• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Longitudinal Engine

I know of 3 "street" NSX's in Japan that have done this conversion,
A awesome build here on prime is of a LS7 with a Porsche transmission.

iirc hewland and a few other companies did custom made gearboxes but that's hugely expensive.

Unfortunately you can't use a Rally gearbox since those are AWD, Years back i heard the rumour of a sequential 5-speed some where in ether Austria, Germany or Switzerland i doubt it being true.

Sounds like a fun project to say the least maybe try and look up any high powered FF race cars, maybe quick look to see if there is a existing sequential that can be reinforced to take the load of a C-Series

Rotating the engine is certainly a possibility allowing you to run Porsche race boxes. which i guess should be the easiest to find.
A bit of side track,
I do know of a guy who head/has two Mugen V8's from a F3 car with tranny both badly need overhauling but a Honda V8 NSX would be awesome.

Last edited:
That's the '95 LeMans car, I agree it looks normal longitudinal mid engine rear trans. I was referring to the GT 500 cars run in the JGTC, Super GT. I believe I have read plenty of discussion and reviews of these cars stating drivetrain with trans forward of the engine. This actually makes sense for plenty of reasons and wouldn't be that hard to do, though I would also only consider a clean high mileage car for the exercise as when you're done, no matter how nice, it's likely to be worth no more than when you started. Having just taken plenty of laps at Road America (without spinning out) last weekend, I am pleased as can be with my modified but stock drivetrain layout '94.

Super GT NSXs have the same transaxle layout as the LeMans car, formula cars (which Super GT are closer to bodied formula cars than production cars), or any other purpose-built mid-engine car/race car.

I have pics that I am unwilling to share showing the transmission rear of the longitudanal motor...

Billy is also correct about the rear cantilever suspension bolting to the transmission.. which are in the pics as well.

the statement about the super gt nsx not being an nsx... is confirmed in my "exterior unbolted pics as well"

Back