• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

life decision: I got in UCLA, UCB, UCSD.... which?

Okay, basically I got in all the UCs I applied to but only 3 stood out.
Which should I go for?
Here's what I think about each.
1. UCB - Computer Engineering
I don't think I want to be in an overly competitive environment. However It's the best school in the nation for my major. I got accepted for spring 2008 instead of fall. I'm an international student and I would have to return to where I came from and sit a whole year out and come back. I seriously think I'll get rusty by then. I'll have lots of stuff to take care of and nowhere to store my things(alot).

2. UCLA - Computer Sci
I'm thinking of switching majors after I get in because I didn't think I'd make it for CS & Engineering. I'm going to change to CS&E if possible. Anyone know if that is possible with ease? UCLA is my dream school and the main reason I'm leaning towards UCLA is because of the environment and the fact that my girlfriend is going to SD. It's not too far from her but not too close either(I really love her if you're thinking I wanna fool around...never even been to a club lol).

3. UCSD - Computer Engineering.
Got in the school called warren. Supposed to be the best for my major. Basically if I go here I will be only 16 mins away from my girlfriend.

Advices anyone ? Does it matter that much which school I pick since I will be going for a Master's Degree in the future. Does it really matter that much which school I graduate from(among the 3...maybe between UCLA/UCB) when I begin my career? I am willing to work hard in school but don't want to spend all my time studying. I want to keep things alive with my girlfriend too(who is pretty reliant on me).

2. UCLA - Computer Sci
I'm thinking of switching majors after I get in because I didn't think I'd make it for CS & Engineering. I'm going to change to CS&E if possible. Anyone know if that is possible with ease? UCLA is my dream school and the main reason I'm leaning towards UCLA is because of the environment and the fact that my girlfriend is going to SD. It's not too far from her but not too close either(I really love her if you're thinking I wanna fool around...never even been to a club lol).

I went to UCLA so I can speak to this a little. The CS&E school is hard to get into and hard to transfer to. I think it's harder to get in there than it is to transfer. But to transfer was no easy task either. It's been many years but the number I kind of remember hearing was about 2700 students try to transfer and 27 make it each year.

I never transferred to the school of engineering, never tried, but I majored in Econ wich a specialization in Computing which was basically an econ major with some programming classes.

Advices anyone ? Does it matter that much which school I pick since I will be going for a Master's Degree in the future. Does it really matter that much which school I graduate from(among the 3...maybe between UCLA/UCB) when I begin my career? I am willing to work hard in school but don't want to spend all my time studying. I want to keep things alive with my girlfriend too(who is pretty reliant on me).

Cal is a very good school, too. In the real world for your career, between the two schools, it would not really have an impact on where you work. Both schools are good enough to ensure that you as a new employee had a good education. Sometimes a higher up in a company may have gone to UCLA or UCB and may have a preference for an alumni but by and large most companies hire the best candidate.

For graduate school, if you did well in your undergrad and you have the money for grad school, graduating from any of these 3 schools will also have minimal impact on acceptance.

I think UCLA is a great choice if you decide to go there. One thing that still stands out to me is the great balance we have at UCLA of academics, sports, weather, social activities, campus, location, and so on. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Three great schools -- I don't think you can make a bad choice amongst the three.

Have you visited each campus yet? Make sure to do that before making a decision.

About UCLA, I'm already in the HSSEAS(CS&E) school. I just want to change my major program from comp sci to comp sci & engineering.

That's big decision, you're not really going to leave that decision up to a group of strangers with whom you simply share the commonality of owning an NSX? :confused:

Three great schools -- I don't think you can make a bad choice amongst the three.

Have you visited each campus yet? Make sure to do that before making a decision.
I think that's sound advice.

My personal opinion, and it should have ZERO bearing on your decision....Don't go to UCSD. They don't have a football team. All my student fees instead went to stupid things like new buildings and infrastructure.

But still, it's a nice school. :rolleyes: Campus is in a nice part of town too.

That's big decision, you're not really going to leave that decision up to a group of strangers with whom you simply share the commonality of owning an NSX? :confused:

well if you got an NSX you've got to be doing something right lol. j/k
Anyways, most of the people here have pretty good jobs I believe and a higher median age. I'd like to see what the experienced think.

I'm an alumnus of UCLA. I loved my experience there. As Malibu Rapper stated, it has the best balance of academics, athletics, weather, location, social activities, etc. You also get to see some of the nicest and most expensive cars on a daily basis. :wink:

I know you probably want to be closer to your girlfriend, but you really have to do what's best for you. I'm being pessimistic here, but you can't count on other people always being there (people change, lose interest, move, die, etc.). The only person you should count on is yourself. I think you should pick either UC Berkeley or UCLA. They are both top notch schools, with strong reputations, and name-recognition. I have a close friend who is an alumnus of UCSD. He didn't like his experience there.

