• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let's Put Together a NSX

Coz

Legendary Member
From what I can tell, this website has the most knowledgeable, been around participates I have seen. So, I have a favor to ask and it might be fun.

Let's start with what in the opinion of the owners that have NSX's would be the best car to start with. Say something between a 1993 to 1995 vs 1997 in great condition.

Then lets figure out the best mods to use, who's and the prices for these mods.

I guess the best way to do this would figure out the mods and then add the price of the car to the mods.

Everything from Motor mods including supercharging to brakes, air intake, computer chip, suspension and wheels.

It's not a price is no object situation. Just curious to see what kind of money it takes to set a NSX up that would be a trick daily driver from the guys that have been there and are doing just that.

Thanks. Appreciate the help.
I will run a list of what's been done and the costs and post it when we finish the car.

You've combined too many (three) different type NSX's to get a clear single set of answer here. The 91-94, 95-96, and 97-01 are very different from each other. I suggest that you narrow this down to one type model. For example, using only 91-94, 95-96, or 97-01. Clearly, the 97-01 model doesn't need the same mods as with the 91-94 model. Furthermore, the Targa (95-01) has different needs from the coupe (91-01). A more specific question will get built a more specific car.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Stock, except Dunlaptya SP9000s

[This message has been edited by NSXY (edited 16 January 2001).]

OK, let me put this question to you.
Would it be better to start with an earlier car and do more mods,
or better to start with a 97 and do less mods ?
The reason I threw the 97 in there was because of the 6 spd and more HP. Which would eliminate the need for the gear changing, short gears or the major cost of replacing the trans in an earlier year car to a 6 spd..

Just ask Alex....He should know, have you seen HIS sled!!!
biggrin.gif
It's got everything on that list and more.

NSXY,
Thinking about this, I see what your saying. Too many variables.
Let go at it like this. If I were to buy a 2000 vette. I would spend 35,000.00 and another 3 in mods for the hardtop and 50 for Z06.
So let's say I had a 45,000.00 budget to work with.
What would you do?

I have the same question as cozman, but im looking into the market for a used 91-92, as that is the only years i can fit into my budget. What are the things that u can do to it that delievers the most?

No, but I would love to see it.

Originally posted by Craig:
Just ask Alex....He should know, have you seen HIS sled!!!
biggrin.gif
It's got everything on that list and more.

I agree Blue.
There's only so much money to work with, for me anyway. And whatever I do or buy, I want the best possible bang for my buck. Weather I buy or build.
I am tired of getting beat up over repair bills. And that's what scares me about buying something that is already 6 to 10 years old. Acura or not.
Maybe we'll get some feed back and get closer to the answers we're looking for.

Since you're talking about performance "enhancements" anyway, why not start with a low mileage '91 coupe and start replacing parts. Since you'll probably be replacing items like brakes, clutch, intake, suspension, and the like, repair of these 10 year-old parts will no longer be a issue.
JMO

The other thing you're ignoring is that different people have different needs. One person might take his car on the track and do mods to the suspension and brakes. Another might go to the dragstrip and only care about acceleration. Another might use his car as a daily driver and only swap for longer-lasting but lower-performance tires. There's no single equation of "bang for the buck" that fits every person's needs. Chaque a son gout.

If I were to pin point what I would want out of my car, which is how I dive my Porsche currently.

I drive faster than most, ( I think ) love to corner hard, run the gears out and just play as much as I can without getting tickets. I am pretty hard on my cars, I care for them very well and they want for nothing, but I do drive them hard. I guess that comes from all my years as a professional Horse Jockey. I rode over 8000 races in my career. Going fast is just something that will always be in my blood. But as we know, speed and performance cost money. The more money you have, the faster you get to go.

I like the idea Chops has. Since we are talking about taking a car and modifing the heck out of it, let's start with an earlier year. Again, I was only thinking 97 becasue of the 6 spd, more HP and the other upgrades that have already been done by the factory.

I figure a 91-92 could be had for around 25 to 30. The only problem can be getting financing for a car that is this old. But that can be handled. I financed 15,000.00 on my 90 Porsche without problem. But would need to finance some of it so that I could use my cash to do the mods.

I appreciate you helping me work through this. I am serious about amking the right decision and this time actually hanging on to the car and concentrating on making it better instead of selling it and moving into something else. Which I am getting tired of doing.

Blue,
I just looked up Auto Service Contacts for an expended warranty. They will issue an extended warranty for a 92 for 48 months/48000 miles for 2500.00. Which isn't bad considering the peace of mind it brings. So my thinking is that this allows much more consideration for a 92 or 93 to start with.

Originally posted by bluesaint:
if anything im more concerened about the pain in the arse stuff such as water pumps, fuel pumps, bushings, xmission

If you have your car checked out thoroughly, you can skip the aftermarket warranty. It's a loser. See the related thread on extended warranty and the remarks of David reiterating my remarks in more digestible form.

--twc

P.S. A 97(+) coupe is the best place to start for a hotrod NSX, but they're extremely rare...

