• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let's Put Together a NSX

Well I figure it this way Blue. You only live once. I'll go into hock up to my eyeballs either way. But what the hell. I am right at 25,000.00 cash in hand and will finance the car, or most of it anyway.
Your point is well worth considering though. The 97 would be worth what I am into it. The 91 would never be worth what I am into it except to me. The 97 would also require less modes. But any mods would have to wait considering I would be all $ into it.

It's either this or a Z06. But either way, I am going to do something in the next 30 days.

Just had a great conversation with Jim at Comptech. Here's what we have come up with. He figures this car would be close to 400 HP.

Stainless Exhaust System: 1595.00
Stainless Steel Headers:1100.00
Air Intake: 700.00
Adjustable Suspension Upgrade:1400.00
Sway Bars:Wonldn't Need
Sport Springs:Wouldn't Need
Aluminum Strut Bar:
Big Brake Kit: Fronts Only: 4000.00
Slotted Rotors:Included: Fronts only
Short Gear Set:1100.00
Ring & Pinion:2000.00
High Performance Clutch:2100.00
Super Charging: Comtech: 10,000.00

Totals 21,195.00 Parts
Labor 5,000.00 Installation
Total 26,195.00 Parts and Labor
Wheels 3,500.00
Car 25,000.00
Total $ 54,695.00

to upgrade to a 6 spd with gears and pinion, add another 6000.00

That's a lot to be into a 91.

The only thing i don't know about that setup is the Supercharger. I don't know how strong the engine internals are in the 91-95's comapred to the 97+ NSX's engine block is not bullet proof like the SUpra =) Esp for being 9 year old model i dunno how reliable it is to SC and expect to last that long. I don't own a NSX so i can be wrong, but just deducting my reasoning base on my general knowledge. But luckly for me I do all the mods on my own car, suspension, engine work etc. so i won't have to worry bout $5k of labor =)

[This message has been edited by bluesaint (edited 17 January 2001).]

Originally posted by Cozman:

IMO very much worth it if you plan on keeping the car for awhile. Gets back to what your overall long term intention is. I bet you would want a sway bar, but that is cheap. What you describe would be one hell of a car.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

Just had a great conversation with Jim at Comptech. Here's what we have come up with. He figures this car would be close to 400 HP.

Stainless Exhaust System: 1595.00
Stainless Steel Headers:1100.00
Air Intake: 700.00
Adjustable Suspension Upgrade:1400.00
Sway Bars:Wonldn't Need
Sport Springs:Wouldn't Need
Aluminum Strut Bar:
Big Brake Kit: Fronts Only: 4000.00
Slotted Rotors:Included: Fronts only
Short Gear Set:1100.00
Ring & Pinion:2000.00
High Performance Clutch:2100.00
Super Charging: Comtech: 10,000.00

Totals 21,195.00 Parts
Labor 5,000.00 Installation
Total 26,195.00 Parts and Labor
Wheels 3,500.00
Car 25,000.00
Total $ 54,695.00

to upgrade to a 6 spd with gears and pinion, add another 6000.00

[/QUOTe

I can tell you, if you want to do road course, you can forget about getting a Targa. I have 2 friends sold their 1995, 1997, 1999 NSX-T due to structure rigidity. One has a 2000 NSX coupe and another has a 1991 coupe with alot of mods.

The friend that has a 1991 with 50K in mods and he paid 40K for the car July, 2000 for a mint condition car. His mods are everything above and Tien coil over, rear brembo brakes, racing seats, harness bar, harness, six speed with 4.55 R&P, 2 sets of technomagnesium wheels 1 with Hoosier 1 with street tires.

That is 50K of mods without even getting into the engine. Now he is getting the 9 psi comptech SC and possible S-zero seats that runs around $14K. That would put his car to $90K + $14K + $1500 = $104,500 for a 91. Now that is expensive. As for 400 hp, I don't know, he only put down 308 rwhp but I had the same performance mods and put down 321 rwhp and 33r rwhp last year.

As NSXTACY says, it is all about how you like it. If you want fun, getting a early model and put mods will give you the most fun for sure.

If you want fun, getting a early model and put mods will give you the most fun for sure.

And if you want fun for the money, an early stock coupe can actually do pretty darn well. For around $30K (it's tough to find a decent one for $25K) you can get an awful lot of fun, even without spending a lot on mods.

Originally posted by Khuang:

I can tell you, if you want to do road course, you can forget about getting a Targa.
[/B]

I hear these comments periodically, so there must be SOME validity, but frankly I dont agree. I think it is true for early Targa's, but my understanding is the chasis of the post '97's is more rigid.

