• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leather trim under the steering wheel lose

The leather on the trim piece below the wheel and your legs leather is loose at the bottom. Can i use double sided tape or spray glue? Or how show should this be fixed?

I repaired mine by hot gluing two metal tabs and drilling them to accept the two fastening screws that were formerly used on the broken plastic tabs

I tried to use the automotive spray glue and it just made a sticky mess.

I tried hot glueing it and when the car was real hot in side due to florida heat it was dripping on the carpet.

ended up buying a new one from a prime member.

they are about 180 at the dealership. I might get one someday just to have a spare.

So I'm guessing you guys had to remove the bolster before doing any sort of gluing?

I have the same problem but was actually thinking of reupholstering that section anyway. How do you remove it if so? I can't make much sense of the exploded diagram from the service manual. It looks like there are two screws that hold the bottom side in, and up top it is just a push in/pop tabs near the cluster. Do I have to remove the two screws that hold that underdash panel with the light, then find two screws underneath that for the bolster itself?

Thanks in Advance!

-Dan

its easy, there are 2 screw that hold the under panel with the light,

then there are 2 more screws that hold the bolster in place,

but that not all. there are these clips that clip into the cluster cover.

right where the pop-up light button is and the dimmer switch, then the other clip is above the ignition key hole under the TCS button.

if its never been taken off before you will break it off. so what I do is press on the cluster cover a little and pull on the leather a little it will click and your done.

or use a flat head screw driver to pry it from the cluster cover.

I used popsicle sticks (kids craft stuff) as shims and jacked the clips loose.

Used "liquid nails" around the perimeter of it, clamped it using spring clips over popsicle sticks. Came out looking pretty good.

Rebuilt the screw tabs on the bottom using surgical facial bone plates and 1.3 x 3mm screws. (just had them lying around)

If it is a problem again, I will just buy another - who has them? How much?

Last edited:
I just removed the knee bolster using the instructions here -- I have the same issue, all of a sudden the faux leather started coming loose. It took only about ten minutes to remove the bolster without breaking the clips.

This evening my wife will help me do the gluing. (Translation: She'll say, "Let me handle that.") I know not to attempt that myself. I'd end up gluing myself to the catalytic converter or something. I am forbidden to touch adhesives in our house. :)

I tried to remove the trim under the steering wheel several times, I never got to the screws, ok, but impossible to remove the clips, even pulling very strong, it does not move, I'm afraid break the clips, I glued the faux leather with neoprene contact adhesive (Pattex), allowed to dry 15 minutes and press hard, I repaired three years ago and there is no detachment: Cool:

I had the same problem...I just ordered a new one from Dalay....But, if you don't have the skills to repair it, just take it to an automotive upolstery shop...I am sure it would be less than a new one..plus the glue they use is an industial strength version of what you can buy at retail.

Had I know I would get so much extra leather from leatherseats.com when I ordered my seats, that is the route I would have gone.

Last edited:
Make repairs to the coating faux leather is easy, the harder it is to remove the knee pads, I'll be forced to order a new one because it will be impossible to remove without breaking the clips (they are fixed for 20 years): Frown:

Back