• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Production Body Spied @ the 'Ring

I hate to agree but I agree. The look has aged so much in the 2 yrs. Even the TLX has rounded out the sharp 2010 Autobot look.

I appreciate any enthusiasm some may have for this car, but I'm setting my expectations really low. I believe they did an excellent job with the interior, and the drivetrain looks promising. However, it's immature wedgy appearance has really aged for me in just 2 years, and it doesn't even approach the finesse and sex appeal of a 650s (I really don't like), yet alone a 458 speciale. '400hp+' from the gasoline engine alone is not enough either, and by the time it arrives in showrooms, it will have to contend with the likes of the R36 GTR and the turbocharged v8 successor to the Italia, in addition to the already insane crowd of supersports cars. Now I know that it's an "Acura", and maybe I should be comparing it to a 911 or Cayman, but if you're going to build a supercar, it is utterly pointless to create something mediocre. I should mention that I often can't stand the Italian crowd, but if I had to spend $250k on an Italia or $150k on the "NSX" +$100k cash in my pocket today, I'd take the Ferrari any day, unless drastic improvements are made.

I must admit that I find the lines of this running prototype nicer than the models shown at the auto show. I really like the over lines of the car and am delighted to see that they widening the intakes behind the door resulting in accentuation of the buttresses...very nice. I realize that some of you like the longer car, but for me the shorter appearance of this car is more appealing. I saw some other spy shot that were taken from an elevated frontal view and the car looked amazing. Center exhaust looks cool!

This batch of photos and videos really made my day! Now I have to go back to work to save up some $$ to pick one up when finally become available.

ARGH!! Was really hoping the concept's mirrors that integrated into the floating A-pillar would make the final design. It was my favorite aspect of the concept, and now the mirrors look like a bulbous afterthought. The one thing that was decidedly integrated into the design......gone.

finally some commotion!

thankfully I think the headlights are simply a last minute functionality aspect of the prototype. They probably dont have a usable/perfect example yet of the angled and sharp jewel eye of the concept that would provide a proper beam. (that, or they just dont want the final version seen? who knows)

If you look closely at the blue concept that went around Mid-Ohio months (year?) ago, it also utilized these standard-issue projector headlights. There was just heavy tinting on them at the time. I wouldnt doubt an appearance of NSX jewel eyes to make it for the production....not with the MDX, RLX, and TLX soon to be sporting them! major fail on acura if they dont continue theme. especially on the halo! BMW and Audi seem to understand this. Coordination is key ;-)

P.s. anyone else surprised that most of the articles posted today lack the word TURBO? Seems they have all forgotten the setup was announced to be both longitudinal and twin turbo out back....or did i miss something hahah. acura wimp out on us??!??!

I too noticed the rear view mirrors appeared to be almost "tacked" on in appearance. I just assume that for this test mule they re-used parts from their parts bin. In some of the more close-up shots, they look like they were pulled from one of their sedans.

Also, on the more detailed close-up images, they used different from and rear wheel designs. Personally, the front wheel design looks more aggressive and upscale (at least to me) than the rears.

Honestly I think it looks like a Civic and R8 had a love child. Totally agree no NSX anywhere in there.

Don't worry, they will just inject some additional "engine" sound into the cabin with the audio system...
Who wants that crap?

Perhaps Honda is listening?! Many of us have voiced our desired for a larger side scoop and longer integrated rear spoiler before. Just look at my old renderings of the proposed homage to the original:

NSXEvoComparo_zpsfbe581bb.jpg

On the side note, the roof line looks like it grew some =( I hope it's just the unflattering close angle lens that makes the new prototype look more bulbous...

- - - Updated - - -

Your two first renderings ( especially the red one ) are IMO nicer than what Honda did. I like very much your front which is much smaller. It gives the car a real exotic and aggressive look à la Lamborghini Diablo.

Also another must, staggered wheels like the original NSX ...

ARGH!! Was really hoping the concept's mirrors that integrated into the floating A-pillar would make the final design. It was my favorite aspect of the concept, and now the mirrors look like a bulbous afterthought. The one thing that was decidedly integrated into the design......gone.

I agree ...

Last edited:
As of now: A wee bit too chunky looking and not very sleek. Rather tall windscreen, too.
The Sound ?? .... not impressive at all.

Your two first renderings ( especially the red one ) are IMO nicer than what Honda did. I like very much your front which is much smaller. It gives the car a real exotic and aggressive look à la Lamborghini Diablo.

Also another must, staggered wheels like the original NSX ...

The concept from 2012 up to now has double staggered wheels. 19in fronts and 20 in rears. I think it will be double staggered for production also.

My renders were done with a larger lens from further away. So there is less perspective than say a really small camera lens that's really up close with lots of distortion from perspective. This is why the car will look sleeker if you look at it from further away.

Here are more flattering angles of the current prototype, from further away. It definitely looks exotic if you saw something like this coming up on you:

BestAngNSX_zps5676cfe1.jpg

BestAngNSX0_zpsceae6a0a.jpg

Any car will look sleeker and photograph better from further away.