I ran at Thunderhill last year when my NSX was stone stock. I was faster than most (used to avoid offending anyone) in my run group and had no problem with the fact that my NSX is a targa.

With that said, if Cozman's intent is to heavily modify a early NSX I would get the coupe, but if he were to go later model I dont think there would be an issue with the targa.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

Originally posted by justin hall:
I hear these comments periodically, so there must be SOME validity, but frankly I dont agree. I think it is true for early Targa's, but my understanding is the chasis of the post '97's is more rigid.

One friend had a 97 and changed to a 2000 coupe and one friend had a 99 an changed to a 94 then 91 coupe. Both are deeply involve into road racing. Also I believe you are correct that the 97+ targa is stronger, but not near as strong as the coupe.

Both friends have 2001 S2000 and says the S2000 chassis is actually more rigid than the 97+ Targa. I think it is how particular one likes his car to be. I asked how his 2000 coupe NSX chassis compare to S2000, he says it is much stiffer than the S2000.

Now, everyone knows some people are very sensitive to changes. I can guarantee if you road race alot (not me), one can easily tell the handling difference in a targa vs. coupe. I would think NSXTACY can easily tell if he drives a targa around the track.

If you feel comfortable with your Targa at the track, that is great. Most of us go to the track to have fun, not to compete with Z06, Ferraris, etc.

I also think most people would pick a targa over a coupe because I think most people like the air.

FYI: I was at Laguna Seca last saturday watching people do some laps, a S2000 was flying. I think it was faster than the C5s, Mustang Cobra with all new rear ends, M3s, Porsche 996 C4, and probably just as fast as the Viper.

It was incredible, the guy must be a pro or something.

Thanks All, I really appreciate the comments.

Hey Khuang, I used to be the Director of Operations for a Hotel Group and one of the properties I was responsible for was the Holiday Inn in Olathe, KS, as welll as the Holiday Express. Small world.

Thanks All, I really appreciate the comments.

Hey Khuang, I used to be the Director of Operations for a Hotel Group and one of the properties I was responsible for was the Holiday Inn in Olathe, KS, as welll as the Holiday Express. Small world.

That's cool, I like the living in this area, no NSX friends here though.

yes, it's a beautiful area.
i was there for almost 1 1/2 years and never saw one NSX.

I "settled" for a 2000 T because it is next to impossible to get a new Coupe (my preference being a track guy). Although now that its winter it is finally cool enough to take to top off and I'm enjoying the hell out of it on the street.

Without a doubt, with the T off even the rearview mirror shakes at idle, and on a bad road I can (or feel like I can) notice the torsional flex. However on the track I did not have any issues, and doubt that anyone but the most hardcore NSX owners here would.

But haven't really experienced a coupe yet so I can only speak from one side.

Wow! What a response. It looks like you're going down the right track with the Comptech set-up, but why aren't you doing any aftermarket swaybars? Do you plan on installing the non-compliance rear beam? The car may be a little on the sloppy side without it. JMO
And if you can justify the expense, go for the 6-speed. I have the Shorties and the 4.23 R&P and love it!! But that 6-speed is awfully sweet. Especially with the blower!

I am serious about this and making the right decision. made to many mistakes in the past when it comes to cars, don't want to make another one. My lastest Porsche kicked my butt money wise.
Jim at comptech told me that if I did his suspension upgrade, I wouldn't really need them. If down the road I wanted them, it would be no problem to add them. when you refer to the rear bean, are you talking about the sway bar ?
I love the idea of the 6 spd gearbox, but considering the cost so far, that will have to be a down the line item.

Jim was also telling me to consider waiting a year to see what Acura comes out with next. He said his contacts at Acura say they are coming out with a 400 HP NSX that will have most of the mods anyone could want and is supposed to priced in the 50's. He said that is going to be the car to have.

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
Wow! What a response. It looks like you're going down the right track with the Comptech set-up, but why aren't you doing any aftermarket swaybars? Do you plan on installing the non-compliance rear beam? The car may be a little on the sloppy side without it. JMO
And if you can justify the expense, go for the 6-speed. I have the Shorties and the 4.23 R&P and love it!! But that 6-speed is awfully sweet. Especially with the blower!

I like how you "settled" for a 2000 T....
:))

Sources told me that a NSX with 400hps is on the horizon powered by a V8 for $50k range. I've heard this from different tuning shops. Supposely to directly compete with z06's, viper and those other cars in that class. But who knows how the quality will be tho for that price. Those new M3's are pretty nice tho =) too bad i hate maintenace on euro cars

But who knows how the quality will be tho for that price.

