• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MAC OR PC which is better?

There's other aspects too. Many would say that Windows Server 2008 needs a lot more to compete with Mac OS X Server.

What's the market share difference between Windows servers and Mac OSX servers?

For kicks, toss in (non-MacOS) Unix and Linux servers.

If Mac OSX server breaks even 1%, I'd be surprised.

What's the market share difference between Windows servers and Mac OSX servers?

For kicks, toss in (non-MacOS) Unix and Linux servers.

If Mac OSX server breaks even 1%, I'd be surprised.

You are probably right. But as we've seen in smartphones, marketshare isn't everything. RIM had a huge market share at one time too.

Small business owners can simply waltz into an Apple Store and in addition to purchasing their computers, iPads, iPhones, etc but they also can their workgroup server needs met as well. No expensive consulting from a MSCE is required. And with this iCloud service coming soon it's going to be a very compelling solution for small biz.

You are probably right. But as we've seen in smartphones, marketshare isn't everything. RIM had a huge market share at one time too.

Small business owners can simply waltz into an Apple Store and in addition to purchasing their computers, iPads, iPhones, etc but they also can their workgroup server needs met as well. No expensive consulting from a MSCE is required. And with this iCloud service coming soon it's going to be a very compelling solution for small biz.

I am not sure I agree with you. I think apple if anything these days positions themselves for selling neat toys like iPhone and iPads. I don't think a small business owner even thinks twice about using a mac. Just my thoughts.

Adrian,

Your numbers are suspect. First off you included the $50 server charge on all computers.

Secondly, there's no way a MacBook costs $1600. A maxed out MacBook is $1200. 4GB and 500GB.

And as I said before you're comparing a really cheap, bottom tier computer against the Apple. A similar quality PC laptop is in the $800 range. Cheaper, but nowhere near the difference.

The ongoing software update expenses make the Mac quite competitive. And if you need Windows, you can still run it natively on the Macs.

There's other aspects too. Many would say that Windows Server 2008 needs a lot more to compete with Mac OS X Server.

-Jim

Jim,
Please re read my posts #218 and #295.

In them you will see that my numbers are infact correct and valid. The only mistake I made was that I had to compare the PC laptop I bought (Lenovo) with the MacBook PRO because the standard MacBook wasn't comparable in CPU, RAM and hard drive specs. I apologize for the confusion. Please re read 218 for more details.

As for server... Can't speak from experience. You could always just install UNix, OSX, or Linix on the PCs, but then that wouldn't be a fair comparison...

Jim,
Please re read my posts #218 and #295.

In them you will see that my numbers are infact correct and valid. The only mistake I made was that I had to compare the PC laptop I bought (Lenovo) with the MacBook PRO because the standard MacBook wasn't comparable in CPU, RAM and hard drive specs. I apologize for the confusion. Please re read 218 for more details.

As for server... Can't speak from experience. You could always just install UNix, OSX, or Linix on the PCs, but then that wouldn't be a fair comparison...

MacBook Pro is different than a MacBook. What thru me was when you wrote MacBook. A MacBook Pro is much more in line with Dell Precision laptop and not a $500 bargain unit. It's like comparing a used NSX to a used Fiero. We have Toshibas and Lenovos in the office and none of them can match the battery life, screen quality, build quality, keyboard feel and many other features of my MacBook Pro. As a professional tool that I use a LOT, it's worth the difference to me.

Apple is much more competitive in the middle and higher end laptops. As I said before, my MBP was a just tiny bit less expensive than the comparative Dell unit. And now, the MBP has new features that the Dell (and others don't even have).

-Jim

Nonetheless, it's going to be a long climb up from less than one tenth of one percent.

2i7wj5w.jpg

Do you think that 99.98% of the sysadmins out there are doing it wrong?

Nonetheless, it's going to be a long climb up from less than one tenth of one percent.

2i7wj5w.jpg

I don't think website hosting is something Apple wants to be in, or should be in. New companies seem to be choosing cloud hosting more and more nowadays, and at least from my limited experience, that's usually Linux.

2i7wj5w.jpg

Things change. VAX VMS, AS/400, IBM 360 - where are these now?

Computing is changing faster than ever. Maybe you don't need a dedicated sysadmin with Mac OS X Server? Maybe a small business owner could administer the server herself?

