• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for Career Advice!- US/International Work

Okay NSX community I need your advice:

I'm a Project Management & Project Controls professional with 15+ years experience and a recent MBA degree; I'm currently at a large integrated oil company in Canada and looking for a breakout role. While this could possibly happen at my current firm I have been considering potentially leaving, for the right opportunity.

I know it's cliche but I want to take my career to the "next level", and use my skills, experience, and education to:
  • broaden my experience to other industries (finance, engineering, and others), or
  • work elsewhere in Canada (Vancouver, Toronto, etc.) or internationally: USA, Europe, Asia, and (parts of) Middle East, or
  • gain employment at a large oil company
...or any combination of the above 3.

My family is fully on board, and I've been applying to opportunities left & right that fit my profile, with no luck.
How do I break into a new company, industry, or country?

Thanks in advance,
Fuji

First you need to find a company to sponsor you. Secondly, oil is over $40/barrel today so maybe your industry will be ok :)

In my line of work... I get a lot of folks who want to do what we do. However, it's quite specialized and they often have to take a pay cut and/or a title demotion to prove themselves and learn the business. I've recently hired 2 late 20 somethings and they did this exact thing.

Good luck!

btw.. word of mouth, networking, perseverance, down right cold calling works as far as getting noticed and getting an interview. I'd say 75% of the people on my team did not come a recruiter and did not find me via the job sites.

My first guess is that there are lots of international opportunities right in the field you're in now. Energy/petrochemicals are some of the most global firms to work for and if you are willing to work a 'hardship post', it can get you into the door and establish yourself as someone who can work effectively in even tough circumstances. That builds your value, grows your network, etc. and makes even more opportunities.

First of all Congrats on the MBA.

Why not try to take the "breakout role" at your current employer while searching in other induries? I would look into promotion within the current employer which could beef up your resume for the next level at different employer

This is some great advice so far, thanks guys!

It's nice to know that I am doing some things corrct already, like networking (internal and external to my company), being open to more junior roles, and looking for promotion within my firm. Thanks to your replies I also have a couple things to work on and boost my chances for that "next level" job.... which is great.

Think I'll concentrate on Canada/Europe/Asia for now, as I'm told it can be very hard for a foreigner to break into the US without a green card. I'll also do some targeted searching and select emailing of prospective employers, maybe even recruiters who seem knowledgable.

Thanks again, keep the suggestions coming!

First of all Congrats on the MBA.

Why not try to take the "breakout role" at your current employer while searching in other induries? I would look into promotion within the current employer which could beef up your resume for the next level at different employer

I'm not quite sure about big boy careers,

but in the lower and intermediate fields, it's nowadays a lot easier to jump companies for increase in pay. Staying in one place no longer affords you the mobility it once did.

All to my limited knowledge of course.

I'm not quite sure about big boy careers,

but in the lower and intermediate fields, it's nowadays a lot easier to jump companies for increase in pay. Staying in one place no longer affords you the mobility it once did.

All to my limited knowledge of course.

That is also a consideration, sometimes "if you want to grow, you have to go"; growth meaning in pay and in position.

I've done some switches between companies in my formative years and been exposed to excellent new experiences, and have a well-rounded resume as a result.

Now, as a mid-career professional, I'm more cognizant of the message a bouncy resume will send for someone in my career stage, so I'm really only considering jumping ship for that breakout role...no lateral moves.

My belief is that being with one company for a long time can be beneficial, especially for those in leadership roles; but for more technical people they risk being pigeon-holed, and having their career stagnate.

That said, I'm at a relatively large firm where opportunities (theoretically) exist to move between business lines... and you could spend your entire working life in different careers all at the same employer. This is great for recruitment and morale purposes, but in reality it's not very common.

I'm pursuing these intra-company opportunities by networking and other activities, but there will be a point where if nothing has happened then I'll consider leaving.

I'm not there yet, but a great breakout role as described in the original post would help make the decision easier. I guess I am trying to get the best of both worlds.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

You should be overjoyed to work at a place like that. They are almost non-existent in the US. Talk to HR about diversifying your career.
On the other hand, if adventure and growth is what you crave, I have one word: Iran.

LOL, Iran would be quite the adventure.

Great for me when I was a bachelor or definitely before children, but I think I'll wait for things to settle down over there.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

My experience in the industrial world is that upward mobility comes from the line not staff positions.
By line I mean production management, marketing management or financial management.

It's not clear what role you currently have but project management usually provides services on new capital investment.
The ultimate responsibility for new capital projects usually rests with senior line managers in the manufacturing sector of a company.

If you wish to progress I'd suggest you would be best moving into a line production role.
Staff jobs like project management generally report to senior line managers and although many senior staff jobs can pay well etc. it's the senior line managers who have the most options.

Very well said!
As helpful as support groups are, they will usually be on the periphery.

Getting closer to where the money is made (upstream or downstream) is definitely part of my goals.

Getting closer to where the money is made (upstream or downstream) is definitely part of my goals.

One of the dilemmas, assuming you are in your mid to late thirties, is competing with others who joined line management, either production or marketing, at an early age.
They may now be the same age as you, perhaps not as well educated, but some will have proven they are successful line managers and are promotable.
Companies usually identify these employees fairly early and groom them for senior line positions.

For you to enter line management at this stage is probably a step backward in income until you can demonstrate what you're capable of.
Tough step to take.

However there are always locations where no one wants to go and attracting employees is a challenge.
At some of these places one can get line roles much easier than in the preferred locales.
Your willingness to relocate may be just what's needed for you to break into the right job.

If your current employer is a large multi-national the easiest move is with them.
Much harder to convince a new employer of your skill set and some may wonder why your existing employer didn't want to relocate you.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Start your own firm.

All this discussion of how to work the career system when someone else values your worth as an employee makes my head swim. Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it.

Harpoon- I've started my own firm by working as an independent contractor providing professional services before, and it was very lucrative from a tax and expenses perspective...when times when times were good.

When the business cycle goes south (see: 2008, 2015) this higher-cost help are the first people to be shown the door.

Bottom line is that you are still counting on someone to "value your worth", with said value being higher than normal because you are easily disposable. The tradeoff was more money for less security.

As for starting my own "proper"firm, apart from lacking geological knowledge, the barriers to entry are very high in the resource sector: large capital costs and myriad regulations and certifications to comply with.

Also, my competitive advantage of experience & education could be easily replicated (hired) by other firms.

I could start a firm in a new industry, but seem to have missed both the Frozen Yogurt and the Food Truck trends...so will be keeping my eyes open for the Next Big Thing. ;)

JD- You've touched on the key dilemma I have with my current employer, namely: are staff actually able to move between different areas of the business to allow for career growth, or is it more of a rare occurrence that is played up for recruitment and morale purposes? Time will tell.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far, keep them coming!

Back