• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking at buying a 91 but...

You're correct about the snap-ring issue nsx gramma, and thanks for sticking around.

When it comes to the reliability of these cars, there are some notable issues that may need to be addressed (which you can find more info on in DIY forums/tech discussion/wiki), but by and large they're impressively reliable. These cars are getting old, over 25 years now for most 1991s, and any car that old will need a little refurbishment, but with up-to-date maintenance/fluids these cars can go for a very long time without repair. The kicker is that big ticket maintenance items can be spendy for this car (clutch/timing belt/water pump). With a car this age, I judge reliability on maintenance vs repair.

Take for example a 1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R. Not only are you tackling refurbishment, but you're also addressing factory fit-and-finish and poor engineering solutions in the process. The NSX is a well-designed car, and with up-to-date maintenance can be incredibly reliable.

Thanks usafdarkhorse, your comments are much appreciated. The fact that these cars are still on the road, in great shape, and in demand pretty much negates the reliability nonsense. Since they have been around for so long, all the issues and solutions have been identified. My job right now is to make sure I know all the right questions to ask while shopping, so I don't get any big surprises.

each region of the country has a nsxca chapter and passionate owners.....once you identify a car that meets your criteria you can ask in the local forum for a member to check the car out with a more experienced eye.

Bottom line on any old car purchase including the nsx ..if the price is a factor and the car is at the top of your budget and you are uneasy about it then it gets tricky..if you can't do any diy maintenance then you should budget at least 10% of the purchase price as a reserve.You should check to make sure you have a qualified shop, or individual near you to perform the work.You really have to do your homework that the big ticket items like the tbwp , are not due, and the clutch/brakes are not end of life.

Hi docjohn, thank you very much for your comments. If I can find a car locally I will definitely bring it in for a pre purchase inspection to get some assurance that previous work was done right and there isn't something big looming.

good luck......and glad you took the troll commentary in stride....we like to have some good natured fun when possible.Pretty much every topic about nsx has been discussed.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, you were half right - "certain people" includes a husband, but also a son-in-law. I don't think either one of them knows a thing about these cars.

Anyway I have been reading about the snap ring issue. Looks like I first need to get the transmission numbers off of any car I'm interested, to find out if it's even in the group that potentially has the problem.

Hi there,
Now that you seem to be a serious shopper, I wanted to share a link that might help you and lists a lot of common things to look for.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...NSX-shoppers?p=1852402&viewfull=1#post1852402

Once I found my NSX, I wanted to park in one place all the good helpful threads that I found at nsxprime that helped my hunt. I'd refer to these links really often and find some to still be helpful even today. Hope this helps some!

good luck......and glad you took the troll commentary in stride....we like to have some good natured fun when possible.Pretty much every topic about nsx has been discussed.

Haha, yes it probably read like a troll comment, since I was feeling quite grumpy with you-know-who.

I must say, I have been reading around the different threads and the amount of information here is VAST!!! It may take me MONTHS to read it but that's OK because it is so interesting!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there,
Now that you seem to be a serious shopper, I wanted to share a link that might help you and lists a lot of common things to look for.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...NSX-shoppers?p=1852402&viewfull=1#post1852402

Once I found my NSX, I wanted to park in one place all the good helpful threads that I found at nsxprime that helped my hunt. I'd refer to these links really often and find some to still be helpful even today. Hope this helps some!

Amazing - it's like a combination checklist - encyclopedia - catalog (with a bit of comedy thrown in)! Thank you for putting this together, and thank you for sharing it!

"Certain people" are idiots.

Have any of those "certain people" ever owned one?

Do any of these "certain people" own any 25 year old cars? Thousands of owners do and drive them all the time.

I wish I could "like" this post.

I agree that certain people are idiots. I have owned two and now own a 1997. To be truthful, I am scared shitless over the 1997. The 1991 I can figure out. The 1997, I need to dust off my Ohm meter, break out the manual, etc.

Buy the car you like, come to this forum for advice, repeat and and enjoy.

Sheesh.

Haha, yes it probably read like a troll comment, since I was feeling quite grumpy with you-know-who.

I must say, I have been reading around the different threads and the amount of information here is VAST!!! It may take me MONTHS to read it but that's OK because it is so interesting!

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing - it's like a combination checklist - encyclopedia - catalog (with a bit of comedy thrown in)! Thank you for putting this together, and thank you for sharing it!
Welcome, nsx gramma. Correct, there is an enormous amount of information here, for just about any question you might have. I lurked here as a non-member for 9 months before my purchase, reading everything I could including the DIY threads, so I'd know enough about them to spot a good one when I saw it. I ended up with a pristine '91 at a very fair price and I couldn't be happier. Certain people could get a pretty good education on all things NSX here too, and then maybe they'd see the wisdom in your choice. Happy reading!

Welcome NSX Gramma. I've owned two NSXs. My first was a 91. This forum has helped me buy both and both were listed on here. Plus folks here knew the history of both cars. This is a valuable resource, so use it. The NSX is an exotic car. And as with all exotic cars it will have it's little quirks ie, ABS pump, Stereo, etc. But, it is a Honda after all and the cost normally associated with exotic cars is minimal. However, parts are a bit more expensive than your average Accord. My suggestion, assuming that you buy an NSX, is have an experienced NSX mechanic available so that any work you have done is done right. And don't ever do anything on the car on the cheap. Always get the best for your car. The higher short term cost will mean long term savings. I've been very surprised at how affordable these cars can be if always maintained properly. There are many on here that own other more expensive and newer exotic cars. And most will say that their old NSX is still their favorite. Until you drive one, you'll never know why those that own them are such fanatics. Good luck in your search.

Back