• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MAC OR PC which is better?

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q4qqeE-AHIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm sorry but I just couldn't let this go. There is too much BS in here to give it a pass. I only pointed out stuff I specifically knew about, but there is a whole lot more I didn't address. I'm sure if I did a little digging I would find more that is just blatant.

But the fact that the stuff I point out are big blatant fanboism and just wrong, should make much of what else was said suspect.

Incomplete List of Apple Computing Innovations - not in any particular order

Apple pioneered, developed or popularized the following technologies. In most cases, Microsoft copied it. Taken in-whole, these advancements pretty much define our modern personal computer of today.

Personal Computing - Not the first personal computer, but the Apple I and II made personal computing happen. TRS-80 and PET were runner-ups.

Wrong. It was the C64 that made personal computing happen. The C64 sold more and were in more homes than any Apple I, II or III. FWIW, I had an Apple II and a IIe.

Laser printing (networked) - first affordable laser printer. Bootstrapped Adobe.

Wrong. That would be the HP LaserJet. The unit came out before the LaserWriter (which happened to use the same print engine as the LaserJet).

And if you are going to say "networked", that would have been the LaserJet II.

WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointing Device) paradigm popularized with Lisa and then the Mac. Much different than the original PARC Alto stuff that Apple licensed. All computers are more like Apple's vision than PARC's.

"Popularized" the Lisa. All I can do with this is LOL. And if Apple really licensed the PARC stuff, why did Xerox sue Apple for appropriating the use of their look and feel?

Apple Store and Genius Bar (now blatantly ripped off by Microsoft - "Guru or Answer Bar" - Whole concept for Apple Store was exactly copied by Microsoft. Even down to the store opening events.)

Not sure if this is a blessing or a curse.

Mac App Store is being copied by Microsoft Windows 8 App Store - Microsoft even wants to use the Apple's trademarked name of "App". Microsoft programs were never called "Apps".

Inconsequential. But I do find it amusing and irritating that Apple will continue corporate TM abuse by TMing common language.

iPhone - Entirely new paradigm for smart phones. Android (because of their mole on the BOD, ripped off the entire look-and-feel - lawsuits are still pending). At least MS had the guts to try to come up with something different for Win Phone 7.

LOL, moles.

Bitmapped screen instead of character cell based.

LOLWUT? You have to be kidding me. My Atari 400 from 3rd century BC had a dedicated coprocessor to generate bitmap graphics.

First computer with USB ports - hot swappable peripherals first on the new iMac

Wrong. First use was a PC, 1996. USB on the Mac came 2 years later on the iMac.

AppleLink - first online support and email service from a computer company. Graphical user-interface circa 1986.

Had it, it was awful.

The original AOL service came from Apple's AppleLink Personal Edition, which came from AppleLink. Of course this all predated the web. Of course, AOL eventually sucked, but at the time that was all there was (except for GEnie).

Wrong. Apple contracted Quantum Computer Services to create AppleLink Personal Edition. This service was based off of QCC's service for the C64 called QLink. QCC also released PC Link the same year as AppleLink Personal Edition. After QCC and Apple parted ways, QCC changed all their services names to AOL.

Multi-forked filing system (Data and resource forks)

Just a note, prior to OSX, the Mac file system was notoriously the worst file system of any PC. It was prone to frequent corruption and loss of data. Apple tried to update it multiple times but could not due to legacy issues. They finally pulled it off by completely tossing their original OS for the Next Computer OS.

Long file names with spaces and special chars (instead of 8.3).

Wrong. Many computers previous to Apple did not use the 8.3 convention and supported special characters, etc.

Memory Modules - SIMMS instead of separate chips. First on a Mac.

Wrong. The PC/AT computer was released in '94 and used SIMMS. The first Mac to use SIMMS was the +, in 1985.

I believe the Mac was the first computer with DSP and Sound input ports

That would have been the Atari Falcon 030.

Built in Ethernet (not an add-in card)

I'm fairly certain that this is a huge falsehood. Apple was still trying to push Appletalk as their networking protocol long after Token Ring died off and Ethernet had become entrenched in corporate. And while Ethernet was an "add in card" for PCs, most PC manufacturers allowed you to config their machines with it.

This is not a result of bad hardware planning, its just the opposite. The was a result of open architecture, the PC platform was flexible and cost efficient.

I am actually mentally drained by this. It's one thing to be a cheerleader for the things you love, but this is out of control. The amount of misinformation is staggering. Why can't you accept the fact that Apple is just a bit player in a huge marketplace and enjoy their products for what they are?