UCLA is not too far from my girlfriend and a good school so I guess that's it for me? but still UCB being the #1 for my major in the nation is tempting, yet the competition seems to drive me away.

UCLA is not too far from my girlfriend and a good school so I guess that's it for me? but still UCB being the #1 for my major in the nation is tempting, yet the competition seems to drive me away.

Your happiness will directly affect how well you perform in school. If you're miserable being at a certain school, your grades will most likely suffer. I really don't like the Bay Area, and the UC Berkeley campus is pretty dreary looking. I'm not sure how you feel about the Bay Area, but you should definitely consider that factor.

As a Cal grad I must say that yes it was very, very competitive there. That being said, it only helps one with their character and what life can throw at you. IF you can make it and succeed in a tough environment, then you'll have a greater chance of succeeding later in your career knowing that you made it through a tough academic environment.

My professors there always told me, the Architectural grads from Cal Poly would always get the entry level jobs but it is the Cal graduates that own the Architectural firms.

As for the girlfriend don't even think about picking a school that is close to her just to be near her. Things change in life....do what's best for your academic career.

Fellow Cal grad here:

I am pretty sure you won't enter college as an EECS major, but have to apply for it again later after your second year. TO say it is selective is an understatement. You will pretty much be doing advanced mathematics all the time, and your competition will be the best of the best. However, that being said, it IS the best in the nation. I mean, you will be working in the same building as the WOZ...how cool will that be? Going to Cal will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. If you don't get weeded out, you will have so much more confidence in your abilities thanks to doing cutting edge work with cutting edge professors.

As for the environment, Berkeley will definitely make you more liberal. Take a class by David Presti, and you will be smoking things you were totally against before. However, you will also learn that some of the most influential people did drugs too and revolutionized their respective industries: Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Kary Mullis (invented PCR), etc.

The weather is terrible, the food is the best you will ever have in your life and the city around it is old and reeks of a decaying hippie epic. It wasn't the super-liberal place it was in the 70s thanks to all the Asians, but you will get the occasional nude protest every now and then.

Trust me: If you aren't afraid of a challenge, go to CAL. It will change your life if you can survive.

If you are weak in competition and will get depressed by the weather and a crappy city, then go to UCLA. I love UCLA and the surrounding city, but I know it will never compare to Cal. It is a great school, but they won't give your the unbias version of history--something that will let you build an objective frame of mind. IMO, UCLA and Cal will get you around the same place in terms of job placement with an edge for Cal grads. However, many more Cal grads develop that independent/innovative characteristic that drives them to invent new things rather than just work for someone else. See the above comment regarding starting your own firm vs. working for someone elses.

For the education: Cal Berkeley>>>>>UCLA>>>UCSD

For the Lifestyle/city/girls/fun: UCSD=UCLA>>>>>>>>>>>>Cal

If you go to Cal: please try and make a lot of friends. you will need a social network for all the tough times ahead. also, if you can do it, try a double major at Haas. Again, you have to apply for it after 2 years of weeder classes, but this will ensure a top position once you graduate.

I was in the same boat way back when, and I chose UCLA. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go to UCLA.

Fellow Cal grad here:

I am pretty sure you won't enter college as an EECS major, but have to apply for it again later after your second year. TO say it is selective is an understatement. You will pretty much be doing advanced mathematics all the time, and your competition will be the best of the best. However, that being said, it IS the best in the nation. I mean, you will be working in the same building as the WOZ...how cool will that be? Going to Cal will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. If you don't get weeded out, you will have so much more confidence in your abilities thanks to doing cutting edge work with cutting edge professors.

As for the environment, Berkeley will definitely make you more liberal. Take a class by David Presti, and you will be smoking things you were totally against before. However, you will also learn that some of the most influential people did drugs too and revolutionized their respective industries: Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Kary Mullis (invented PCR), etc.

The weather is terrible, the food is the best you will ever have in your life and the city around it is old and reeks of a decaying hippie epic. It wasn't the super-liberal place it was in the 70s thanks to all the Asians, but you will get the occasional nude protest every now and then.

Trust me: If you aren't afraid of a challenge, go to CAL. It will change your life if you can survive.

