• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Local tuning shop robbed over weekend

Quite possibly the best tuning shop in Michigan, Payn Technologies, was robbed according to my friend who went down there to get tuned. If anyone of you know Devin, he was one of the main tuning people down there - he also owns a supercharged NSX:
devin4.jpg

According to what they told my friend when he got there for his appointment:
Well, when I got to Payn at 10:15 this morning with Zach (prodigy) we found it odd the doors were locked.... and cars were there... after searching Zach hear someone talking... we open the door and told them we were there to get tuned.... our response: "You guys are out of luck... we got broken into over the weekend"

Well, I guess they had $80,000 worth of stuff stolen from them. A lot of car parts as well (blower off his NSX for example) and most of their Dyno equiptment, and all their tools... so I guess they're down for a while... I'm getting a call as soon as they get what they need to tune...

I feel so bad for those guys because they are the nicest people to work with...so knowlegeable and friendly, and willing to help you achieve whatever performance goals you are looking for. I hope they are able to get back and running soon, and that they find the ass-wads that did the crime.

Tyler

The rumors are definitely true. We were robbed blind sometime between 11 PM Friday 12/17 and 9 AM Saturday 12/18.

The guys who did this absolutely knew what they were doing. The phone lines outside the building going to the pole were cut to disable the alarm system. Whoever got in, spent plenty of time getting key items in the shop including tools, toolboxes, tig welder, air tools, etc. It absolutely was a multiple person job.

To Whom It May Concern:

I could care less about my personal stuff that was stolen – over $30,000 in tools and custom parts. The part that disgusts me is the two guys in the shop that lost their lives out of this.

Dan, our technician, lost every tool including his toolbox that he spends nearly every extra dollar earned working on local enthusiast’s cars. Many customers that come into the shop have used Dan’s tools to tweak their cars on the dyno, wrench, etc. Dan is screwed. He cannot get another mechanic job without tools and will probably be forced out of the industry for a while until he can get on his feet to purchase another box and a few tools. Dan is one of the best techs in the area, wouldn’t harm or steal from anyone, and always helps everyone around him. Happy fucking holidays Dan – have a great New Year!

The other person grossly affected by this is Jim our engine builder. If there is anyone in the world literally without an enemy, he is the one. He has been building engines for nearly 30 years. Guess what that means – Jim has collected 30 years worth of tools that are now gone. Words can’t describe how much Jim has single handedly helped our local and national sport compact industry. Jim’s engines are being run in multiple professional level sport compact racecars and tons of local cars. He brought to the table so much insight and wisdom when he started here and has become everyone’s friend. A lot of local guys at the track are running very fast day after day because of Jim’s expertise. Ho, Ho, Ho…Fuck you to Jim.

Do me a favor. If you were involved with this - please just take Jim and Dan’s stuff out into a field some late night, dump it off, write directions to the spot on a piece of paper (make sure to wear rubber gloves and don’t lick the stamp – the CSI folks on TV use that stuff all the time), mail it to us from some parking lot mailbox without a return address, then try to have a happy holiday you fucking cowards. You ripped off two people that I’m proud to call friends and probably wrecked their lives for many months and years to come.

Throw my custom parts in the trash for all I care. You are going to find out very soon that there is nothing you can do with most of it anyways. I mean, there has to be a ton of ways you can use a hex driven 3.3” 6 rib pulley, right?

To those wondering – we are not sure if insurance is covering this. If you have any clues, we can find a way to make everything anonymous. There will be a very healthy reward here. Not hundreds of dollars…thousands.

Got that from another forum...someone at Payn posted it, but I'm not sure who.

I hope the police find out who took this stuff. :mad: Theives are the absolute scum of mankind. I also hope Payn's insurance covers this theft. To anyone who starts a business, make sure your insurance agent is involved from the ground up - just like your lawyer and accountant.