Last edited:
OK, let's review your list.... (but many of your comments are subjective and just your opinion).

I'm sorry but I just couldn't let this go. There is too much BS in here to give it a pass. I only pointed out stuff I specifically knew about, but there is a whole lot more I didn't address. I'm sure if I did a little digging I would find more that is just blatant.

But the fact that the stuff I point out are big blatant fanboism and just wrong, should make much of what else was said suspect.

Wrong. It was the C64 that made personal computing happen. The C64 sold more and were in more homes than any Apple I, II or III. FWIW, I had an Apple II and a IIe.

Well, this isn't wrong or right. It's kind of subjective. I would argue that many people credit Apple with igniting the personal computer revolution. However, C64 came out 5 years after the Apple II. So, I think you're not quite right. The revolution was already started.

Wrong. That would be the HP LaserJet. The unit came out before the LaserWriter (which happened to use the same print engine as the LaserJet).

The first networked laser printer was Apple's LaserWriter. It used Apple's LocalTalk cabling and AppleTalk protocols. The first LaserJet was not networked. I'll stand by my comment.

"Popularized" the Lisa. All I can do with this is LOL. And if Apple really licensed the PARC stuff, why did Xerox sue Apple for appropriating the use of their look and feel?

So, you LOL'd but didn't disagree. Like it or not, or LOL or not, the Lisa and Mac brought windows, mouse, bitmapped screen, fonts to the mass market. If you disagree, then tell us otherwise.

LOLWUT? You have to be kidding me. My Atari 400 from 3rd century BC had a dedicated coprocessor to generate bitmap graphics.

So? That's a lot different than having an entire bitmapped screen graphics environment and not just certain graphics. Again, Lisa and Mac were the first.

OK. You got me here. The iMac was the first to get rid of the legacy ports and move entirely to USB.

Wrong. Apple contracted Quantum Computer Services to create AppleLink Personal Edition. This service was based off of QCC's service for the C64 called QLink. QCC also released PC Link the same year as AppleLink Personal Edition. After QCC and Apple parted ways, QCC changed all their services names to AOL.

Where was I wrong? Apple created AppleLink Personal Edition (using a consultant, big deal). AppleLink was the first and it begat AppleLink PE. You're really nitpicking. If you're going to invalidate everything that was bought or developed outside then Microsoft wouldn't have hardly anything to their credit. LOL!

Wrong. Many computers previous to Apple did not use the 8.3 convention and supported special characters, etc.

What other personal computers had extended names prior to Apple's Mac?

Wrong. The PC/AT computer was released in '94 and used SIMMS. The first Mac to use SIMMS was the +, in 1985.

I'll have to check this. I had an article that said otherwise.

I'm fairly certain that this is a huge falsehood. Apple was still trying to push Appletalk as their networking protocol long after Token Ring died off and Ethernet had become entrenched in corporate. And while Ethernet was an "add in card" for PCs, most PC manufacturers allowed you to config their machines with it.

You're confusing the AppleTalk protocol, which ran over Token Ring, Ethernet and LocalTalk with the cable.

I am actually mentally drained by this. It's one thing to be a cheerleader for the things you love, but this is out of control. The amount of misinformation is staggering. Why can't you accept the fact that Apple is just a bit player in a huge marketplace and enjoy their products for what they are?

So, what I may have erred on two minor points and you claim the misinformation is staggering? LOL!!!

Last edited:
Mac.. PC.. all sucked.

The REAL revolutionary computer of that era was the Commodore Amiga. 4096 colors while everybody else was still running Hercules monochrome adapters and 16 color CGA. Dedicated kick-ass sound chip, dedicated hardware graphics blitter, revolutionary display list processor, REAL pre-emptive multitasking, command line interface AND graphical UI, etc. etc. It blew everything else out of the water and had a LOT of firsts. Too bad Commodore sucked as a company and drove their products into the ground.

The funniest thing was running MacOS under emulation on the Amiga and it actually being FASTER on the Amiga than on a real Mac! The developer of that emulator (AMax) ironically now works at Apple ;-)

But it was the Apple II that people took from their homes and into the office. Even so, it wasn't the Apple II by itself that made personal computing happen, it was the Apple II plus Visicalc. That was the real start of the PC revolution. It just happened to arrive for the Apple first.

OK, let's review your list.... (but many of your comments are subjective and just your opinion).

Well, this isn't wrong or right. It's kind of subjective. I would argue that many people credit Apple with igniting the personal computer revolution. However, C64 came out 5 years after the Apple II. So, I think you're not quite right. The revolution was already started.

