• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lime Rock

I don't think the "club" that Skippy has organized excludes other clubs from renting the track.It just guarentees 20 or so days for those willing to pony up the 100k$ or so to Have that white glove club service and exclusive track use.

Skippy did take away a lot of the dates that had been available to clubs. SCDA lost a bunch of their dates including their "rare" friday/saturday June dates they always had. There are dates still available to clubs which is amazing considering it costs $100k+ to have the right to pick 20 track days of which only 12 can be peak days during the season by buying into the Lime Rock Club. I had been invited to go up to one of the orientation days with Skip and then backed out when I found out that this "deal" was terrible when compared with the new track being built up in Monticello. You can't even race on Sundays at Lime Rock and a comparison of the offerings showed very little value compared with Monticello.

This Lime Rock Club seemed to be just a way for Skip to net over $25 million if they sold all the memberships since my estimate was that they would need approximately $8 million to make the "improvements" they touted and a sellout of the memberships would take in $35 million. Plus, there would still be annual dues on top of that. Even if you managed to do 20 days at Lime Rock with various clubs your annual cost would only be in the area of $7000 so this "semi-private" Club seems to benefit only Skip.

This is from a Skippy press release before Christmas:

At a member meeting and holiday party held this past weekend, Barber announced the 2008 schedule of 60 member track dates, with more than 40 dates scheduled for May, June, July, August, and September.

I first caught wind of this on that CPTV special on the 50 yr history of the track that aired last summer. I knew someone was on crack since the weather is only good about 5 months out of the year & the open days are extremely limited, especially on weekends. If you have pesky commitments like a job ,then your choices are narrowed further. Kind of like buying a house you can only use a few weeks per year for an exorbitant amount of money. More power to him for selling the memberships, but it does not seem like a sensible purchase to me.

Am I missing something?

It costs $100k+ for a club to rent the track for 20 days?

Any link?

That would actually be a bargain if a car club could get the track at only $5k per day but I think the confusion is our use of the word "club".

Skippy has started The Club at Lime Rock Park which is supposed to be a "private" club much like other country club tracks. However, he still will rent the track to other car "clubs" like always at the very high rental rates he has been getting for a few years now.

The $110k membership cost plus $550 per month dues enables you to pick a total of 12 peak and 8 off peak days out of a pool of 60 days, only 40 of which are during the best months for racing in the Northeast. The rest of the days are still used by the racing school and miscellaneous race weekends.

Amazingly, they claim to have sold 100 of the 300 memberships but I would suspect that they have hit their ceiling. The Monticello track gives much more bang for the buck.

The $110k membership cost plus $550 per month dues enables you to pick a total of 12 peak and 8 off peak days out of a pool of 60 days, only 40 of which are during the best months for racing in the Northeast. The rest of the days are still used by the racing school and miscellaneous race weekends.

We have one of these in the works in our area.

110K plus $550 a month. Shit. Like two years in pro. I thought $110 for an HPDE was too much. I just got my $40 annual club dues in the mail and was like uggh... getting jacked over here...

Hmm... definitely a hard call... VIP track days, foggies in exotics/golf carts, catered lobster... or a toterhome, two cars, and Denny's surf N' Turf. LOL

36_1_10.gif

Back