". Just one more consideration before letting your teenager borrow your NSX.

20+ years ago, and before I bought my NSX, I taught my son and one of my daughters to drive a stick. My daughter injured her knee playing field hockey at school one day and they took her to the hospital to check it out. She gave her keys to one of the boys at the game and asked them to drive her car home. She gets home from the hospital and her car hadn't made it home. About an hour later came a call from the embarrassed group of boys - none of them knew how to drive a stick. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back