• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

looking to get Kenwood DDX 7015

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Sep 7, 2003
Messages
560
Location
AR
I have one installed and I believe Malibu Rapper does as well.
The glare can be an issue during the day, but I think that is an issue with the console angle more than the unit. I don't hv the navi or any other extra installed. I have been happy with the unit and think it definitely "fits" in the console very well if installed properly.
You can see a few pics in my gallery and probably several more by searching this forum.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Apr 5, 2004
Messages
3,446
Location
SoCal
It's a great unit but it is due for replacement soon. Kenwood put out what looks to be the same model the DDX6017 (no longer Excelon). I would wait and see what comes next.

No problems with the stereo whatsoever but I wish it was more customizable in terms of background, screensavers, etc.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 7, 2001
Messages
1,452
Malibu Rapper said:
It's a great unit but it is due for replacement soon. Kenwood put out what looks to be the same model the DDX6017 (no longer Excelon). I would wait and see what comes next.

No problems with the stereo whatsoever but I wish it was more customizable in terms of background, screensavers, etc.

The 6017 was a piece made for just the mass merchants, but since they had sooo many 7015's on backorder they started filling them with the 6017. It does not come with a camera input and the graphics are slightly different. I have 10 6017's in stock and 3 7015's :biggrin: Both are hot sellers and great pieces. You are correct though, Kenwood is planning a 7015 replacement towards late summer or fall of this year.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
42
Location
Houston TX
SNDSOUL said:
The 6017 was a piece made for just the mass merchants, but since they had sooo many 7015's on backorder they started filling them with the 6017. It does not come with a camera input and the graphics are slightly different. I have 10 6017's in stock and 3 7015's :biggrin: Both are hot sellers and great pieces. You are correct though, Kenwood is planning a 7015 replacement towards late summer or fall of this year.

can you give me a price on these units please. Ive been searcing for these and found a few on ebay. Let me know your price please at [email protected]

Thanks.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 7, 2001
Messages
1,452
I am probably no cheaper than your local Kenwood dealer. I sell those units for $1399 installed or $1300 out the door. I know they are cheaper on ebay, but do yourself a favor and spend the extra $ at a local store that can give you a warranty and service before, during and after the sale. Kenwood gives NO WARRANTY on internet sales.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
1,392
Location
West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sidra said:
does anyone have this unit installed? Any feedback? Thanks.
I have one as well. The unit is great but there is glare due to the console angle. I'm working on building a visor to reduce the glare.
 
Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
1,124
Kenwood DDX-7015 Trim Ring

Just a thought...I notice that the Kenwood DDX-7015 comes with a trim ring, which couldn't really be used as a trim ring on the NSX center console piece, which is too narrow. But it strikes me that the trim ring would make a very useful template for drawing the hole when modifying the center console piece. After using it as a template, you could invert the trim ring and hot glue or plastic weld it to the BACK of the center console piece to use as a perfectly sized "frame" or guide for the head unit. The head unit would slide right in from the back and square up. Then of course mount the head unit securely to attaching points on the rear of the head unit. Just trying to "imagineer" what would need to be done to the center console piece. Any observations?
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Messages
5,630
Location
Bay Area CA
Most head units come with a trim ring for a surface mount and they look OK when there is an inset location on the vehicle, but for the NSX, which has a clean flush finish, a surface mount face looks out of place. Your idea of plastic welding behind the main console would normally work but the Kenwood might be a little wide to accommodate?

The method you describe is basically how I actually make the slot for the console (with a few slight changes) but then I don't use the trim ring at all.
I actually use the trim ring to make an MDF template from which to cut the slot directly using my router table with pattern cutting bit.

Co-incidentally I am cataloguing how to modify a stock console right now - will expect to have it posted up by next week. Stay tuned for that.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Apr 5, 2004
Messages
3,446
Location
SoCal
The Kenwood trim ring is a little too large to mount behind the console trim. Not to mention having it stuck to the console trim would make removing the console trim a PITA. The Kenwood trim ring snaps onto the head unit and because of that, having it stuck to the console trim makes your job a lot harder. The hard part of modifying the stock console isn't cutting out the hole, it's really just the finishing work to make it look nice again.

Here are some shots I took of the console trim when I refinished it recently. I used superglue to tack the aluminum border in place and then I used a plastic to metal epoxy to permanently affix the aluminum border to the trim.


 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Messages
640
Location
Washington DC
Malibu,

That is a very clean install.
It looks fantastic!

Nate in DC
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
1,392
Location
West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Here are some pics of the visor I made. It inserts between the face and the top opening. You need to pull it out when the face opens. I'm working on a visor with the sides now further reduce glare.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1555 b.jpg
    IMG_1555 b.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1537 b.jpg
    IMG_1537 b.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1536 b.jpg
    IMG_1536 b.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 325
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jul 5, 2003
Messages
415
Malibu Rapper said:
The Kenwood trim ring is a little too large to mount behind the console trim. Not to mention having it stuck to the console trim would make removing the console trim a PITA. The Kenwood trim ring snaps onto the head unit and because of that, having it stuck to the console trim makes your job a lot harder. The hard part of modifying the stock console isn't cutting out the hole, it's really just the finishing work to make it look nice again.

Here are some shots I took of the console trim when I refinished it recently. I used superglue to tack the aluminum border in place and then I used a plastic to metal epoxy to permanently affix the aluminum border to the trim.


Malibu
I have to hand it to you...that has to be the cleanest/factory like look and install I have ever seen. :eek: Lookin good man........ :biggrin: :biggrin:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
1,392
Location
West Los Angeles, CA, USA
menuserve said:
malibu.... damn thats just awesome baby!

i would love to do exactly the same thing!
In case you have bought a unit yet, the Eclipse 2454 have really come down in price since a newer model is out. I think you can find new ones on eBay for around $1,000-$1,100.
 
Top