• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lexus LFA Smashes record at the ring

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/02/...sinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)&utm_content=FaceBook

Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package smashes Nordschliefe production record with 7:14 lap

The web is afire with news that Lexus has managed to demolish the standing production-car record at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. The news comes courtesy of EVO Magazine's own Chris Harris and Lexus itself via the miracle of Twitter. Lexus test driver Akira Iida reportedly managed to twist the LFA Nürburgring Edition around the infamous circuit in 7:14. If true, that time puts the carbon-fiber exotic four-seconds ahead of the previous production-car champion, the Porsche 911 GT2 RS, at 7:18, and it puts the LFA Nürburgring Edition in the top five quickest vehicles to ever run the track.

I'm verry happy for them, the car is truly remarkable. The LFA is the only car I will ever trade my NSX for, it will take me a lot of time untill i can afford one but maybe someday :).

All this just coming from a "lexus".
(Where are the bmw and mb with their supercar?:rolleyes: Sorry to sound a little negative but these guys were constantly bashing on lexus:tongue:)

I'm verry happy for them, the car is truly remarkable. The LFA is the only car I will ever trade my NSX for, it will take me a lot of time untill i can afford one but maybe someday :).

No kidding.

NSX+$300,000 more to go:biggrin:

:cool:Is time someone build a NSX just for speed and handling and go beat the record...Maybe Ross's STMPO NSX with the four banger in it could do it? Any takers? :cool:

regardless of the time, i really do like the LFA. i don't own an NSX because it is the fastest anything... the total package of driving it is what i like and Toyota focused on what was important to a supercar. the responsiveness of the car, the seating position, the engine noise, etc. makes the car... and although many say its not very attractive, it looks like a proper Japanese Supercar.

the GT-R is great... but its not really a Supercar, just a Supercar Killer. to me, its no different than my built WRX or a built STI/ EVO.

I saw the LFA at the Concour's De Elegance in Plymouth, MI
last month. It is attractive and muscular in it's own way.
Kind of like the GTR. I'd like to know what the McLaren could
achieve on that track.

crazy I was just talking about this car this morning at breakfast...

it truly is an amazing car! Very Impressive everything

I had the privilege to inspect the LFA quite "intimately" and in my opinion and that of a couple of automotive engineers, it is at par with the most exotic of cars made in the last 10 years. I also had a chance to attend the assembly of an Enzo at the factory back in 2002 and i can vouch the LFA's materials, assembly and fit and finish are superior. I am not surprised Totyota made very little if any profit with the LFA. It is worth every penny IMO.
It is common knowledge that the Enzo made a handsome profit for Ferrari. I would put the LFA at the same level as the Carrera GT, cars that are made with no regard to profitability just a showcase of engneering and quality. The SLS and R8 are production cars with off the shelf parts and assembly lines like the P911 and F458's.

Last edited:
I think Kid is referring to the SLS, not the LFA. His quote doesn't even mention the LFA.

Correct, no one ever denied the fact the LFA wasnt a true super car. :wink:

MP4-12C will be interesting...

I'd like to know what the McLaren could achieve on that track.
Ditto! I believe the stock MP4-12C would be very close or better it.

This special-edition LF-A w/ Nürburgring Package did N'ring in 7.14s. The GT2-RS did N'ring in 7.18s. The standard LF-A did N'ring in 7.38s.

The GT2-RS hasn't done Dunsfold yet, whereas the MP4-12C did Dunsfold in 1:16.2s. The standard LF-A did Dunsfold (wet) in 1:22.3s.

Lotsa goodie info here: www.fastestlaps.com/raceways.html

Last edited:
VIDEO??

Regarding the MP4. McLaren tried it once and the car had a MAJOR off and was basically totaled. I haven't heard anything about them going back as of yet.

Here's the story. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

McLaren has denied rumours that it was attempting to set a Nurburgring lap record when an MP4-12C crashed into the barriers at a fast speed.

Witnesses at the circuit said that the 592bhp twin turbo McLaren supercar was going ‘flat out’ immediately before the incident which occurred away from the public’s view near the Nordschliefe Zufahrt car park on Friday.

Bloggers on the Nurburgring wrote on bridgetogantry.com that ‘tyres were screaming and witnesses reported the sound of a large impact. Shortly afterwards a covered truck recovered a wrecked car.’

The crash which took place at high speed is thought to have taken place towards the end of a scheduled test session at the circuit fondly known as the ‘Green Hell’ and sparked suggestions that McLaren had been trying to set an official lap time in a MP4-12C ahead of the first deliveries of the car to customers.

A spokesperson for McLaren told evo magazine that this was not the case saying ‘The run came as part of the development program. The car was out there completing laps as part of ongoing tests and wasn’t trying to set a benchmark time. At this point we’re not trying to set lap times but we’re confident that the car will be very fast around the Nürburgring when the time comes. The data that we’ve gathered so far is extremely promising.’ He then added that ‘The MP4-12C involved in the incident wasn’t even a production spec car.’

The spokesperson for the supercar manufacturer based in Woking, UK did not confirm whether the crash on Friday at the Nurburgring was caused by driver error or a technical malfunction but did say that the car had been returned to McLaren’s Technical centre for further investigation.

VIDEO??

Regarding the MP4. McLaren tried it once and the car had a MAJOR off and was basically totaled. I haven't heard anything about them going back as of yet.

any word on the condition of the driver?:eek:

Back