• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking at buying a 91 but...

I have wanted a 1991 for so long that I am obsessed, and I finally have the means to buy one. Unfortunately, certain people keep telling me that they (either the 91s or the NSXs or both) are problematic, and I should get something "reliable."

Check out the wiki http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Page if you haven't already. IMO, the only real concern you should have is if the '91 car you're considering has a transmission that falls in the "snap ring" range. Other than that, it's a 25+ year old car, so there's going to be "normal" issues if the car wasn't properly maintained. At the end of the day, it's still Honda with the reliability that comes with it.

Last edited:
I have wanted a 1991 for so long that I am obsessed, and I finally have the means to buy one. Unfortunately, certain people keep telling me that they (either the 91s or the NSXs or both) are problematic, and I should get something "reliable."

"Certain people" are idiots.

Have any of those "certain people" ever owned one?

Do any of these "certain people" own any 25 year old cars? Thousands of owners do and drive them all the time.

My '91 NSX came to me with the TB & WP up to date, the window regulators fixed, a non-snap ring issue trans, a Grom ipod cable on the stock stereo, 100% functional HVAC already converted to r134, etc etc. It doesn't leak at all and starts 1st try after sitting for a month.

My point : not all '91s are the same. Also.. you can read other forums to see if new cars are trouble free [emoji3]

As much as I want to help you your interrogative...the question is the inverse of the truth...so my troll alarm went off...

My 1991 is the most reliable car I have ever owned.
I have no issue with getting in it and driving across the country. Tracking it (driving as hard as I can) and driving home.
do that with any other 25 year old car...

Who are these "certain people"?

Who are these "certain people"?

I think they're the same people that have never driven the car and only look at the spec sheet numbers and fuss about the market prices without bothering to actually get any experience with the cars or their owners.

I never follow what 'they say' unless 'they' have concrete proof :cool:

Part of the ownership experience is replacing 25 year old parts and being awed by the incredible Honda engineering and craftsmanship.

hmmmm you have a 50% chance your marriage will end in divorce...humans are less reliable....

I'm with Doc. Assuming this long-held obsession resulted in at least some poking around online or at Prime over the years...find some repeat complaints online of lemon/problematic ownership experences for a non-heavily-modified NSX beyond radio/HVAC/windows/snapring and I'm taking you bigfoot hunting with me. We're gonna shock the world.

Or I could be completely wrong and if so, OP: we'll be glad to help answer any questions you may have.

Last edited:
haha we are all moths to flame..........just like this thread..........:biggrin:

Hey with threads like this feel free to post anything...btw what is the national average divorce rate?....I assume a blended rate of all divorce whether it be first or multiple for each person..and so sorry to the op for straying OT:biggrin:

.thanks for the read!....bottom line the nsx is more reliable in marriage than a person :redface: and thats really what this thread is about after all.....:eek:

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, you were half right - "certain people" includes a husband, but also a son-in-law. I don't think either one of them knows a thing about these cars.

Anyway I have been reading about the snap ring issue. Looks like I first need to get the transmission numbers off of any car I'm interested, to find out if it's even in the group that potentially has the problem.

You're correct about the snap-ring issue nsx gramma, and thanks for sticking around.

When it comes to the reliability of these cars, there are some notable issues that may need to be addressed (which you can find more info on in DIY forums/tech discussion/wiki), but by and large they're impressively reliable. These cars are getting old, over 25 years now for most 1991s, and any car that old will need a little refurbishment, but with up-to-date maintenance/fluids these cars can go for a very long time without repair. The kicker is that big ticket maintenance items can be spendy for this car (clutch/timing belt/water pump). With a car this age, I judge reliability on maintenance vs repair.

Take for example a 1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R. Not only are you tackling refurbishment, but you're also addressing factory fit-and-finish and poor engineering solutions in the process. The NSX is a well-designed car, and with up-to-date maintenance can be incredibly reliable.

Bottom line on any old car purchase including the nsx ..if the price is a factor and the car is at the top of your budget and you are uneasy about it then it gets tricky..if you can't do any diy maintenance then you should budget at least 10% of the purchase price as a reserve.You should check to make sure you have a qualified shop, or individual near you to perform the work.You really have to do your homework that the big ticket items like the tbwp , are not due, and the clutch/brakes are not end of life.

Back