I gotta believe the quality is going to be as good as their producing now. I couldn't see them taking a major step backwards after creating such a nice car and loyal following.

But when this day comes, get ready, there will be as many NSX's on the road as there are vettes.

i would really hope not. Takes away part of the reason im getting nsx =) called "i have it and you don't" LOL
tongue.gif

I know what you mean.

Originally posted by bluesaint:
i would really hope not. Takes away part of the reason im getting nsx =) called "i have it and you don't" LOL
tongue.gif

Hey Cozman,
I definately would get the 91 and mod the crap out of it. I sure wish I'd saved the $15k or so I paid on my 94 and did some of the upgrades you listed. You know, if you shop around a little bit on some of the NSX classified sites, you might be able to stretch that $25k further than you thought. There are always good deals on exhaust, rims, brakes, etc.. floating around. The only down side I see is that you can't get it all at one time. Something to think about anyway. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide. Just hurry up and buy something so you can start enjoying it!

There is a lot of speculation going on here. To clear up a few misunderstandings and answer a few questions I've seen in the thread:

1. The '97+ block is the same as the '91-'96.

2. To date there are no NSX engine failures attributed to the CT supercharger kit.

3. If you are concerned about bang-for-the-buck, a $700 CF intake is not worthwhile. They look and sound cool but the performance difference, if any, is negligable esp. relative to the price vs. the cheaper ones or probably even vs. stock. The NSX does not suffer from a huge intake inefficiency like some cars.

4. If you are talking about heavily modifying the car, an extended warranty is useless for drivetrain components.

5. There is no "RM Racing" Ring & Pinion set. There is only the Honda NSX-R 4.23 and the Comptech 4.55. RM resells the Honda NSX-R one (as does Dali). Comptech sells both I believe.

6. I would expect to pay at least $55k for any well maintained '97 in good condition unless it was high miles.

7. The CT adjustable suspension kit is probably overkill unless you track the car a lot. Most people will be perfectly happy with standard Koni/Bilstein & Eibach/H&R/etc. setup for hundreds less. Get the sway bars with the difference in $ and you'll probably be happier.

8. A '97+ -T will do fine on a road course for "fun" use. I wouldn't buy one to build a race car, but they are more than adequate for people who go to the track for non-competitive events like drivers schools.

9. Khuang - How did this guy rack up an extra $28k in mods with just over half that in extra parts cost? Even if you allocate $2500 more for the suspension, $5k more for the full big brakes vs. front-only, $3k more for the 6-speed vs. rebuilding 5-speed w/ short gears/R&P, $3500 for a second set of wheels, $1000 for a harness bar kit you're only up to around $15k additional cost. Either there are more mods not listed or those must be some expensive racing seats he installed...

10. "Contacts at Acura" and "sources" at "tuning shops" translate to: people who read the same rumors in the automotive press as the rest of us. None of these people has the true inside on the next NSX. There are a lot of reasonable assumptions that can be made about the next gen NSX... but they are just assumptions at this point.

Khuang - How did this guy rack up an extra $28k in mods with just over half that in extra parts cost? Even if you allocate $2500 more for the suspension, $5k more for the full big brakes vs. front-only, $3k more for the 6-speed vs. rebuilding 5-speed w/ short gears/R&P, $3500 for a second set of wheels, $1000 for a harness bar kit you're only up to around $15k additional cost. Either there are more mods not listed or those must be some expensive racing seats he installed...

Would that be $26.5K (from all the parts added above by someone) + 15K = $41.5K + Comptech non-compliance bushing, racings tires, street 18" tires, shipping the car in enclosed trail to the mechanic and back, etc. Not everybody shops around for the best prices and all mods are done at once. If a guy even consider buying S-zero seats for $14K, do you think he shops around?

BTW, I don't know if the S-zero seat costs $7K each?

Lud,

I hate to be nit-picky, but the 3.2 block is not the same as the 3.0 block. With the earlier block, you can easily press in ductile cylinder liners (a good idea with forced induction or NOS), but the later block uses a 'crystaline' forging method similar to Porsches, which makes it difficult to do this.

As to the fantasy NSX, if you are going to throw money at it, then deck the block, drop in forged pistons and ductile cylinder liners and go with a higher PSI turbo and progammable engine management. Might as well make big hp if you're going to spend big $.

Thanks james. Appreciate the nice thoughts.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide. Just hurry up and buy something so you can start enjoying it![/B][/QUOTE]

Back