• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

lightweight battery suggestions?

I'm a big believer in the Odessey PC925T battery -- weighs 25 lbs. -- the one in my car now is eight years old... first one lasted almost 12 years... I do keep the car on a float charger between uses.

I also have one in a 15kw household stand-by generator -- it's ten years old.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925t.htm

BATMANs, I'm curious if you've ever had your car corner balanced, or had a performance alignment done.

- - - Updated - - -

Just for reference, the OEM battery in 1991 5-speeds has part number 70D23L. I believe that lead-acid battery has a capacity of 70 Ah (amp-hours), can deliver that energy at a rate of 580 CCA (cold cranking amps), and it weighs a lot.

Saving weight sounds great and the price of lithium iron phosphate batteries is falling quickly. If you want a lithium iron phosphate battery another alternative to Shorai could be Aliant (see here: http://www.aliant-accu.nl/newsdocs/doc_8.pdf). Their 2.5 kg 600 CCA model X6 costs EUR 577 at my local race shop.

It would be nice to install a battery that can store a similar amount of energy as the stock battery so that it doesn’t die quicker between charges and that can deliver that energy as quickly as the stock battery so that the car starts up nice and fast. The lightweight batteries I’ve seen store a lot less than 70 Ah of energy, though, so they won’t last as long as OEM between charges.

The Shorai is 36AH, and as others in this thread have noted, they can go even 2 weeks without starting the car, which I think is a reasonable enough time without a trickle charger.

And the Shorai is much cheaper than those Aliants, MSRP on the Shorai is $350, and I can get them for Prime even cheaper than that. My business partner and I have been following the Lithium Iron technology for a few years now, and we were really happy to be able to become dealers of the batteries. We have a lot of interest in battery technology and small electric vehicles, and Lithium Iron is awesome technology.

since i have more rear traction from wider tires and a massive spoiler and rear diffuser I need all the help I can get in the front. Maybe another 2 full size batteries or AWD

Try reducing your front tire pressures and increasing your rear sway bar stiffness (if it's adjustable). Also increase your rear tire pressures.

Only 10 scammy? Strange as I've gone 2 full weeks now without death.

Yeah mate 10 days max, but in saying that my car had the tendency to suck the life out of any battery I put in there and that's before I did any mods so I have been using a tender for a while not just on this Shorei. As far as understeer goes it didn't make any difference to my car at all yes it removed weight but I have also removed a lot from the rear (STMPO exhaust & bumper beam) so I don't see much relevance there, the only time I suffer from understeer is when I have crap tyres on the front with incorrect pressure, it doesn't help when you have good tyres on the rear pushing the car around either. The car handles better I can feel more through the steering and now I have KW's on its even better so I would argue the understeer point at least in my car and how its set up.

I have a Braille Carbon series but do be warned with smaller batteries and only driving weekends you may go to start the car to find you have a flat battery which means the ecu resets i believe well at least the head unit for sure if it's aftermarket.

This isn't ideal so i changed it for a bigger Braille.

Braille is rebranded Deka. you can get the Deka or "big crank" brand for less. It's less fancy looking but the same battery for less money.

- - - Updated - - -

The kink in vacuum hose #4.

And yes Dave, a 45 lbs lighter weight battery does make a difference in the steering wheel - all things being equal.

Can you send me a photo or diagram? I think I may be suffering from a minor vacuum leak as well.

I do keep the car on a float charger between uses

This is Key to making them last. I had a basic trickle charger on my first one and it ended up destroying the battery in 3-4 years by over charging it . Odyssey replaced it for free under warrantee so I invested in their Float charger designed specifically for a dry cell battery. It's a necessity not an option with any lightweight Dry cell. Especially on the NSX with its constant draw while parked.

Thanks for the support guys :)

We are on the verge of a group buy for our battery trays.

8944236209_6e97c57a2a_c.jpg

Under 7 pounds mounted weight (that includes the battery), mounts with existing holes, no cutting/drilling necessary.

I'd agree with you if you said this a couple of years ago, but this new battery technology is really fantastic. It's Lithium Iron (not Ion), and has some pretty remarkable battery characteristics. Its CCAs are very good, 540 for this version, and can crank over a high compression BRZ motor, as we tested with RYU's car last week. Capacity is still very good, I've gone 10 days without any problems starting the car. Weekly starts are absolutely no problem. Still trying to find the upper limit of how long the car can sit while still being able to start it. I'll be embarking on cold weather testing (aka leaving the battery in the freezer) very soon as well.

And while I agree with you that you wouldn't be losing the weight in the most ideal area, it's still a very significant weight savings, close to 1% of the car. There's no other mod that gives you such a drop in weight from a single mod alone. To me, weight savings are weight savings, and weight savings are good :)

How much for the battery and mount?

I have a Braille Carbon series but do be warned with smaller batteries and only driving weekends you may go to start the car to find you have a flat battery which means the ecu resets i believe well at least the head unit for sure if it's aftermarket.

This isn't ideal so i changed it for a bigger Braille.
Strange my stereo retains all presets, i agree with having the correct trickle charger for the battery concerned so it lasts longer that is one of the cool things about the Shorei it has a charger to match

We are aiming for $380 for the package for the group buy. Keep in mind the MSRP of the battery is $350.

Guys if you think that is expensive, look up lithium ion batteries that Braille sells for $1500-2000. Look up the race battery lithium ion models for as much as $3000. $380 with a $100 mount and posts is cheap. A standard battery can run you $100, a Braille with a mount can cost you $250... so another $130 and you are into Lithium Iron at 5 pounds.

It would be great if you also included or could recommend exactly what charger to use too since its a specific dry cell charger. That way nobody plugs their regular battery tender in there.

I'm pretty interested in one.

They have a specific charger that works very well, that I'll be happy to supply Prime with for a significantly reduced price.
.f

That being said, Battery Tender brand tenders work just fine on them, it's confirmed by Shorai themselves. As long as the tender doesn't have a desulfate mode, it'll be fine for the battery.

I'd opt for the Shorai charger personally though, as it's made specifically for the battery type.

You need a "float charger" according to the description that will work but it's not set up the best for Dry cell batteries. I use this one. Works fantastic! It has A Three-step charge profile ensures fast, complete and safe charge and Continuous trickle charge keeps batteries fully charged during extended periods of non-use. Its got a nice digital display out that tells you the condition of the battery in volts and percentage (0-100%) charge.
Odyssey-Ulimizer-charger-for-Brownies-VS-systems.jpg

Last edited:
Back