Also, please keep in mind Everyone that this is the unrefinished bulky camo mule. Remember how ugly/bulky the 458 or LaFerrari looked in Camo form??? What is interesting about the NSX camo proto is that it still looks pretty good actually in current form - the overall shape and silhouette that is. Smaller details like lights and mirrors, and even the interior looks like they are more function and no form.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a better vid(that Supra at 1:05....................LOL)<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FfB5eHO1nq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It sounds much better in this vid. I bet it would sound awesome with open exhaust and turbo spool!

The body roll/suspension control seems well managed, but then again I cant really tell if the car is going very fast due to lack of audible engine sound. It may be one of those cases where the speed is deceiving. Also, listen closely to 0.51. Is that some sort of regenerative braking, electric motor drag, or KERS sound? Sounds futuristic.

Hi,

no one mentioned the dash inside this camo....the navi big screen area looks like it came from a E9# 3 BMW series ;)

Nuno

Who wants that crap?

Hehe, nobody I can think of. Sorry, I hope you didn't think I was serious. I find it frightening that BMW does this on its $130k i8 and suspect it's not as far as we would hope from a possibility on a proper sports car. Sad.

Too little too late wow that is so underwhelming I went for a cruise and lunch on the weekend with the following:
2 x Lamborghini Aventador, 458 Ferrari, 458 Specially Ferrari, R8 V10, Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes SLS, BMW M6, McLaren 650S, Porsche Carrera S, 430 Scuderia, NSX-R, NSX.

The question poised to me was what the hell is happening with the NSX replacement.

Embarrassingly I said it will finally be released sometime in 2015 4 yrs after finally deciding on produce a replacement for the 2005 NSX.

I couldn't keep up with the barrage of questions:

how come it takes 4 yrs from concept to market when everyone else does it in18mths
why wasn't there a transition from 2005 (should have started 2003)
Why didn't Honda continue with development with NSX v1 and let it die on the vine
All the hype from the last couple of yrs have gone to nothing
Now old technology

It kept coming as much as everyone acknowledged that NSX v1 in the early nineties was ground braking and a wake up call to other marques Honda and NSX has been in the land of absurdity for 25yrs.

Not one of these exotic owners said they would consider NSX v2 mainly due to lack of evolution, cutting edge technology (2 yrs ago it was but not now), looks (man when i showed them current pic, not anywhere in exotics/supercar league).

Please don't take it the wrong way (USA friends) but when I was asked where it was being made I said Ohio they were gobsmacked and said it would be an international disaster as even the Lexus LFA struggled being a JDM manufactured car on the world stage.
The NSX is held in high regard for past exploits but not as serious supercar contender in todays market.

i'll reserve my judgment before seeing a finalized version (inside/out/powertrain) but i think there is still good potential overall for a very nice car. it didnt seem it was going super fast..

Would you guys be less critical if it cost the same as NA2? I think it's a great car for 88k but under performer at 130k. Maybe a few upgrades in a few years and put it around 120k.
If the msrp is the same as the RLX since its the same engine it would be selling at a premium. At 65k it would be an awesome car lol

Would you guys be less critical if it cost the same as NA2? I think it's a great car for 88k but under performer at 130k. Maybe a few upgrades in a few years and put it around 120k.
If the msrp is the same as the RLX since its the same engine it would be selling at a premium. At 65k it would be an awesome car lol

under performer? have performance numbers been released yet?

You guys are too harsh.... It's not $500k - $1m supercar. It's not going to break the 'ring record. Why does it have to? Penis envy? I want a great car that I can *afford* and is a ton of fun. I think it looks great and I'm quite excited about it... I'm not expecting it to blow the doors off the 458 Italia... that car is way out of my league $$$-wise. It's why I love my NA2 so much and bought it in the first place... it was never the fastest car when it came out either, but it was an awesome car for what it cost. That's all I'm asking for the new NSX. I just hope it's a little bit cheaper than $130k.... though with inflation, I guess 2015's $130k is 1995's 90k... so it's probably in the same ballpark as the original NSX.

I just hope that Honda puts a vhr kit on it...:devilish:

You guys are too harsh.... It's not $500k - $1m supercar. It's not going to break the 'ring record. Why does it have to? Penis envy? I want a great car that I can *afford* and is a ton of fun. I think it looks great and I'm quite excited about it... I'm not expecting it to blow the doors off the 458 Italia... that car is way out of my league $$$-wise. It's why I love my NA2 so much and bought it in the first place... it was never the fastest car when it came out either, but it was an awesome car for what it cost. That's all I'm asking for the new NSX. I just hope it's a little bit cheaper than $130k.... though with inflation, I guess 2015's $130k is 1995's 90k... so it's probably in the same ballpark as the original NSX.

Agreed. Breaking the ring record means nothing to me.

Agreed. Breaking the ring record means nothing to me.

Wow. It does to me. Not that I'm expecting the new NSX to do so, but when a car performs extremely well at the 'ring, I think that has some significance. Stated otherwise, a top car at the ring must be doing something right in the areas of performance that I care about. If you're into straight-line performance or just good looks, then I can see how you might not care. But for a sports car, it seems to me like track performance is among the top priorities. Of course, looks matter too and that is probably why the GT-R is a bit of an oddity.

Perhaps Honda is listening?! Many of us have voiced our desired for a larger side scoop and longer integrated rear spoiler before. Just look at my old renderings of the proposed homage to the original:

NSXEvoComparo_zpsfbe581bb.jpg

Your render with the B pillar is fantastic. Very striking design.

Back