I think Andy pretty much summed up my thoughts. Santa: I want you to get the identities of these scumbags and give them to Devin. :mad:

Andy, KGP,
Very well said.
My heart hurts just reading this kind of story. It is so amazing that in this time of the year when sorry ass bastards resort to this kind of crap!!!!! :mad: :mad:
My wifes car just got vandalized the other night by some cowards also. I can't imagine the pain and devastation those guys are going thru right now.
Why is it always the good guys that get hurt the most?!?!?

That fxckin suck!! I hope you catch those pieces of shxt!!

I can't thank everyone enough for the kind (and not so kind) words about the loss this weekend. I am absolutely amazed at the support we are getting from all the forums - it seems to be spreading pretty fast. I was going to make a small post here on Prime at some point (not quite like the one I wrote on a local board that was quoted - please excuse me...I had a long weekend), but nonetheless it found it's way over here anyways.

We are completely frozen at the shop. Business is dead stopped for the moment due to the lack of tools. We were literally left with two screwdrivers, a hammer, and a small pic tool. We can’t do any tuning as well and lost 5 years worth of base maps and tunes – probably tens of thousands of dollars worth of tuning. If I had to rough guess right now, we are probably without $125,000 - $150,000 worth of tools and equipment. I apologize to the NSX Prime customers in advance for any delays this may cause with their builds.

On to the important stuff I wanted to post about. There are a few very specific NSX items that were stolen. If you hear of anyone trying to push these NSX parts, please let me know via PM or email. These are too specialized to go unnoticed.

*C30 3.0L NSX block. Closed-deck sleeved with o-rings. 89.5mm rough bore size.
*C30 3.0L NSX crank.
*2 sets of custom 90mm strutted NSX pistons with offset pins made by Wiseco. Twelve pistons total. These won’t work very well in a street motor.
*5 custom 6 rib BBSC pulleys. 2.875”, 3.0”, 3.1”, 3.3”, 3.6” diameters
*Custom NSX AP Brake kit. Front and rear rotors, Front AP Racing calipers with brackets, rear stock caliper relocation brackets, and braided lines.
*Aluminum intercooler extrusion box with machined end caps and 4 Laminova cores
*Not specific to NSX – Newly rebuilt Paxton Novi 2000 with custom wheel and straight volute.

Thanks again for the feedback and help guys.

Devin Pearce
Payn Technologies
[email protected]

I am going to post a pic of my brakes and a pic of the intercooler extrusion (ignore the end tanks with inlets and outlets bolted to the center extrusion).

Attachments

• AP_NSX_brakes22.jpg
    AP_NSX_brakes22.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,186
I am very sorry to hear about this. I will let you know if I hear or see anything on any of the other sites I frequent.

You can rest assured that everyone here will be keeping a very sharp eye out for anything of that stuff. We WILL find out who did this and God have mercy of them.

My Condolences Devin, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for the parts. Sorry to see it happen to such a great company and support to the NSX members

Kevin

Devin,

Dont know if it will help any but i have a few spare NSX cranks, you are welcome to them if you need them to finish up someones car, or get somebody's job done quicker.
I'm not needing those.

I have a couple bare blocks, 1 i aboslutely need for my project, but i have another one that is a little rough, but if you are going to sleeve it, it should be great. I was kinda saving it for a "Shit Happens" occasion in case i toss a rod through my first block, but if you need one bad, let me know....

I have the aboslutely largest moster snapon box with all the addon lockers & overhead unit... completely packed with tools. Just hearing about your guy's loss gives me those finger nail on chalkboard chills.

Dont hesitate to get ahold of me if you need some misc NSX engine parts.

-Ray

My car was in that shop a day before it got hit, I feal lucky that Devin finished the job on time so I could get it back.
If he didnt my car would have been striped for sure.

