• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lotus unveils the Evora

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/22/london-2008-lotus-unveils-the-evora/

Project Eagle has finally been unveiled today at the 2008 British Motor Show as the Evora, and Lotus is beaming over its little eaglet. The Evora will be the most grown up and accessible Lotus in the British manufacturer's lineup. To illustrate, the automaker claims it will fit two American males in the front seats (did they just call us fat?). It's a mid-engine, 2+2 coupe (a convertible is planned) with 3.5L V6 sourced from Toyota but elevated by Lotus above its humble origins to produce 276 horsepower. The car weighs just 2,976 lbs., which might be a lot for a Lotus but is well below the average weight of most cars. The interior is unlike any you've seen from this automaker, which is to say that occupying one won't be like staying in a hostel compared to a four-star hotel. You've got leather all around, a nav system, and Lotus promises ingress and egress have been vastly improved over its other models.

The Evora will be built on a new assembly line at the company's assembly plant in Hethel, England at the rate of 2,000 annually, but has been designed to meet safety and emissions requirements around the world. That many cars for so many markets means the Evora will be exclusive, although we don't expect Lotus to leave money on the table if there's big demand for its new, softer, more accessible sports car. Other vehicles will also eventually be built on the Evora's new aluminum chassis, which is called the Versatile Vehicle Architecture (VVA) and was first seen on the Lotus APX Concept. It can be stretched, widened and carry a vehicle weighing over 4,000 lbs. One new Lotus is enough for now, though, as we try to wrap our heads around a Hethel-based car with creature comforts.

bims08lotusevora_1.jpg

bims08lotusevora_2.jpg

010_evoralotus.jpg

Last edited:
Not too shabby! Im not a fan of 2+2 cars but I'll give the car its due. Name however...Evora...sounds like a human body part or bodily function. Still a nice car though.

I thought the 3.5L Toyota engines made 306hp? Is this not the same engine that is in the Lexus IS?

If only the electronics were also made by Toyota -- imagine, Toyota reliability with Lotus suspension, chassis, and design. I hope the price falls near the current Elise pricing.

Exactly....not exactly something I need lol. Honda quality vs Lotus?

Technically its a Toyota. (At least thats what the areticle says about engine source) :wink::tongue::biggrin:

Having owned a Lotus in the past I can say that the car has always had desirable styling, but the reliability issues can drive you out of your mind.
Can any recent Lotus owners speak about reliablility on some of the newer models?

Technically its a Toyota. (At least thats what the areticle says about engine source) :wink::tongue::biggrin:

Well, the engine is...but how about the rest of the car?

I think the current Elises are toyota engines as well...and from the rumblings I've heard there are still some "other" quality issues.

I believe the Elise has a Toyota transmission as well. An employee had one for several months and didn't have any issues (other than the fact it was too low and he couldn't get over the speed bump in the parking lot).

I like it. I don't approve of the roof, but I think it's very nice.....like a new Lotus should look.

Well, the engine is...but how about the rest of the car?

I think the current Elises are toyota engines as well...and from the rumblings I've heard there are still some "other" quality issues.

Ah ok...I have not heard of the "other" quality issues. Fair enough. I have only spoken to a couple Elise folks I have seen around and they mostly spoke of the motor. I don't own one so I have no feedback on what these might be. All I know is when I sat in one, it was too snug for my taste. :smile:

Not bad except the motor seems like the same one out of my Lexus E350! I would guess a SC version will follow in the future.

Performance should be damn near identical to a 3.2 NSX.

Any price guesses? I hope it's south of $75k

Just a WAG, but I can't imagine it would be much more than an Elise. I'm guessing mid-high 40s. This is no Esprit in performance, I can't imagine anyone paying Esprit level prices for what looks like a heavier, more optioned Elise.

DSC_0074.jpg

The Evora just seems like a blander version of the Elise. I feel it lost something in the translation to a 2+2 car.

Apparently people right now are test driving it in Gran Turismo: 5 Prologue at the British Motor Show.

Last edited:
I just got all excited thinking there was a GT5:p update...

There will be an update on August 1st. No mention of new cars or tracks, but seeing the Lotus Evora and Ferrari California in GT5: P has given me hope.

Having owned a Lotus in the past I can say that the car has always had desirable styling, but the reliability issues can drive you out of your mind.
Can any recent Lotus owners speak about reliablility on some of the newer models?
I ran an series 2 Elise with the 135hp from new in 2002. The car covered 20k miles in this time as my daily driver. Issues were sticking n/s rear brake from new, rectified at first service at 580 miles. Car then ran faultlessly until an over heating issue at 19400 miles. I miss that car!!

If I didn't have the NSX then I would be seriously considering the Evora :smile:

regards, Paul

Back