• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

lets face it the 1st generation nsx is a slow car

Amsoil is the first in synthetic and is years ahead of the game.

Not quite:

From Wikipedia:

Synthetic engine oil
In the mid 1960s Chevron U.S.A was the first to market and produce a complete range of 100% synthetic Polyalphaolefins based lubricants, which began to be marketed as a substitute for mineral oils for engine lubrication. Although in use in the aerospace industry for some years prior, synthetic oil first became commercially available in an American Petroleum Institute (API)-approved formula for automobile engines when standards were formalized for synthetic-based lubricants.

Other early synthetic motor oils marketed included "The Original Syn!" by SynLube in 1969, NEO Oil Company (formally EON) in 1970, which were dibasic acide esters, or diesters, and polyol esters-based synthetic lubricants. In 1971 All-Proof, now called Red Line, introduced a synthetic oil, followed fourth by Amsoil who packaged and resold a diester-based 10W40 grade from Hatco[8] in 1972, and then Mobil 1, introduced in North America in 1974 (with a PAO-based 5W20 grade).

Last edited:
Read this link - good link and perfect for this crazy thread that has just gone all over the place and is now pretty far off track - but then the track of the thread was bordering on the rediculous anyway! I hope it's about to wind the heck down and your link should be the last one - but had to thank you for posting AJ.

Not quite:

From Wikipedia:

Synthetic engine oil
In the mid 1960s Chevron U.S.A was the first to market and produce a complete range of 100% synthetic Polyalphaolefins based lubricants, which began to be marketed as a substitute for mineral oils for engine lubrication. Although in use in the aerospace industry for some years prior, synthetic oil first became commercially available in an American Petroleum Institute (API)-approved formula for automobile engines when standards were formalized for synthetic-based lubricants.

Other early synthetic motor oils marketed included "The Original Syn!" by SynLube in 1969, NEO Oil Company (formally EON) in 1970, which were dibasic acide esters, or diesters, and polyol esters-based synthetic lubricants. In 1971 All-Proof, now called Red Line, introduced a synthetic oil, followed fourth by Amsoil who packaged and resold a diester-based 10W40 grade from Hatco[8] in 1972, and then Mobil 1, introduced in North America in 1974 (with a PAO-based 5W20 grade).

First can be defined as first to make or first in quality or some attributes.

First can be defined as first to make or first in quality or some attributes.

Or whatever YOU want it to mean.:biggrin:

There are some very important differences between the type of oil Amzoil is and other synthetics.

Be advised that synthetic like Amzoil oil is ester based (diester) and considered by some engineers not the best choice for an internal combustion engine.

Or whatever YOU want it to mean.:biggrin:

There are some very important differences between the type of oil Amzoil is and other synthetics.

Be advised that synthetic like Amzoil oil is ester based (diester) and considered by some engineers not the best choice for an internal combustion engine.

I understand that the Amsoil diester base is not ideal for Rotary engines.

How is it not good for pistons?

I understand that the Amsoil diester base is not ideal for Rotary engines.

How is it not good for pistons?

It was explained to me by an engineer who works in that field that it is derived from a process that uses acid and alcohol. He suggested that while it is great for applications in aerospace and jet aircraft, that the hydrocarbons in the internal combustion can cause it to break down and become corrosive.

I am only relating what I was told, and this was from a top tier engineer in oil development and for formula one cars no less.

As i understand Amzoil, RedLine are diester based oils.

Last edited:
It was explained to me by an engineer who works in that field that it is derived from a process that uses acid and alcohol. He suggested that while it is great for applicationsa in areospace and jet aircraft, that the hydrocrabons in the internal combustion can cause it to break down and become corrosive.

I am only relating what I was told, and this was from a top tier engineeer in oil development and for formula one cars no less.

Amzoil, RedLine are diester based oils I understand.

Between my FC and FD RX7's I've logged well over 400k miles with Redline oil in both of them.

I used 20w50 and changed the oil very 10k miles (greater than the recommended 3k miles oil change intervals by Mazda).

Any oil related problems? ZERO.

The engine on the FC had 285k miles before i sold it. Never was rebuilt.

The FD was rebuilt a few times due to non-oil related issues (detonation and one over-heat from a leaking radiator). The mechanics that rebuilt the engines were shocked at how well the engine was NOT wearing down that they continued to use the same parts over and over other than installing new seals.

I'm sure the members of this board relish the idea that the NSX engine is superior to the Rotary engine.

With that in mind whatever a RX7 can handle in oil, the NSX should take it like a cake.

And is ur F1 engineer part of a team that actually wins races?
:tongue:

And is ur F1 engineer part of a team that actually wins races?
:tongue:

Yes. He is a head engineer for F1 oil developement.
As far as I know none of the oils unsed in F1 are diester based ie., Mobil1, Pennzoil, Castrol etc..

Thanks guys. I'm about to go home in a few hours and see my NSX in the driveway for the first time. It was just dropped off this morning.

This thread really makes me look foreward to going home and driving my SLOW NSX for the first time.

Gosh, I just can't understand why my 90 year old grandma can't do as many push ups as I can. That's ok, I'd rather spend my time with her than most other people I know. She's just made of better stuff.

Good.

I use Pennzoil Platinum which is better than Mobil1...........

That is your opinion. You know how many car forums argue this topic...:rolleyes:

Read this link - good link and perfect for this crazy thread that has just gone all over the place and is now pretty far off track - but then the track of the thread was bordering on the rediculous anyway! I hope it's about to wind the heck down and your link should be the last one - but had to thank you for posting AJ.

you're welcome. People are missing the point of just enjoying the car you love. Ah well, back to regular programming, scratch, meow.:smile:

Back