It is not kind of subjective, it is market dominance. The C64 sold 15+ million units over its lifetime. Regardless of what people may claim, the numbers show clearly what computers were in most homes at the time. The were more C64s in households than Atari, Apple and IBM combined. It is what popularized home computing, not the small numbers Apple had.

The first networked laser printer was Apple's LaserWriter. It used Apple's LocalTalk cabling and AppleTalk protocols. The first LaserJet was not networked. I'll stand by my comment.

From a semantic standpoint, this is true. But I cannot in good conscience agree with this. Mainly because no one in the networking world ever looked at AppleTalk as a real networking protocol. And the fact that it catered to Apple and only Apple products goes against the whole idea of networking, allowing a disparate collection of devices to communicate with one another.

If you are going to jump in and say you could connect AppleTalk networks to Ethernet and Token Ring, yes, yes you could. Many years later.

So, you LOL'd but didn't disagree. Like it or not, or LOL or not, the Lisa and Mac brought windows, mouse, bitmapped screen, fonts to the mass market. If you disagree, then tell us otherwise.

I thought the disagreement was inherent in the LOL. I also LOLed because the the Lisa didn't popularize anything, it was a bomb and didn't sell.

Further, I'm not sure where you got all this licensing information from, Apple ripped off Xerox. Xerox sued Apple for exactly that reason.

This also really shows just how much innovation Apple did for the Mac. Apple didn't innovate anything, they just ripped of Xerox PARC and reaped the rewards for doing so. You complain about Microsoft for doing so, Apple is no different.

So? That's a lot different than having an entire bitmapped screen graphics environment and not just certain graphics. Again, Lisa and Mac were the first.
No. You are confusing hardware capabilities with software execution. Bitmapped screen graphics has been around since the dawn of time.

Now if you said wysiwyg, then I would agree with you.

OK. You got me here. The iMac was the first to get rid of the legacy ports and move entirely to USB.
Really, removal of legacy ports is the big Apple "win"? Two years after the initial execution?

Where was I wrong? Apple created AppleLink Personal Edition (using a consultant, big deal). AppleLink was the first and it begat AppleLink PE. You're really nitpicking. If you're going to invalidate everything that was bought or developed outside then Microsoft wouldn't have hardly anything to their credit. LOL!
Your whole premise is based on Apple innovating and bring things first to market. No, it was not first online support and email service from a computer company.

To spell this out for you:
1. There was already a service out that catered to the C64.
2. Apple contracted the company that made the C64 version, and it was emulated. That is the opposite of innovate, and also not first to market.
3. The same company that created the two above, made a third for the PC and released it the same year as AppleLink PE.
4. The remaining non-Apple services went on to become a hugely successful pre-Internet service, while AppleLink quietly went away.

What other personal computers had extended names prior to Apple's Mac?
Seriously? Atari, PET, C64, Amstrad... None are 8.3 and could use special characters.

You're confusing the AppleTalk protocol, which ran over Token Ring, Ethernet and LocalTalk with the cable.
No, I did say "Appletalk as their networking protocol". Further, Appletalk never ran over Token Ring or Ethernet physical layers without a bridge. Again, the bridge to allow you to link to other networks came years later.

So, what I may have erred on two minor points and you claim the misinformation is staggering? LOL!!!

None of what is stated above is "innovation", or "first to market", with the exception of Appletalk printers. But I think the explanation of networking makes AppleTalk networking weak.

I stand by my statement.

Last edited:
It is not kind of subjective, it is market dominance. The C64 sold 15+ million units over its lifetime. Regardless of what people may claim, the numbers show clearly what computers were in most homes at the time. The were more C64s in households than Atari, Apple and IBM combined. It is what popularized home computing, not the small numbers Apple had.
Business drove the PC revolution. The vast majority of those C64s were nothing more than snazzy game consoles to their owners. Home computing in the 80s is almost irrelevant to how and why the industry grew.

The C64 had no long lasting technical legacy. It was popular. It was a great gaming console. But, when you look at your Windows PC - you really don't see any shadows of the C64 but you do see the influence of the Macintosh. That was my point. Modern computers today, like Windows PCs don't owe much to the C64.

From a semantic standpoint, this is true. But I cannot in good conscience agree with this. Mainly because no one in the networking world ever looked at AppleTalk as a real networking protocol. And the fact that it catered to Apple and only Apple products goes against the whole idea of networking, allowing a disparate collection of devices to communicate with one another.

