• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leather seats.

I haven't been following the forum too closely over the last year, but I have a question. A while back there was a group buy on replacement seat leather and the photos of the product looked excellent. I know there were some issues with some of the members here, and I am not wanting to open up a can of worms, but who has the best fitting OEM looking replacement seat leather? My brother just acquired a 91 NSX with the Ivory seats and they need some help. Don't believe he has registered here yet, but I'll be pushing him to do so. In the meantime, I'm trying to help him fix a few minor blemishes on a very nice 91 Black on Ivory NSX.

seems like leatherseats is popular on this forum.

there is another company that was slightly cheaper and worked out well from what i've read as well exoticleather is their name. I am going to be going with exotic leather soon. I have ivory interior as well but will be switching everything to black slowly.

I just ordered a set from leatherseats.com. If you call them, they are doing a special for the NSX. This doesn't show up on the website. Its $595 shipped for factory spec leather seats. This will include vinyl on the back and back corners.....which is pretty much exactly how the factory seats are done anyways. The no longer offer the gathered leather centers though, so it will be flat smooth centers. This is fine though and will still look factory. There is a 2 week waiting period, but they do currently have a set of perforated leather seat covers in stock for $625 according to Tim (the rep I spoke to). Hope this helps a little :)

Thanks for the replys.
Could not find anything automotive related us exotic leather as mentioned above. Will try a little more later. Vi3tBoy, you have some contact info???

I had my 91 NSX Ivory interior re-done with Leatherseats,com. As you may know,the only leather in the seats is on the surfaces you actually sit on. The backs are vinyl. However, No one makes the Ivory vinyl anymore so you'll be ordering full leather seats which will be a little more expensive. Though even if I had a black interior I would spend the extra for Full leather. This is my dream car so only the best will do. The color that matches the closest is Ecstasy Off-White #212. It is far better than the original leather in quality and looks like it came with the car from the factory.

I also would suggest that, while the seats are out, you deep clean your carpet. When I finished the interior looked band new and smelled like a new baseball glove. The old Red 91 looked like it was still new. I dealt directly with Tim Broberg at Leatherseats.com. He's a good guy and will backup his product. His # is 866-639-7328 Ext.107

Do you recall if they had/have pics of the perforated covers?
I just ordered a set from leatherseats.com. If you call them, they are doing a special for the NSX. This doesn't show up on the website. Its $595 shipped for factory spec leather seats. This will include vinyl on the back and back corners.....which is pretty much exactly how the factory seats are done anyways. The no longer offer the gathered leather centers though, so it will be flat smooth centers. This is fine though and will still look factory. There is a 2 week waiting period, but they do currently have a set of perforated leather seat covers in stock for $625 according to Tim (the rep I spoke to). Hope this helps a little :)

I have no problem recommending leatherseats.com. Mine fit virtually perfect. Well, nothing is 100% perfect, but these were 99% perfect fit on my seats. Considering my seats were used to make the original first pattern it better have for my seats well. From installing these skins on my NSX, as well as another car I had, I can tell you the installation itself is the key. The harder you pull, the tighter you make it fit, the more sore your hands and finders, the better the final outcome will be.

Last edited:
Found these pictures of my new leather from Leatherseats.com. Like I said they are 100% leather all the way around (0 vinyl) and it is a softer, thicker leather than the stock hide. The pictures make it look whiter than it is but, it is the identical color of the stock seats. I hope this helps.

I've used leatherseats.com twice in the past on a previous vehicle. In both cases, it was the entry level leather kit with vinyl backs. The fit and finish was incredible. Very much OEM. However, the quality of the leather (and vinyl) was not good. They offer higher level grades of leather as well as full wrap. I'd recommend upgrading the leather type (they have different levels up to NAPA). Order a set of swatches. They're free.

If you go with leatherseats.com, you are probably looking at full coverage with upgraded leather. When I checked a couple months ago they could only get the ecstasy off-white in their premium leather. I have a sample they sent me and the color match with the oem ivory looks very good. Total price was about $1K, which is pretty good for a kit like this.

Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is that I would really like to preserve as much of the original leather as possible and I only have one problem panel on the driver's seat that has real issues. No, not the door side bolster...that small panel was replaced in Dallas when I picked up the car, and I wish that shop was local. The match on that panel is PERFECT. The problem panel is the large bolster panel on the passenger side of the driver's seat. Someone tried to clean it with something they shouldn't have used somewhere in the past and the result is a large section of discolored leather. What a shame. Still trying to find an oem leather seat cover that I can get this one panel from. But I may yet go with leatherseats.com for perforated centers. LOVE perforated center sections down here in the hot humid south.

tof, I thought the same as you about keeping the original leather. I only had a 1/4 inch tear at the seam on my bolster. And the leather itself, though it was still soft, was dingy. I felt that the original leather actually detracted from my car's pristine look. So I pulled the trigger on the Ecstasy Off-White #212 and yes it was $1k. Though I didn't go for the perforated seats as that would go against the original look of the car. The new leather made my NSX look like it did the day it left the factory but without the gathered leather. The softness and texture of the leather was definitely a step up from the original. If you have an Ivory interior, this is definitely the way to go.

I'd like to see what their perforated seats look like. Mine aren't bad, but I never like the gathered leather look.

They sent me some samples and the leather is textured(see pics) this is both the regular and ecstasy. But looking at the pictures on this forum they appear to be smooth. Did they send me the wrong ones.

photo.jpg

nope those are what they look like. but get the perferated version. whats the difference in the leatehr the extasy is more expensive is it worth it?

please let us know.

nope those are what they look like. but get the perferated version. whats the difference in the leatehr the extasy is more expensive is it worth it?

please let us know.
Your question wasn't directed to me and I sound like I work for Leather seats but I'm just sharing my experience. As I said earlier, It is my dream car. Since I was trying to keep it close to original with some minor improvements, cost wasn't the only factor and I wanted only the best. I wish there was a place to get the Ivory carpet. But after a deep cleaning, my interior looked factory new. Sadly, the car was totaled earlier this year and the insurance adjustor commented on the pristine condition of the 22 yr old car and specifically the interior which was key in their valuation of my car. They paid me about twice what I had in the car and that helped me afford the Orange Unicorn I'm driving now. So yes it was worth it. It still hurts not having the 91 but "we plan and God laughs".

To be honest it's the pebbled texture of the leather offered by leatherseats that kind of put me off. I love the smooth soft hand of the original leather when it is still in top condition.

To be honest it's the pebbled texture of the leather offered by leatherseats that kind of put me off. I love the smooth soft hand of the original leather when it is still in top condition.

It's the only reason I never pulled the trigger.

The company Vi3tBoy is talking about is actually called www.interior-innovations.com I just ordered a two-tone set, with matching stitching and they are going to embroider NSX into the head rest in Red foe an extra $25. They can also do door panels for $175. I ordered the whole sh-bang! Can't wait to see how it looks, as my seats were fading quite badly! If you haven't already purchased, check out their website.

The trick is take the seats to local upholstery shop with just a seat, not the car and ask for a quote. If asked, just say an Acura, most shops can take a seat apart, and make their own patterns. My friend just did mine in full leather perforated, and installed for much less than 1K. Just an idea.

I have also seen an NSX done in pleather, fake, If not told, I could not have told the difference:cool:

Last edited:
The trick is take the seats to local upholstery shop with just a seat, not the car and ask for a quote. If asked, just say an Acura, most shops can take a seat apart, and make their own patterns. My friend just did mine in full leather perforated, and installed for much less than 1K. Just an idea.

I have also seen an NSX done in pleather, fake, If not told, I could not have told the difference:cool:

Would real leather last longer & be more durable in car seats?

The company Vi3tBoy is talking about is actually called www.interior-innovations.com I just ordered a two-tone set, with matching stitching and they are going to embroider NSX into the head rest in Red foe an extra $25. They can also do door panels for $175. I ordered the whole sh-bang! Can't wait to see how it looks, as my seats were fading quite badly! If you haven't already purchased, check out their website.

Did you ever get these installed? do you have any pictures? How is the quality?

Leatherseats also has black Nappa leather available for a slightly higher price. I have a sample and it's super smooth with very little texture, similar to the original Honda leather.

I was recently part of the leatherseats GB and just finished installing them. The ability to do a contrasting center section in suede or Alcantara appealled to me (cooler in summer; warmer in winter) but having done that, I found that getting in/out is more difficult now. I hadn't appreciated that the OEM leather allows you to slide in so much easier.

Back