If you are weak in competition and will get depressed by the weather and a crappy city, then go to UCLA. I love UCLA and the surrounding city, but I know it will never compare to Cal. It is a great school, but they won't give your the unbias version of history--something that will let you build an objective frame of mind. IMO, UCLA and Cal will get you around the same place in terms of job placement with an edge for Cal grads. However, many more Cal grads develop that independent/innovative characteristic that drives them to invent new things rather than just work for someone else. See the above comment regarding starting your own firm vs. working for someone elses.

For the education: Cal Berkeley>>>>>UCLA>>>UCSD

For the Lifestyle/city/girls/fun: UCSD=UCLA>>>>>>>>>>>>Cal

If you go to Cal: please try and make a lot of friends. you will need a social network for all the tough times ahead. also, if you can do it, try a double major at Haas. Again, you have to apply for it after 2 years of weeder classes, but this will ensure a top position once you graduate.

:rolleyes: Weak in competition? Unbiased view of history? I guess "smoking things" at the "occasional nude protest" helps to grow hair on your chest as well as unclutter your perception of history. :tongue:

I won't get into KSXNSX's claim that one school is better than the other for education; I'm sure it varies by major and cannot be expressed as a blanket statement. BUT, I will say that neither UCSD nor Cal is equal to UCLA for lifestyle/city/girls/fun. And trust me, that's a fact. :biggrin:

I don't think it makes a big difference for employers if you went to UCLA, UCB, or UCSD for your major. I was in the software industry and went to UCLA. It depends on experience and how you fit in the culture of the company.

Since you are already in the school of Engineering, it is not very difficult to change. If I remember correctly. Even if you are not in the School of Engineering you can transfer in from another major as long as you take a set course and do well in them (3.3 and above). It is not has hard as people make it out to be.

It would actually be better for you that you were a little further from your girlfriend. Don't go to a school simply to be closer to your girlfriend when you are so young. College is about meeting new people and having new experiences. It will be a decision you will regret someday if you go to a school to be closer to your girlfriend.

Cloud, I grew up in LA, and went to UC Berkeley, so let's see if I can offer some advice from a person who in a way has experienced both.

I don't know who you are, your culture, your background, and your aspirations. That said, a blanket statement for a 18 year old coming out of high school, your #1 priority should be your education; not the girls, not easier classes, not the food, not the weather. Your EDUCATION. It is your chance to challenge yourself, push the envelope, and achieve things you never expected yourself to achieve. What did MLK Jr. say? "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and conveniences, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." This is not to say you won't have fun in Berkeley. There is a lot of culture and history in Berkeley, and if that's not enough, you're just a BART ride away from SF, which I'd say is one of the best cities in the US in terms of food, culture, weather, etc. At the end of the day, it is what you make of it. You can be a hermit and not have an ounce of fun in LA.

I studed EECS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science), as well as Business Administration in Haas. I will say the EECS part was a very difficult program, but I will say the UC Berkeley name resonates in the tech community and does help when it comes to your first few jobs out of school. After that it comes down to your performance. The Cal engineering program is consistently ranked in the top 3 in the nation, up there with MIT and Stanford. Let's put it this way, I went to visit my friend at Stanford while I was still in school, and when their CS students found out I was doing EECS at Cal, they were amazed and short of saying it told me the program is better there than at Stanford.

Now about UCLA. UCLA also has a great program, where lots of innovation have taken place, and sits in a fun part of LA. Sure there are plenty of cute girls, but again, and I'm sure your parents will say the same, if you're debating between an education that can change your life, and girls, I hope the answer is clear. If not, close this browser and go do whatever you want. UCLA has certain ties to the high tech industry, but I think by rule of Proximity Cal has a leg up on this one.

All that said, however, I think the choice really is between UCB and UCLA. And this is a cliche, but totally true that you get what you put into it, and as long as you work hard, wherever you are, you'll come out on top.

I don't think it makes a big difference for employers if you went to UCLA, UCB, or UCSD for your major. I was in the software industry and went to UCLA. It depends on experience and how you fit in the culture of the company.

Since you are already in the school of Engineering, it is not very difficult to change. If I remember correctly. Even if you are not in the School of Engineering you can transfer in from another major as long as you take a set course and do well in them (3.3 and above). It is not has hard as people make it out to be.

It would actually be better for you that you were a little further from your girlfriend. Don't go to a school simply to be closer to your girlfriend when you are so young. College is about meeting new people and having new experiences. It will be a decision you will regret someday if you go to a school to be closer to your girlfriend.

I will have to respectfully disagree. If three students, each with 3.5 GPA, same major, but three different schools, it is not hard to imagine the employee will pick the one who came out of the more reputable school in the engineering discipline. Also if one school has a more difficult program, you have to believe the same GPA was probably harder to come by. You are correct, however, in that this effect diminishes the further you progress with your career.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Nice way to spin some bitterness into the poster's question Chops... so when did it become a faux pas to seek advice? A wise man should use all resources at his disposal to make informed decisions.