This is untrue and you are uninformed. Many Fortune 50 companies ran AppleTalk protocols over their Ethernets and Token Ring networks. Cisco routers supported AppleTalk protocols. VAX computers ran AppleTalk. PCs ran AppleTalk. Large companies did AppleTalk tunneling around the world. I don't know what else to say but you're just 100% wrong.

If you are going to jump in and say you could connect AppleTalk networks to Ethernet and Token Ring, yes, yes you could. Many years later.

Again, you're confusing networking protocols with cabling. AppleTalk as a protocol ran over Ethernet and Token Ring. Apple had their own cabling called LocalTalk. Many companies (like Kinetics and their FastPath box) in the late 80s and throughout the 90s had routers connecting their AppleTalk/LocalTalk networks to Ethernet and Token Ring networks. The AppleTalk protocols worked just fine over different cabling systems. Many large companies ran these networks. And it wasn't many years later. This stuff was all available when the Mac Plus came out.

I thought the disagreement was inherent in the LOL. I also LOLed because the the Lisa didn't popularize anything, it was a bomb and didn't sell.

Of course, the Lisa didn't sell. But it was the precursor of many technologies we take for granted today. Windows, mouse, pointer, bitmapped screen, etc. That is why Lisa is important. The C64 sold many times more - but the computers (Mac and Windows) we use today owe more to the Lisa than to the C64.

Further, I'm not sure where you got all this licensing information from, Apple ripped off Xerox. Xerox sued Apple for exactly that reason.

Uhhhh.... you're wrong again. The court dismissed Xerox's claims without because Xerox had licensed it to Apple in 1979. Not ripped off. Licensed. Also, if you look at the Alto and Star these were much different than what Apple came up with for the Lisa (and the Mac). Put another way, MSFT followed Apple's lead, not Xerox's.

No. You are confusing hardware capabilities with software execution. Bitmapped screen graphics has been around since the dawn of time.

There were vector graphics (ala Tektronix), character cell graphics and bitmapped display graphics. Alto, Star (not the dawn of time) paved the way for high-res bitmapped graphical displays and the memory handling that went along with that. It wasn't until that point in time that CPUs and memory was able to achieve this capability. Lisa and Mac picked up on this technology. Anyone can do a search on how much of a breakthrough high-rez bitmapped screens were on the Alto, Star, Lisa and Mac, so we really don't need to quibble over this. It's in the historical record.

Really, removal of legacy ports is the big Apple "win"? Two years after the initial execution?

No, it was a minor point among many other points.

Your whole premise is based on Apple innovating and bring things first to market. No, it was not first online support and email service from a computer company.

No, let me tell you what my premise was/is. It's based on Apple innovating and bringing things to market. Many times they weren't the first - but they put things together in a way that were innovative, or more affordable, or easier to use and successful. Like the iPod. Like the Mac. No regular consumer was ever going to buy an Alto workstation. Others did MP3 players before Apple, but Apple did it better. Others did tablets before the iPad but none really took off.

To spell this out for you:
1. There was already a service out that catered to the C64.
2. Apple contracted the company that made the C64 version, and it was emulated. That is the opposite of innovate, and also not first to market.
3. The same company that created the two above, made a third for the PC and released it the same year as AppleLink PE.
4. The remaining non-Apple services went on to become a hugely successful pre-Internet service, while AppleLink quietly went away.

No, you have the timeline wrong. AppleLink came first in early 1985. Apple developed this using a contractor. It had nothing to do with C64, OK? It was only after 1-2 years that Apple went to good ol' Steve Case of Quantum to do a follow-on based on their C64 stuff but with a lot of Apple input and design help. This new thing was called AppleLink PE and it is this product that AOL was based upon. Commodore deserves credit for thinkig along the same lines as Apple.

Seriously? Atari, PET, C64, Amstrad... None are 8.3 and could use special characters.

OK. I'll withdraw this. C64 was 16 chars now that I remember. So, I will withdraw this and the SIMMS thing I mentioned before. I'll concede these two points.

No, I did say "Appletalk as their networking protocol". Further, Appletalk never ran over Token Ring or Ethernet physical layers without a bridge. Again, the bridge to allow you to link to other networks came years later.

Yes, but then you compared it to cables/datalink layers like Ethernet and Token ring. Furthermore you're absolutely incorrect that AppleTalk never ran over Token Ring or Ethernet without a bridge. Just plain wrong. In fact, it was called EtherTalk and TokenTalk and many large companies and business ran this (to hook up their DTP groups to the corporate network for example). You could easily create a Ethernet network of Mac II computers speaking AppleTalk protocols with Ethernet cards. Heck, Apple even sold LaserWrites with Ethernet connectors to handle AppleTalk protocols. No bridges were needed.

