• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let's hear your stories, what was the dumbest thing a salesperson has said to you?

burbel said:
I just went through this thread, and think I figured out what makes car salesman so different, at least for someone from my background. I don't haggle. I don't know of any places that haggle. If I went into a furniture store and asked on a couch and they said $1500, I would either pay $1500 or walk. In fact the only thing I would consider bargaining on is a car, but with the internet now I don't really see doing that anymore - Honda.com or Ford.com lets you get the options and gives you the price - I would either be willing to buy at that price or pass. Now buying used equipment, then haggling would come into play. But I think this thread is just about how most people resent the ideas of haggling in modern society. I know I dislike doing it, and will avoid it when possible.

Haggling is hard work and somewhat painful. I know several people just like you who buy new cars at sticker price.
If dealerships sold cars to everyone at a discount where they were only making a few hundred $ then they would quickly go bankrupt. However so long as most people are paying close to sticker then they can afford to only make a few hundred $ on a few cars rather than let that business go to their competitors and let them move product and get the kickbacks for selling quantity. So by paying sticker you are subsidizing us and making it possible for us to save five grand on a new car. So please keep paying whatever they ask. In fact if you could throw in a couple of extra grand on top of what they are asking that would be great!

Thanks,

Patrick

H-carWizKid said:
So you would lump all car salesman into one big group to which you are prejudiced against when you walk through our doors?

Yep!

Anyway H-carWizKid, didn't you say you are not in the industry anymore??? So therefore, you must have been one of the "nice guys" that didn't last! :wink:

AU_NSX said:
Yep!

Anyway H-carWizKid, didn't you say you are not in the industry anymore??? So therefore, you must have been one of the "nice guys" that didn't last! :wink:

:smile: True...

I made a lot of friends in that business, and many of them are still attached to it in some way. I will tell you that automotive salespeople are often some of the most flambouyant and colorful people you will ever meet. It helps keep things tolerable when you are putting in all those hours, with the kind of stress they work with.

Cheers to everyone in this thread- Good luck with the battle.

Haggling is a tax on my time.

If I am buying a car from and individual or dealership that is fair, honest and completely up front with me then I will be equally so with them. I bought my NSX at fair market price from a very nice person, and it was a minimal burden on my time. We were both completely honest and at the end of it we both felt we got a fair deal.

Some dealerships or people assume buyers are stupid or poorly informed and intend on taking advantage of them. I am neither, and it REALLY pisses me off when I am misled or decieved. If you've insulted me and have started wasting my time, the idea of 'a fair amount of profit' goes right out the window. Its all about the bottom dollar, and I will spend whatever research/negotiation time is neccessary to get it. I not only intend on getting my original fair deal, I will get compensated beyond that for the time you've made me waste to get it.

The rationale that it is 'ok to rip people off because they should have known better' holds ZERO credibility with me.

Back