• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking at a '91 Formula Red/Ivory - advise?

Hey guys! I'm obviously new to the forum. I've been wanting an NSX for years now and I think I might be ready to take the plunge. I'm looking at a '91 Formula Red with 124k miles. Supposedly not in snap ring range but I need to verify through the transmission number. Aside from a few minor tears on the driver seat, what other issues do you think I'd need to be aware of? I'm planning on seeing the car next week and am going to bring my mechanic friend with me who has worked on a few of these cars but I'm sure the enthusiasts here can probably offer more insight. He's asking for $36k? Good deal for the year and mileage? I would appreciate any help and hopefully I can be an actually owner soon!

David

Going to see it next week. If everything checks okay I'd take it. What you think about the price?

More important than the price and mileage is the state of maintenance of the car.
Without maintenance info it's premature to comment on the price.
I think you need to determine if the maintenance is up to date and if there are good records.
If maintenance is needed you can spend $5K or more very quickly.
A good PPI is essential before buying.

Last edited:
If it was a one or two owner car with maintenance history and good paint and nice interior with a clean PPI then $36k is a decent price... If not, then it's too high IMO ...there are better deals online right now...

Seller has all maintenance records. The seller also advised me of a rip on the driver and passenger seat. Paint is supposedly to be in condition except for the roof, which he wrapped in black. I figure it would be a easy paint job to get to back to new. As for the seats, I'd probably get them re-upholstered in new leather. Taking my mechanic friend with me to do the PPI inspection. Crossing my fingers that its mechanically in good condition. I plan on keeping it so I wouldnt mind putting a little money into to fix the seats and roof.

Timing belt and water pump goes without saying, make sure everything is tight and free of any rattling. With the NSX, prices are kind of difficult to gauge, if you want it bad enough and fear someone else will swoop in and get it before you can pull the trigger, then the price is really subjective. Just make sure you get a good vibe from the seller and if the car doesn't seem right there is nothing wrong with walking away. Good luck man!

Timing belt and water pump goes without saying, make sure everything is tight and free of any rattling. With the NSX, prices are kind of difficult to gauge, if you want it bad enough and fear someone else will swoop in and get it before you can pull the trigger, then the price is really subjective. Just make sure you get a good vibe from the seller and if the car doesn't seem right there is nothing wrong with walking away. Good luck man!

Timing belt and water pump replaced at 100k. Vibe with seller is good so far and he's been open to providing me everything I've asked for. So far so good. Waiting for Tuesday to come!

Seller has all maintenance records. The seller also advised me of a rip on the driver and passenger seat. Paint is supposedly to be in condition except for the roof, which he wrapped in black. I figure it would be a easy paint job to get to back to new. As for the seats, I'd probably get them re-upholstered in new leather. Taking my mechanic friend with me to do the PPI inspection. Crossing my fingers that its mechanically in good condition. I plan on keeping it so I wouldnt mind putting a little money into to fix the seats and roof.

Not wanting to sound negative about your mechanic friend but it would be best if you had a quailifed NSX tech do the PPI.
There are a lot of NSX specific things that only an experienced NSX tech knows to check.
You haven't commented on what maintenance has been done but the car is 24 years old.
Around this age and mileage a number of items need doing.
Things like the timing belt/water pump, coolant hoses, window mechanisms, A/C compressor and R134a conversion, climate control board, Bose amps, fuel filter, injector servicing, valve adjustment are all things that should have been done recently.
The clutch, rotors, brakes, ALB service, clutch cylinders, clutch and brake fluid change are also areas to check.
These can add up to $5-8K quickly.
These are far more important than the cosmetics of the seats and roof renewal which are easy and relatively inexpensive.

My rule of thumb on a car is that an owner who has looked after needed maintenance automatically looks after the cosmetic stuff too.
If an owner has let the cosmetics go it's in your interest to make sure what you can't see hasn't been let go too.

My friend has worked on numerous NSX so he is well aware of issues these cars have. That's why I decided to ask him. I know the timing belt and water pump have been replaced and am waiting to see him on Tuesday to review the records. SOS 275 single disk clutch replaced at 122k. R134 AC conversion blowing cold. Will check everything else when I get there.

