• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for t-belt , valve adj history

jh4na115xmt003056

1991 Berlina black/ ivory with 18"PIAA wheels- extremely clean,prior owner polished up all the aluminum suspension and SS exhaust undercar!

Purchased this recently with 125k
Can somebody run the VIN on this and find history for me?
I know it's a long shot- I think N. Cali bay area dealer(s) have worked on it.
I'm an auto tech and will go ahead and inspect/ do it if it hasn't been done per maintenance schedule.

Just thought maybe someone on this forum might have knowledge of it
Thanks

Jake

There's no central source where you can "run the VIN and find a history". Maintenance is only recorded by individual dealers; even if you run a Carfax, it won't show maintenance service in 99.9 percent of cases. Any Acura dealer can run it but it will only show the status of any recall campaigns. For a history of all routine service, the only place that may have it is the specific dealer or shop that did the work.

Sooo...you're an "auto tech" and you bought a 125K mile NSX with no maintenance records and didn't do a PPI before you dropped the coin? How much did you pay for this gem?

I want to hear the story behind this one---

I know it's a long shot- I think N. Cali bay area dealer(s) have worked on it.

If you have an idea on which dealer(s) worked on you car, give them a call and see if they have any records/maintenance history.

And how do you know he didn't do a PPI? Even if he did, I highly doubt one would be able to nail down when the TB was last changed or whether the valve lash had been redone.

If the last owner took the time to polish the suspension then there's a good chance that he did all the required maintenance on time but why take the chance. It's worth asking around before you do it.

Cheers,
Ian

Sooo...you're an "auto tech" and you bought a 125K mile NSX with no maintenance records and didn't do a PPI before you dropped the coin? How much did you pay for this gem?

I want to hear the story behind this one---

Jake? the one that work at carmax and bought the black nsx that i was trying to buy at roseville carmax auction? LOL! if so, i couldve had 2 nsx! and bro recently my ride got rear ended! nsx-less! =(

but yeah i got comptech exhaust and i think you just pm me about it

Pull a carfax, etc... find the prior owner locations, they may have serviced car at dealer near there, it's a stretch

either way, DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE and check everything twice, CV boots, random bolts being loose, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Gaskets, VVIS Butterfly screws, window regs, radio, climate control, clutch, shift linkage, etc...
if stuff doesn't work... Primers before you have fixed it and probably recorded the experience and details here.

...and change the oil :rolleyes:

See if you can find a trans snap-ring repair bill, since this car is a snap-ring range car. To be 100% sure, check the trans number, but based on the production run and VIN, it will have a S/R trans.

Regards,
LarryB

Very long story short, even if you have the "paperwork" that says the work was done that really doesn't mean much. I have a near perfect 91 black ivory with 27,000 miles on it (bought with 19,427) had all the paper work for timing belt, valve adjustments etc, problem is because of age I decided to remove the engine and replace or upgrade certain Items such as hoses, clutch, timing belt water pump, cam seals etc. My mechanic took over 200 pics of the process and invited me to stop by anytime to check on the progress. What he showed me scared me to death. Timing belt had stretched so the timing was off, had original water pump, the one bank of valves ( harder to work on with engine in car) had original spark plugs, and the valves clearances were all "tight" as opposed to the other bank which were in spec and newer plugs. Can you say ticking time bomb. Be careful. I had a ppi done by my mechanic but he didn't check for the upgraded water pump cover. the car ran so good and passed California smog with flying colors and got 30 mpg on a trip, that there were no red flags to indicate that the work wasn't done. So much for long story short. Take your time, use nsx prime, have a honest mechanic and you one day will have one of the greatest cars ever made.

Back