None of what is stated above is "innovation", or "first to market", with the exception of Appletalk printers. But I think the explanation of networking makes AppleTalk networking weak.

Yeah, well your explanation is wrong and full of errors, so what can I say?

I stand by my statement.

OK, you do that. At least I can admit if I made an error. We'll see what you do.

-Jim

Last edited:
Here's a timely video...

http://vimeo.com/25380454

Everything is a Remix #3

also on YouTube

Talks about how Apple took initial ideas from Xerox, modified them, invented new stuff and combined them to form the Lisa and Mac.

Very well done. It shows how many of the user interface elements were really kludgey on the Alto and Star.

Essentially, this is what I was saying above...

...It's based on Apple innovating and bringing things to market. Many times they weren't the first - but they put things together in a way that were innovative, or more affordable, or easier to use and successful...

-Jim

Last edited:
Caustic, you're mistaken on the AppleTalk over Ethernet. EtherTalk works great with no bridges. You're definitely thinking about LocalTalk with those criticisms. LocalTalk was a super low-cost networking option that used the high speed serial ports. If you had a LocalTalk network and wanted it to connect to your Ethernet network, you used a bridge. But if you used Ethertalk from the get go, no bridge was needed--TCP/IP, EtherTalk, and AppleTalk over IP could all coexist on the same network. It (LocalTalk and the other flavors of AppleTalk) was completely plug and play and my friends and I used it and spent many hours having LAN parties several years before it was popular in the much larger PC gaming market. You plugged in two computers together and they could talk to each other. Period. No IP addresses, no hubs or switches. Just some telephone cord. Bungie made some pretty awesome multiplayer Mac games back then.

Last edited:
Caustic, you're mistaken on the AppleTalk over Ethernet. EtherTalk works great with no bridges. You're definitely thinking about LocalTalk with those criticisms. LocalTalk was a super low-cost networking option that used the high speed serial ports. If you had a LocalTalk network and wanted it to connect to your Ethernet network, you used a bridge. But if you used Ethertalk from the get go, no bridge was needed--TCP/IP, EtherTalk, and AppleTalk over IP could all coexist on the same network. It (LocalTalk and the other flavors of AppleTalk) was completely plug and play and my friends and I used it and spent many hours having LAN parties several years before it was popular in the much larger PC gaming market. You plugged in two computers together and they could talk to each other. Period. No IP addresses, no hubs or switches. Just some telephone cord. Bungie made some pretty awesome multiplayer Mac games back then.

I never denied that AppleTalk runs over ethernet. Every current protocol now runs over ethernet. But the issue with Jimbo is always about 1st to market and first to innovate. I was merely pointing out that at the time of release in the 80s, networking protocols were highly coupled with the topology and architecture they used (which includes cabling).

So what does that mean? It means that while corporate had moved to ethernet and token ring in the early 80s, Apple did not have a networking device. In 85, Apple introduced AppleTalk over serial and still couldn't communicate with corporate networks. Finally, in the late 80s, 3rd party bridges were released so that AppleTalk could be used over corporate networks. Then in 88 or so, you start seeing EtherTalk etc. show up. This is years after corporate had been networking, and years after the initial implementation of AppleTalk. While everyone else was using 10base-5 and then 10base-2, Apple was still messing around with serial connections to network. :rolleyes: AppleTalk was never taken seriously in a networking environment except for when it came to communicating with other Apple devices.

Apple fanboys try to make it sound as if Apple invented everything, and was first to market with everything. Jimbo has put "TCP/IP Support built into OS" in his original post as an Apple computing innovation. Really? You don't think that is a stretch? The fact is the growth of the computer industry came from multiple sources all contributing to the industry we see today.

Last edited:
I never denied that AppleTalk runs over ethernet. Every current protocol now runs over ethernet. But the issue with Jimbo is always about 1st to market and first to innovate. I was merely pointing out that at the time of release in the 80s, networking protocols were highly coupled with the topology and architecture they used (which includes cabling).