I am offering a $5,000 USD reward for the return of the missing 3 tool box's, I don't care about anything else just the return of these tools.
These guys use these tools to make a living, without them they cant work!
I don't care about busting the guy's who did it, I don't care about the parts that were stolen, I don't care about the owner of Payn tech who was stupid and let his insurance laps a month before, I care about the three hard working guy's who had over $20,000 dollars each invested into there tool box's.
No questions asked, I will give you 5 grand cash if you can tell me were I can find these tools.
If you have any info E- mail me at [email protected]
Or call Payn tech and talk to Devin. 248.649.DYNO or E mail him [email protected]

payntechnologies.com

Please help these guy's out in there time of need.
It is the Holiday season so I wanted to help these guys out, I have donated $2,000 bucks to help them buy some new tools. I don't expert anyone to donate that much but anything you can spare adds up quick.
Even if it is 5 bucks it will go along way.
I also have donated quite a few tools from my garage to get them started, my wife was happy to see them go!

If anyone wants to help out or donate some money you can
pay pal at [email protected].
Thanks Later Flyn Brian.

Last edited:
Words can't describe how we feel about the Prime community right now. I can’t believe the support pouring in for some shop located in the Detroit metro that 99% of you have never dealt with. I can only hope that you, your friends, and your families have a wonderful and prosperous holiday and New Year. Thank you so much.

Brian (prova4re) stopped in yesterday with his personal tools from home for us to use and an unbelievable cash gift for the guys to get another tool set started, which enables them to work. He is probably the most noble and selfless person I know on this planet right now. You have made Dan and Jim’s holiday. They and their families are so thankful because you have insured for the time being that they can work and continue on.

Thank you so much guys. I am forever in your debt.

-Devin

prova4re said:
My car was in that shop a day before it got hit, I feal lucky that Devin finished the job on time so I could get it back.
If he didnt my car would have been striped for sure.

I am offering a $5,000 USD reward for the return of the missing 3 tool box's, I don't care about anything else just the return of these tools.
These guys use these tools to make a living, without them they cant work!
I don't care about busting the guy's who did it, I don't care about the parts that were stolen, I don't care about the owner of Payn tech who was stupid and let his insurance laps a month before, I care about the three hard working guy's who had over $20,000 dollars each invested into there tool box's.
No questions asked, I will give you 5 grand cash if you can tell me were I can find these tools.
If you have any info E- mail me at [email protected]
Or call Payn tech and talk to Devin. 248.649.DYNO or E mail him [email protected]

payntechnologies.com

Please help these guy's out in there time of need.
It is the Holiday season so I wanted to help these guys out, I have donated $2,000 bucks to help them buy some new tools. I don't expert anyone to donate that much but anything you can spare adds up quick.
Even if it is 5 bucks it will go along way.
I also have donated quite a few tools from my garage to get them started, my wife was happy to see them go!

If anyone wants to help out or donate some money you can
pay pal at [email protected].
Thanks Later Flyn Brian.

Cheers Brian.
Simply a gentleman & a scholar.

Wow. What a great thing to do, Brian. Payn Tech, is it possible to PayPal? I too would like to help - whatever is left in my PP account is yours.

Well, that Evelyn Wood Speed Reading course turns out to be crap for comprehension. Thanks Gene!

Glad to see such an outpouring of support for these guys....they truly are some of the best people I have met, and I almost cried when I heard the bad news. I'm glad this post turned into something positive for them :) Happy Holidays to you, Devin, and to Tom and all the rest of the crew at PaynTech - I am praying for the capture of those responsible and the return of what was taken from you and your friends there.

If it helps at all, I have a set of used OEM injectors and 3.0L crank balancer from my '92 that I will give to them. Just wish I had more.
Let me know if you need them and they're yours.

Yikes! Sorry to hear about this. If you need to borrow some tools ASAP please let me know, I have some at my house, including air compressor, hose, snap-on ¾” impact wrench w/ 19mm and 35mm sockets, snap-on compression gauge… Give me a PM if you are interested. I’ve loaned out my t-bleeder wrench to someone in the metro area, I’m sure he can drop it by your shop too. I own an Ace hardware store and you are welcome to buy tools at cost to tide your shop over for a bit.

I know it is tragic that your mechanics have lost their tools, but the thieves couldn’t take their best tool, which is their knowledge and experience. I hope that insurance will cover at least some of their tool costs so that they can get up and running ASAP.

Again, sorry to hear about this awful loss.

DanO

Back