Long drive NSX checklist

shawn110975

Suspended
Guys I wanted to help everyone that has decided to drive from
all over the country to get to this years NSXPO.

I wanted to make a checklist of things you need to check before you
jump in the trusty NSX.

Please feel free to add to this as anything could help the poor guy/gal that forgot that one thing and is now stuck on the side of the road wishing he/she had checked it.

I got this idea from Kyras's S2000 Clutch break down post from another thread during a drive.
So thanks Kyras.

1 full tank of gas.
2 tires and tire pressure make sure you have some great tread you dont want to be caught in the rain in a strange road and start sliding do you?
3 Bleed/refresh brake and clutch: a good way to check is you remove the cap and look inside and if the fluid its black you need to or should flush and change it.
make sure your ABS pump is filled and the fluid is clear on the older systems when you open the cap there is a bucket screen that you can pull out that traps dirt etc. clean it if its clogged.
4 coolant make sure its at the max level or between max and min
5 brake lights you should have someone verify they all work. if your like me and do everything yourself you can get a stick about 2-3 feet long
and use it to push the brake pedal down, then while holding the stick move the seat forward allowing the stick to press into the seat, to hold the brake pedal down. walk to rear of car and verify them yourself.
6 turn signals turn key to the 2 postion and test each turn signal. walk around car and verify they all work.
7 brake pads think real hard when have your brake pads inspected.
some DIYers can test but not many have the time. get them checked
8 headlights this is a no brainer turn your headlights on and walk and verify they both work, click your high beams do they both work?
9 A/C is it cold good, if not get it checked its gonna be hot.
10 Oil check your oil or have an oil change its your cars blood it needs it and you need you NSX so its a give give
11 Tools do you have all your spare tools in the trunk? if your missing a few like most, it doesnt have to say honda on it for you to use it. collect items you will need if you possibly get a flat tire, I normally have a can or two of fix-aflat, a working air pump, like most our cars seems to collect water or moisture, this moisture eats your air pump like butter. take it out and test it if turns on then it prob works. a flashlight, car jack lug wrench/jack turner and lug lock if you have them.
12 spare tire most remove it, well lets throw it back in for the trip you might thank me.
13 radar detector you may thank me for this one LOL.
14 cellphone charger thats a no brainer.
15 plenty of music finding a radio station in an unknown area isnt fun esp when it music you cant stand.
16 documents when is the last time you opened your leather Acura book in your glovebox? check to see if you have a current DMV registration and valid insurance card. handing a police officer in another state an expired insurance card :eek: you may not make it to NSXPO

Last edited:
Flashlight, blanket, rag to clean your hands and towels never hurt. I also always have a functional knife with me on road trips.

Numbers in phone:
ICE (in case of emergency) (wife, momma, etc)
Flatbed Tow Service
Insurance Co - check your coverage for trip interruption
Acura Dealers on your route
Tire places on your route
-
Duct Tape
Spare Main Relay (heard rumors they go out)
Spare fuses
-
check your lugnuts are tight

Can't wait until you guys arrive. You will enjoy our drives we have set up. Make sure to pack a light jacket. Leaves are already starting to change in the mountains.

Second main relay since mine just went out. Fortunately before the drive.

For the people tracking, spare brake pads, if not for yourself, then for someone else. 2 XPOs now I have had people ask if I had an extra set of pads. I will have 2 sets this time.

It makes me chuckle that full tank of gas is listed. Anyone making a long drive that needs to be reminded to get fuel for their car should probably just stay home. LOL! :biggrin:

Just some ideas ....
-1 large can of fix a flat for those without a spare tire (and even those guys with a 20 yr old spare)
-First aid kit
-Roadside kit including flares, jumper cables etc..
- xtra alternator belt
-Tools .. ratchet and sockets (8, 10, 12mm minimum) box end wrenches same size as sockets, Channel locks, scewrdrivers etc.
-Flashlight

Last edited:
Ok, the trunk is only so big!
Between this thread and my wife's stuff, the trunk is now full on the NSX! There isn't room for my clothes! You will recognize my car. It is the one with the socks and underwear above the engine compartment! :confused: I guess I will be doing laundry every night. (microfibre cloths for polishing the car and my limited amount of underwear!)
My helmet is going between the two seats, or I will need to wear it!
I will be leaving early. This will allow others to rescue me if and when I brake down! I will be heading south from 12 hours north of Billings MT. Entering CO on I25 from the very start of it at Buffalo WY. 1750 miles one way. Plenty of opportunity to be rescued!:confused:
Today I was bleeding the brakes and clutch. The clutch master cylinder looks suspect, so I proactively ordered one from Flatirons Acura. Anyone want to help me install it in the parking lot? (yes, I packed a 8mm wrench) Please let me know where I can buy brake fluid near either the hotel or Boulder...
Should be a bunch of fun!

See you all on the 13th!

Last edited:
The Canadian dollar is really strong, we have no VAT and the US could use the influx of foreign money so............. Tell the wife, No Clothes for You except for clean underwear for 3 days, pack a small suitcase and fill it with tools and your helmet, check into the hotel and then go to the outlet mall for new clothes, wear your NEW clothes, stress NEW to the wife, pack them into a box at then end of the day and mail them home. You should also pack a coat since the malls may not have what she may want.:biggrin:
Tim

Between this thread and my wife's stuff, the trunk is now full on the NSX! There isn't room for my clothes! You will recognize my car. It is the one with the socks and underwear above the engine compartment! :confused: I guess I will be doing laundry every night. (microfibre cloths for polishing the car and my limited amount of underwear!)
I will be leaving early. This will allow others to rescue me if and when I brake down! I will be heading south from 12 hours north of Billings MT. Entering CO on I25 from the very start of it at Buffalo WY. 1750 miles one way. Plenty of opportunity to be rescued!:confused:
Today I was bleeding the brakes and clutch. The clutch master cylinder looks suspect, so I proactively ordered one from Flatirons Acura. Anyone want to help me install it in the parking lot? (yes, I packed a 8mm wrench) Please let me know where I can buy brake fluid near either the hotel or Boulder...

See you all on the 13th!

Another handy item would be an OBD2 scanner for those with a 1996 and up NSX. Evidently those of us with pre-1996 NSXs do not have an OBD1 port, we have a connector to short and a paperclip...kind of like MacGyver. :tongue:

Another handy item would be an OBD2 scanner for those with a 1996 and up NSX. Evidently those of us with pre-1996 NSXs do not have an OBD1 port, we have a connector to short and a paperclip...kind of like MacGyver. :tongue:

Correction, 95 and up are obd 2.

Thanks for the tips guys! Looks like I need to do a little more shopping tomorrow.

I also found the following links which contain some helpful tips:

http://www.samarins.com/longtrip/
http://cars.about.com/od/adviceforowners/a/ag_preparetrip.htm
http://www.lookingforadventure.com/roadtripchecklist.htm

In addition, I will be bringing the following items not yet mentioned in this thread:

Standalone GPS (I'll probably be driving through areas with no cell coverage)
Windshield wiper blade rubbers - Honda part #76622-SR3-305 (I will bring a "]couple extra)
Umbrella or poncho

See everyone in Denver! :)

NSXPO_fortune.jpg

See you all on the 13th!

Ha! can't wait to meet you at check-in, Warren, and hear more about your journey!
cheers,
--bruce

Back