• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Location of secondary air pipe

I recently got a CEL code p1419. Service manual lists this as a secondary air injection pipe malfunction, and give a checklist to test this. However, for whatever odd reason, they fail to mention where this pipe is located. Anyone know where this is?

This is the air injecton system that allows the NSX to be classified as an ULEV (ultra-low emissions Vehicle) There are two main pipes on each cylinder head that feeds air into the exhaust ports. These pipes are fed via an air pump in the passenger side wheel well. You really need a service manual so that you can reference this entire system. Do you have a late model ('02 up) service manual?

Regards,
LarryB

Yes, I have the '97 service manual and the '04 supplement. It is the '04 supplement that provided the information on this trouble code and steps to resolve it, but did not include a diagram on where it is.

Ok, how can I start to explain this. I guess you could say on each side of the engine is a pipe that feeds air into each cylinderr. Basically you can follow the hoses to come out of the passenger side fender. I believe there are three. One hose you will follow to the intake. The other two should run one on each side of the engine. I believe that you definitely need both sides of the engine ones hooked up. The one that runs back into the intake particularly on my car, I just have a filter on it because the turbo does not have a spot for it to hook up to. So far I have not got a check engine light for not having the intake one hooked up. I only remember seeing these because me and the mechanic we're trying to figure out what the three holes on each side of the intake manifold were for. They were in fact use for the two air assist rails. Like I said, it's hard to describe, but if you look on the inside of the manifoldcyou will see the two hoses that I am talking about. I am also 99% sure, that the intake manifold has to be removed in order to take these off.

Last edited:
Hope this helps

Mike

ea321b56.jpg

Thanks for the diagram. I'll take another look. However, one problem will be that I have a supercharger, so I don't have easy access to the intake manifold. Might just have to take this to the dealer. However, it looks like this is only for emissions, and doesn't affect performance, so I might just clear the code and hope it doesn't come back, and if so, I might just live with it.

Back