• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking To Buy A 92, Any Words Of Advice?

I'm going to look at a 92, 5 speed with 105K for asking price of $26,500. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated other than what is already mentioned here in FAQs. I have been looking for an NSX on and off for the past 10 years and finally at a point to feel comfortable making a purchase on an older model that I can afford and if after this long I still desire an NSX, I must really want one with all of the other cars available to choose from new or used for this same price range. My biggest concern is the high mileage which is actually not high for its age. I am going to do all the normal checks with CARFAX, snap ring, etc., etc. but just not sure how long I can expect good service from an NSX engine. My 95 Ingtegra GS-R has 126K (no problems other than normal wear and tear), my 97 2.2CL has 97K (no problems other than normal wear and tear). By normal wear and tear I mean oil changes, timing/water pump and clutches. I am very pleased with Acura products but the NSX is another category as an Exotic and obviously from this website not as reliable or as few problems (expected and willing to accept).

My biggest problem with locating an NSX is I'm in Hawaii and if its not on the island, you can have it unless you buy via internet, etc. I see tons on Ebay and Autotrader but hard to buy sight unseen like my brother-in-law who bought a truck from Ebay and got burnt when it arrived in Hawaii to find not as advertised. I'm in VA for a week so decided to see what I could find in person to purchase. This 92 I'm looking at tomorrow is supposed to be really clean, just high mileage.

I am really impressed with the folks on this site and forums and can't wait until I become an NSX owner someday and can have a more active role with all the NSX owners. The folks here are so willing to help others like a family. I guess like any other exotic with owners proud of their cars, they really are a family with something in common to share.

Thanks,

Craig

WANTANNSX said:
My 95 Ingtegra GS-R has 126K (no problems other than normal wear and tear), my 97 2.2CL has 97K (no problems other than normal wear and tear). By normal wear and tear I mean oil changes, timing/water pump and clutches. I am very pleased with Acura products but the NSX is another category as an Exotic and obviously from this website not as reliable or as few problems (expected and willing to accept).

Sorry, but I disagree. The NSX is every bit as reliable, and has as few problems, as an Integra or a CL. You may hear about problems here, because that's part of what this board is for. But if you compare this board to a board for any other make or model, you will see that more of us are talking about subjects OTHER THAN problems with our cars.

That is not to say that nothing ever goes wrong with NSXs. But you can expect no more problems from a '92 NSX with 105K miles than from a '92 Integra with 105K miles or a '92 Legend with 105K miles. Probably less.

'91 NSX
'94 GS-R
'01 ITR

Re: Re: Looking To Buy A 92, Any Words Of Advice?

nsxtasy said:
Sorry, but I disagree. The NSX is every bit as reliable, and has as few problems, as an Integra or a CL. You may hear about problems here, because that's part of what this board is for. But if you compare this board to a board for any other make or model, you will see that more of us are talking about subjects OTHER THAN problems with our cars.

That is not to say that nothing ever goes wrong with NSXs. But you can expect no more problems from a '92 NSX with 105K miles than from a '92 Integra with 105K miles or a '92 Legend with 105K miles. Probably less.

'91 NSX
'94 GS-R
'01 ITR

Ken is absolutely correct. In fact, I think the NSX is more reliable than other Honda/Acura cars because it was developed during what I personally would call the good old days of Honda. Like you, I have had many Honda/Acura cars ranging from Civics, to Integras, to 3 Acura Legend Coupes. All have been great cars and lasted a long time. Same with the NSX. So far my 92 NSX has been trouble free. The only thing I had to do since I owned it was replace the shrinking top windshield molding and replace my coolant tank.

You already know the basic things to look for on a 91-92 and some 93 like the window regulator, but as long as it is not broken yet I wouldn't call it a deal breaker if it hasn't been changed. Just spend the $16 or so dallars and fix it yourself. Snap ring is a bigger issue though , but if it has been fixed than no problem at all. Mine failed when it was with the previous owner, but he had it goodwilled and NSX-R gears put it at the time of repair. Lke Ken said, I think the only reason why you see many problems pop up on this forum is because many owners are very touchy (I was really looking for another word but it wouldn't be politically correct:D ) about every detail on their cars. Most other Honda/Acura owners will not be so critical of their cars.

Anyway, good luck with your NSX search and since your are from Honolulu, come meet up with the rest of us on the Oahu when you get your NSX.

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to pass on this one. Although very, very clean and receipts of service from 16K, it does fall in the snap ring range and was not addressed as of yet and the is quite a bit of oil on the bottom of the transmission. Great person to deal with who is selling and this is a plus. I might regret passing up this one but it is red and not exactly what I was looking for. It ran great and has some valve train noise from the underneath, rear area of the car (maybe normal). The price is right but just did not feel totally right to move on this one.

By the way, I think my comments were not taken how I meant it. By far the NSX is a much more realiable car and better than many, just from my experience I have not had any problems at all with my other two Acuras and it has never been to the dealer or a professional mechanic except for the timing belt/water pump which I chose not to repair myself. I am still sold on the NSX over any Porsche, BMW, Mercedes or Corvette and many others. It is spooky looking at all the receipts from 1995 on this NSX that I looked at today. Once of the receipt totaled $5,600 for clutch job and headwork, timing belt, etc.

Thanks again for all the help on this site to make buying a used NSX a better experience. I'm probably going to have to look to spend more and look at the better ones out there. It is unbelieveable that some NSXs are trashed and some people treat it as just another car. I have wanted one so long and cannot imagine not taking care of such awesome car that is a work of art and engineering marvel.

Back