Also ask the seller the date that the TB/WP was replaced. On a 91 it should be every 7 years regardless of the mileage. Not many miles on the clutch so your good there. It sounds like a decent car other than the paint issues but the clear coat pealing on the top is common if the car was in the sun a bit so no biggie. Check the trunk for dampness or a musty smell and while your in there pull up the trunk floor carpet to see if there is evidence of collision repair. As was said by others price on a 91 is hard to gauge. But if the maintenance is good and there's no evidence of damage the seller's price could be in the ball park and it will be a matter of how bad you want it. Good luck. I hope it turns out to the one.

As the owner of a 91, 36 seems a bit high to me given the mileage. The documentation of maintenance history is definitely a big plus. But you are talking about having to do the paint and upholstery which could easily add up to another three grand or more. Even given the recent run-up in NSX prices, 32-34k seems like the right price to me.

But if you love it, and it's everything you are looking for in terms of color, interior, etc., and the seller digs in his heels on the price, I would not blame you for spending more.

Supposedly not in snap ring range but I need to verify through the transmission number.
Although you need the transmission number to be absolutely certain, snap ring transmissions started showing up in '91 VINs ending around MT002400. If the VIN is less than say MT002300, there's a 100 percent chance the car left the factory with a transmission that was not in the snap ring range.

My friend has worked on numerous NSX so he is well aware of issues these cars have. That's why I decided to ask him. I know the timing belt and water pump have been replaced and am waiting to see him on Tuesday to review the records. SOS 275 single disk clutch replaced at 122k. R134 AC conversion blowing cold. Will check everything else when I get there.

What's the verdict on the NSX?

I bought mine 5 years ago for 26k. Have prices gone up that much?

$36K seems high. My 1991 Black/Ivory had 90K miles. Full paperwork, timing belt/water pump done the year before I bought it. Immaculate interior. Not in snap ring range. AC blew cold, stereo worked, but passenger window was a little slow going up. Completely stock, with the fat fives.

Just got back from looking at it. Mechanically it looked okay but the exterior and interior was trash. Wish he would have told me when I asked all these questions but whatever. I wasn't going to pay 36k but with all the crap on the car, I don't think i would have even paid $26k. Disappointed but going to continue to look. I have cash in hand if anyone knows anyone selling in the So. Cal area.

I bought mine 5 years ago for 26k. Have prices gone up that much?

$36K seems high. My 1991 Black/Ivory had 90K miles. Full paperwork, timing belt/water pump done the year before I bought it. Immaculate interior. Not in snap ring range. AC blew cold, stereo worked, but passenger window was a little slow going up. Completely stock, with the fat fives.
You were very, very, VERY lucky to find a car like that for $26K five years ago. Cars like that are difficult to find at ANY price. If you could find one, a typical price on a car like that was around $30-32K five years ago, and they have gone up several thousand dollars since then.

Last edited:
You were very, very, VERY lucky to find a car like that for $26K five years ago. Cars like that are difficult to find at ANY price. If you could find one, a typical price on a car like that was around $30-32K five years ago, and they have gone up several thousand dollars since then.

Yea I know prices have gone up. I'm looking for anything 1st gen in relatively good condition for under $40k. I'll just keep searching.....

Good call holding off, if there was alot of cosmetic work, $36k is too much to ask. The guy who got his for $26k got one hell of a deal, lucky guy.

To put it in perspective, I just purchased a 1991 Black MT with 90K miles clean title, cosmetically 8/10, out of snap ring range. But it needed alot of mechanical work TB/WP, tune up, etc. I picked it up for $24k, put about $2k into all of the maintenance items (did them all myself), and now its running like a top. As of now, I still think it would only be worth $30K or so. Once the cosmetics are around 10/10, I would be able to start asking $34k-$36k range... Just my opinion.

Good luck in your search, and due to the rarity, alot of the price depends on the car, the buyer, and the seller...