Apple has dedicated business people at every store. They also have a business service called Joint Venture. Apple has been slowly and methodically building the infrastructure.

We will have to see what happens.

Thunderbolt.

MacApp store.

Free developer tool suite.

MagSafe power connector.

Aluminum frame (cooler)

Thunderbolt has a total of one peripheral available right now. And as long as Thunderbolt stays exclusive to Macs, that number probably won't change much. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with thousands of devices and will have thousands in the very near future, if not already.

Anyone who knows how to visit a software vendor's website can get by without an App store just fine.

If you want to develop for a Mac or for the iPhone then you're right, a Mac is necessary.

A power connector is not the type of thing I'd expect to influence decision making for computer purchases.

The Dell Precision line has an aluminum and magnesium alloy chassis :biggrin:.

Not too strong of an argument for purchasing a MacBook Pro over a precision, especially considering (17" models compared):

The Precision has faster processor options, has upto 4x RAM (32GB vs. 8GB), double the amount of video memory and stream processors, ability to display on upto 4 screens vs. 2 for the MBP, higher resolution, RAID, SATA 3, Blu Ray, Integrated broadband, Bluetooth 3.0, larger port selection, optional touchscreen...I'm sure there's more than that.

Saying a Mac has more features that PC's don't have is just silly, the closed nature of Mac's by definition means they'll always have less options.

Not to mention, a comparable spec 17" M6600 is about $400 cheaper than a 17" MBP optioned to the max. AND, the Dell comes standard with a 3 year warranty - add another $350 to the Mac for that.

MacBook Pro is different than a MacBook. What thru me was when you wrote MacBook. A MacBook Pro is much more in line with Dell Precision laptop and not a $500 bargain unit.

Find me an Apple laptop that has these (or comparable) performance specs:
15.6" LED Screen (1366x768)
Intel Core i5-480M (2.66GHz up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)
4GB DDR3 Memory (PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz)
500GB HDD, 5400rpm
DVD Super Multi-Drive
Intel HD Graphics
Installed Operating System
Webcam
Ethernet, VGA output, HDMI output, 2 USB 2.0 ports, eSATA/USB combo port, 5-in-1 card reader, audio jacks
6 Cell Lithium-Ion (~4.5 hr battery life)
~5.5 lbs

Post the specs, the computer Model, the price and an authorized dealer that sells it.

It's like comparing a used NSX to a used Fiero. We have Toshibas and Lenovos in the office and none of them can match the battery life, screen quality, build quality, keyboard feel and many other features of my MacBook Pro. As a professional tool that I use a LOT, it's worth the difference to me.

Apple is much more competitive in the middle and higher end laptops.

This is pretty funny. Wouldn't you say that the NSX is more comparable in terms of performance & functionality to a Ferrari F355 or 360? I mean everyone always called the NSX the "poor man's Ferrari".

The NSX would be the "Lenovo" computer. The Ferrari would be the "higher end" MacBook Pro.
Why not own a Ferrari F355 instead? :smile:

Things change. ... AS/400 ... - where are these now?
We still have 3 of them where I work (but they're called something else these days). It's been 12 years, but if I had to, I could still write some git-R-done RPG code on them tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Thunderbolt has a total of one peripheral available right now. And as long as Thunderbolt stays exclusive to Macs, that number probably won't change much. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with thousands of devices and will have thousands in the very near future, if not already.

Anyone who knows how to visit a software vendor's website can get by without an App store just fine.

If you want to develop for a Mac or for the iPhone then you're right, a Mac is necessary.

A power connector is not the type of thing I'd expect to influence decision making for computer purchases.

The Dell Precision line has an aluminum and magnesium alloy chassis :biggrin:.

Not too strong of an argument for purchasing a MacBook Pro over a precision, especially considering (17" models compared):

The Precision has faster processor options, has upto 4x RAM (32GB vs. 8GB), double the amount of video memory and stream processors, ability to display on upto 4 screens vs. 2 for the MBP, higher resolution, RAID, SATA 3, Blu Ray, Integrated broadband, Bluetooth 3.0, larger port selection, optional touchscreen...I'm sure there's more than that.

Saying a Mac has more features that PC's don't have is just silly, the closed nature of Mac's by definition means they'll always have less options.