On topic - All great schools. I love UCB's campus. I did my undergrads in Computer Engineering and Computer Science - minored in Mathematics. I got a job with Intel right after graduation (grueling 6 hour interview)... I absolutely hated it there. I quit 3 months later and so ended the electrical engineering geared part of my working career. I went into software engineering and loved it - it is much more creative, dynamic, and portable. As a matter of fact, I enjoy it so much that I'm actually still a software engineer by trade even though I don't really have to work anymore due to my investing background. I'm not yet 30 though, so maybe I just have a lot of energy and a chip on my shoulder. :biggrin:

I really think comp eng + MS in comp sci is a great combo if you plan on going into software. If you like computing hardware then comp eng + MS in EE is awesome.

Good luck with your decision, there is a lot of great advice here!

actually I got in EECS in berkeley... lol i thought i applied for CE. I just clicked on the best major I could find cuz I was damn sure I didn't want to go to berkeley at the time.

anyways, I'm still leaning towards LA for balance of education, environment and my relationship. Is LA that bad? Going to LA won't ruin my future right? I won't have an easy career start but at least I'm not ruined cause I went to UCLA I hope?

I'm a Chinese transfer student from Malaysia and pretty conservative, not a party guy at all like I said I've never even been to a club before, never smoked, never touched alcohol.
I don't care if the school has the ugliest girls or not either. I wouldn't call myself a nerd but I am what I am.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!

I would go UCB, then UCLA. I don't plan ever working for anyone other than myself, but if you do need a job, especially oversea. The more well known the school, the better.

For example Japan or China, UCB and UCLA will virtually guarantee you a thumbs up every where you go. Everyone oversea know these 2 schools. You tell people you went to UCSD, they will said "what?" what school again? Oh, ok UCSD, never heard of it.

Just my 02, That is why he posted in off topic section. This forum would be somewhat boring if people can't ask legitimate questions. Sometimes making a decision is quite hard. Taking information and analyzing sure helps coming up with final decision at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat way back when, and I chose UCLA. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go to UCLA.

:rolleyes: Weak in competition? Unbiased view of history? I guess "smoking things" at the "occasional nude protest" helps to grow hair on your chest as well as unclutter your perception of history. :tongue:

I won't get into KSXNSX's claim that one school is better than the other for education; I'm sure it varies by major and cannot be expressed as a blanket statement. BUT, I will say that neither UCSD nor Cal is equal to UCLA for lifestyle/city/girls/fun. And trust me, that's a fact. :biggrin:

Haha, this always gets the UCLA kids. Don't worry, UCLA is an amazing school. Excellent education +, IMO, better lifestyle. But I don't know why they always throw a fit when someone's personal opinion is expressed and Cal comes out on top. If you think UCLA is better, that is cool too. Doesn't bother me at all. You can't go wrong either way.

But choose Cal for Zacharies Pizza and Alameda Sushi. Thank me when you get there.

actually I got in EECS in berkeley... lol i thought i applied for CE. I just clicked on the best major I could find cuz I was damn sure I didn't want to go to berkeley at the time.

anyways, I'm still leaning towards LA for balance of education, environment and my relationship. Is LA that bad? Going to LA won't ruin my future right? I won't have an easy career start but at least I'm not ruined cause I went to UCLA I hope?

OK, from what you are saying, it sounds like YOU want UCLA. Go with your gut. No, your future will be just fine. Trust me, if you have visited Cal and it is not your cup of tea, you will have a terrible time and your grades will probably suffer. UCLA is a great school, and there are more pretty girls to boot. You won't regret either choice, but trust your gut.

Just to add to my background: I grew up in LA county and had nearly the same choice to make as you--Cal, UCLA or UCSD. If you are pre-med, the UCSD 8-year med program is an excellent choice, but since you are CS or EECS, I would go with UCLA or Cal (with my choice being Cal). Given your personal preference for UCLA, go with it. You won't regret it. I would probably get the same job opportunities had I gone to UCLA. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have chosen Cal again even if I still prefer the UCLA environment/lifestyle, but I am sure you will feel the same way if you choose UCLA.

Last edited:
I don't think I want to be in an overly competitive environment.

Why the heck not — That in itself presents a huge opportunity.

If you graduate with a 3.75 from a mid-level school (for that major) or a 3.75 from the top school in the field... which one is gonna look better?? Which one is gonna give you a better education??

If you have the opportunity to go to the best school for your field — I don't see how you can not give it serious consideration.

Back