I have to disagree. Around five years ago I found a lightly modified 91 with 78K on the clock for 27. It did need a tb/wp which I had done before even picking up the car. But you could find 91 NSXs in various states of modification and mileage back then from the mid 20s to the low 30s. Yes, prices have jumped significantly since then. A nice all stock 91 now with 80K miles, current maintenance, and a clean history can easily fetch 30-32K. One more time...(Hagerty valuation tool)

Attachments

• Hagerty Valuation on 91 as of April 2015.jpg
    Hagerty Valuation on 91 as of April 2015.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
I have to disagree. Around five years ago I found a lightly modified 91 with 78K on the clock for 27. It did need a tb/wp which I had done before even picking up the car.
So in other words, assuming the typical $2K cost for the timing belt job, you paid $29K, which is pretty darn close to $30-32K and more than 10 percent off from the $26K figure previously mentioned. Thanks for posting an example that agrees with my statement! :)

Last edited:
So in other words, assuming the typical $2K cost for the timing belt job, you paid $29K, which is pretty darn close to $30-32K and more than 10 percent off from the $26K figure previously mentioned. Thanks for posting an example that agrees with my statement! :)
Not to argue with one of Prime's most knowledgable members but...Ok...Yeah, I'll argue with the Pope if given the opportunity...;) Actually I only paid 1K for the timing belt job. It was time, not mileage that necessitated the change. And most of the stuff one would normally do at the tb/wp change had been done within the last few thousand miles and were not time-sensitive. So only the tb/wp were changed, not the tensoner, and all the gaskets and seals one would normally change at that point. Also the car had 78K miles, not 90-something K. And my car had a fully documented complete ownership and service history. And I bought quick rather than really looking around for the best deal. Had I been more patient I'm pretty confident I could have found a nice example with a fresh tb/wp for 26.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course I could also have found nice examples that were fetching closer to 30K back then. And of course, that was then and this is now.

The problem for me is finding one with relatively low mileage and near stock in good condition. I'm fine with exhaust and a few mods but nothing too crazy. I'd like to be able to put my own touches on the car. Pricing wise, if I could find a 91 or 92 under 36k, i'd be really interested but there are no cars for sale (that I could find) near me that fit the bill. I would really like to be able to take a look at the car because I am rather picky about the cosmetic issues as well as the mechanics. I'm really itching to find one soon so its making it hard for me not to just settle for one that is OK just to get it. Seriously though, if anyone has friends or friends of friends selling one under $35k in relatively good condition, send them my way!

- - - Updated - - -

Good call holding off, if there was alot of cosmetic work, $36k is too much to ask. The guy who got his for $26k got one hell of a deal, lucky guy.

To put it in perspective, I just purchased a 1991 Black MT with 90K miles clean title, cosmetically 8/10, out of snap ring range. But it needed alot of mechanical work TB/WP, tune up, etc. I picked it up for $24k, put about $2k into all of the maintenance items (did them all myself), and now its running like a top. As of now, I still think it would only be worth $30K or so. Once the cosmetics are around 10/10, I would be able to start asking $34k-$36k range... Just my opinion.

Good luck in your search, and due to the rarity, alot of the price depends on the car, the buyer, and the seller...

where do you guys find these cars at these prices? I've looking for the past month and nothing in relatively good condition comes up close to 30-32k.

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts on this one? http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/188793-91-Berlina-Black-NSX-for-sale-VIN-JH4NA1150MT002532

Forum member obviously. Anyone seen this car in person?

The problem for me is finding one with relatively low mileage and near stock in good condition. I'm fine with exhaust and a few mods but nothing too crazy. I'd like to be able to put my own touches on the car. Pricing wise, if I could find a 91 or 92 under 36k, i'd be really interested but there are no cars for sale (that I could find) near me that fit the bill. I would really like to be able to take a look at the car because I am rather picky about the cosmetic issues as well as the mechanics. I'm really itching to find one soon so its making it hard for me not to just settle for one that is OK just to get it. Seriously though, if anyone has friends or friends of friends selling one under $35k in relatively good condition, send them my way!

- - - Updated - - -

where do you guys find these cars at these prices? I've looking for the past month and nothing in relatively good condition comes up close to 30-32k.

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts on this one? http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...lina-Black-NSX-for-sale-VIN-JH4NA1150MT002532

Forum member obviously. Anyone seen this car in person?

I was fortunate enough to have seen it driving by many times. Once I got in the market, I decided i'd go talk to the guy. Turns out he was planning on selling it this summer, so it wasn't even advertised yet. It may have been swooped up faster if it was online...

The things that concern me are the mileage, seats, and no ABS. I haven't driven one without ABS so I don't know much about how different it is.

Back