Not to mention, a comparable spec 17" M6600 is about $400 cheaper than a 17" MBP optioned to the max. AND, the Dell comes standard with a 3 year warranty - add another $350 to the Mac for that.

Thunderbolt is an Intel product. You'll see it on other computers soon. If you read my comments you would have seen that I wasn't basing my entire argument on a few features which you chose to dismiss. Whatever. The main difference is Mac OS X. Obviously Apple is doing something right because their biz is booming while PC sales are flat.

The one way street from PCs to Macs doesn't show any signs of reversal.

Not a huge Mac fan at all here, but I've done IT support for decades and more and more I'm running into Macs. Part of that is I'm doing a lot more work for groups that have creative people I suppose, but I hear from some people using Windows that at home they are all Mac and they'd be Mac at the office too if they had a choice. I have a dual boot laptop that has OSX and Windows for those times when I need to repro Mac issues. I still don't really like it as an OS, I find many things about it confusing. Today I had to change the IP addresses on a few printers and there was no way I could find to change the IP address of the already configured printers on the Mac. I had to delete the existing printer and install a new one, but perhaps that's my lack of knowledge. On windows it was just a case of changing the printer properties/port config to the new IP. I don't dislike the Mac as much as I used to... I now own an iPhone and an iPad where a few years ago I thought I'd never have a use for a Mac product. So while I don't know marketshare stats, I can say that at least to me, Macs do seem to be becoming more popular (though I am seeing more Android phones than iPhones when it comes to setting up ActiveSync for my customers)

Last edited:
I guess a macbook would be easier for someone who is computer illiterate.

What the heck did I ever do to you for you to hurl that insult my way???

Personally, I use my computers to work and make money. All I want to know is how to use it to do what I need to do. I do not want or need to know how to write software, jail-break stuff or other junk like that.

Last edited:
No, it's called consumer choice. Face it, if it weren't for Apple and the Mac, PCs would be running MS-DOS 2011.

Still waiting on the MacBook recommendation with the specs I listed. :smile:

Best Use of the Apple Store EVER!
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JnCiTSzYHRM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still waiting on the MacBook recommendation with the specs I listed. :smile:

Nothing close, sorry.

All Mac laptops have NVIDIA or AMD Radeon Graphics along with the Intel HD graphics you mentioned (used to conserve power). The standard Intel on-board graphics suck. Graphic performance is at least twice as fast on the Mac.

Only the least expensive of MacBook Pros use the i5 Core and they use the latest Sandy Bridge processors, not the obsolete prior generation you cited. All the other MacBook Pros use Sandy Bridge i7 Cores. This is one reason you're getting the bargain basement price. The MBP Sandy Bridge CPU is about twice as fast as your i5-480M.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/16

Likewise, all the MacBook Pros use the faster 1333Mhz DDR3 memory instead of the older and slower 1066Mhz. Yet another reason for the lower price and the much faster performance of the Mac.

Also, you mentioned a 4.5 hour battery life, the MacBook Pros offer 7 hrs.

MacBook Pros also offer...

Multi-touch trackpad (glass), 720p webcam, Backlit keyboard, MagSafe power port, Gigabit Ethernet port, FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps), Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps), Audio line in, Audio line out, SDXC card slot, Kensington lock slot. The 17" inch model offers an Express Card 34 slot.

It's all here...

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

But it doesn't matter, does it? You're more concerned about the price and not the value. That's cool. Some people buy on price. And that's why computers with last year's CPU and old memory standards and less features sell for $550.

-Jim

Face it, if it weren't for Apple and the Mac, PCs would be running MS-DOS 2011.

And if it wasn't for the Xerox Alto, Apple would be selling AppleDOS 2011.

Everyone steals from someone. It's how the industry has always progressed.

And if it wasn't for the Xerox Alto, Apple would be selling AppleDOS 2011.

Everyone steals from someone. It's how the industry has always progressed.

Apple created the modern computer - either Mac OS or Windows.

You can go down every major advancement in desktop computers and chances are it was introduced on a Mac by Apple. MSFT sits back and copies. Not a bad strategy, I suppose. But if you were to look at a list - it's really amazing how much stuff started at Apple and was copied (poorly) by Microsoft. And not just the iPod/Zune or Apple Store/Microsoft Store.

Last edited:
Back