Originally posted by Cozman:
They will issue an extended warranty for a 92 for 48 months/48000 miles for 2500.00.

Cozman-
I am going to try to answer comments from the other thread and this one at the same time. Understanding you are a Porsche owner, I see why you want the warranty. No flames from Porsche owners, I like Porsche;'s personally but it is a fact they are not as reliable as Acuras. Read David's comment above, that is typical of most Acura / Honda owners. Now, having been in many Corvette's, they are rickety, rattely, etc., and I would venture that a 10 year old Acura is more structurally sound than an Corvette.

With more of an unlimited budget, I would do the '97+ and mod from there. That is what I am doing with a '98 (slowly as my budget is not unlimited). With a $50-60k budget I would get a '91-'92 and mod from there over a C5 or Z-06. I think you will END UP with a superior NSX over even the Z-06, more refined, something you dont see on the road every day, etc....

As warranty seems very important to you, you can simply use some of your mod budget for the warranty you mention above. I think you would be better servied to just deal with issues as they arrise rather than invest $2500 up front on a warranty.

You can do supercharger, brakes, sway bar, clutch, and wheels / tires for $20k. $30k for car = $50k for a ROCKET that handles great.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

Points well taken Justin. Thanks...

Cozman, Alex's car is pictured somewhat at Dali Racings web site under Groupe M As I believe Alex V. and Mark J. are the N. America Groupe M Distributers. It's the red one w/ the big super charger and black tecno wheels...you cant miss it.

Personally I have a '91 w/ 92k on it and is as new...Dealer checked...rock solid... Although the previous owner probably never took it to redline as he was an older gentleman using the car as a commuter veh.

I have added intake, exhaust, wheels, tires and various other small mod's and will be adding all the brake and suspension mod's soon. Because I bought the car so low (the Owner was having $$ probs) I can still turn the car at current market rate and make $$$ on it. And believe me you won't have a problem keeping up with vette's or anything of the sort. Even a '91 is a world class car with technology that is, even by todays standards, cutting edge. GO FOR IT!!!!!
biggrin.gif
(I just dig the big grin)

Thanks Craig, I appreciate the imput.

Having owned honda b4 i know they don't break very easily, but for you guys with 91-93 NSX's, what are some of the first things to go wrong? Im mainly talking about things under the hood. As for other stuff such as suspension, exhaust, brakes, clutch, flywheel, etc etc. those im planning to change either way once I buy the car as I want this to be a autox/road race setup.

getting closer to making a decision. Would like to hear what everyone one has to say about the 2 choices after hearing what several have had to say.
Looking around, I figure I can trachj down a 91 to 92 for around 25,000.00.

Here is a list of mods that I would want to do before even driving the car for any length of time. But it and then drop it off to be done.

Using RM Racing for all the parts and his numbers. Which I'm sure if I got everything from him he would make me a better deal. These prices don't include the labor of putting it all on. Some of which I'll do myself. And if he won't deal, I am sure I can find another vendor that will.

I am using this as a comparison for putting together a car Vs. buying a 97, driving it the way it is and doing mods down the road as I go. The numbers come out pretty close to being the same.

Here they are:
NSX BUILD OUT
Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System: RM Racing $1,299.00
Stainless Steel Headers: RM Racing $1,299.00
Carbon Fiber Air Intake with Cold Air Upgrade: RM Racing $345.00
Sway Bars: RM Racing $299.00
Sport Springs: RM Racing $399.00
Aluminum Strut Bar: RM Racing $255.00
Big Brake Kit: RM Racing $3,999.00
Slotted Rotors: RM Racing $595.00
Short Gear Set: RM Racing $799.00
Ring & Pinion: RM Racing $899.00
High Performance Clutch: RM Racing $1,299.00

SUB-TOTAL $11,487.00

Super Charging: Comtech $10,000.00
Wheels & Tires: Wharehouse $3,500.00

SUB-TOTAL $24,987.00

CAR: 1991 $25,000.00

TOTAL $49,987.00 * W/O labor charges.

Vs. a 1997 which I figure with some hard core looking can be had for around 50, to 55,

What do you think guys ?

I believe if I had that kind of money to work with (60k range). I would consider these two options.

1.) Nice early model nsx (30k)
6-speed conversion (7k)
I/H/E (3k)
Twin turbo kit and all the trimmings (15k)
Wheels, suspension (5k

* I could be off high or low on these numbers, but that's a ballpark. That would be one killer car. You may not even need the 6 speed with the twins, that would be preference.

2.) Since you are a Porsche man anyway.

94 3.6 turbo

just my 2 cents
wink.gif

After reading your previous post, the 91 supercharged would be way more fun to drive I believe vs a stock 97, Just depends if you want 55 to 60k in a 91 model nsx.

yeah cozman, serious if you really had that type of $ to start with, get a later model with lower miles and more power to start with. Im only going with 91-92 because I can't afford anything else after putting over $50k to my Impreza. Hoping i can buy my nsx december or something this year =)

Thanks Jason.
No More Porsches !!!! :))

Back