So what does that mean? It means that while corporate had moved to ethernet and token ring in the early 80s, Apple did not have a networking device. In 85, Apple introduced AppleTalk over serial and still couldn't communicate with corporate networks. Finally, in the late 80s, 3rd party bridges were released so that AppleTalk could be used over corporate networks. Then in 88 or so, you start seeing EtherTalk etc. show up. This is years after corporate had been networking, and years after the initial implementation of AppleTalk. While everyone else was using 10base-5 and then 10base-2, Apple was still messing around with serial connections to network. :rolleyes: AppleTalk was never taken seriously in a networking environment except for when it came to communicating with other Apple devices.

Apple fanboys try to make it sound as if Apple invented everything, and was first to market with everything. Jimbo has put "TCP/IP Support built into OS" in his original post as an Apple computing innovation. Really? You don't think that is a stretch? The fact is the growth of the computer industry came from multiple sources all contributing to the industry we see today.

I was disagreeing with your statement here (emphasis mine):

Also, when you said this:
Just a note, prior to OSX, the Mac file system was notoriously the worst file system of any PC. It was prone to frequent corruption and loss of data. Apple tried to update it multiple times but could not due to legacy issues. They finally pulled it off by completely tossing their original OS for the Next Computer OS.

MacOS X right now uses "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" as it's file system. This is a renamed version of HFS Plus (Hierarchical File System), a gussied up version of the same file system used in pre-OSX Macs. They added UTF-8 support for filenames, support for much larger disks, smaller allocation blocks, hard links, journaling for resistance against corruption and so on. It's pretty good in daily use as far as I can tell, and it was pretty good compared to FAT in the 90s as well. It is NOT the Unix file system like NextStep, which was an option to use in the early days of OS X, but was fraught with compatibility issues with older software due to its case sensitivity.

Last edited:
I was disagreeing with your statement here (emphasis mine):

It's obvious Caustic is trying to rewrite what he said and failing poorly.

Even in his latest reply...

So what does that mean? It means that while corporate had moved to ethernet and token ring in the early 80s, Apple did not have a networking device. In 85, Apple introduced AppleTalk over serial and still couldn't communicate with corporate networks. Finally, in the late 80s, 3rd party bridges were released so that AppleTalk could be used over corporate networks. Then in 88 or so, you start seeing EtherTalk etc. show up. This is years after corporate had been networking, and years after the initial implementation of AppleTalk. While everyone else was using 10base-5 and then 10base-2, Apple was still messing around with serial connections to network. AppleTalk was never taken seriously in a networking environment except for when it came to communicating with other Apple devices.

He obviously did some online checking and is trying to salvage his argument but he is still grasping at straws.

He wrote that in the early 80s when corporate had moved to Ethernet and Token Ring, that Apple did not have a networking device. LOL!!! The Macintosh didn't even come out until 1984.

LocalTalk Macs and LaserWriters connected to many corporate networks via routers (and not bridges - I doubt Caustic knows the technical difference) such as the Kinetics FastPath in 1985 (not the late 80s as Caustic claims). So once again Caustic has NO idea what he's talking about. I personally installed many such networks in major corporations (like Union Carbide, DuPont, Merck, JP Morgan bank, RCA, GE).

Just as soon as Macs shipped with Ethernet and Token Ring capabilities (i.e. NuBus card slots for the Macintosh II) then they spoke AppleTalk over Ethernet and Token Ring respectively. Caustic tries to make it sound like it was SO much later on. LOL! This all happened in mid-1987.

It's just untrue that Apple was messing around with serial communications when everyone else was using Ethernet and Token ring. Apple embraced both technogies quickly and there were many vendors of EtherTalk (10-Base 2 and 10-Base 5) and TokenTalk cards. There were even FDDI cards!

Finally, his last statement just shows how unfamiliar Caustic is with the actual facts. Obviously, he's just guessing and trying to come off as being knowledgeble.

In fact, Apple Macs, LaserWrites and AppleTalk were integrated with other systems quite often in corporate settings around the world. He's obviously unaware that Apple and Digital Equipment Corp (DEC) had a huge alliance where Macs and DEC VAX computers interoperated over AppleTalk and DECnet. Macintosh was able to speak DECnet and VAX computers had the AppleTalk protocol stack (AppleTalk for VMS).

So, Macintosh users (either on LocalTalk routed to Ethernet, or direct Ethernet connections) were able to use and share VAX-based services. The VAX could be made to look like a big AppleShare file server and it could also perform print spooling to networked LaserWriters. There were several client-server applications that used this AppleTalk for VMS environment as well.

Macs were also widely used as smart terminals on the VAX network as well as many AS/400 networks. And there was a nice implementation of a X-Windows server that ran on Macs as well.

This was all a big deal in the late 80s and 90s. As Macs took off in Desktop Publishing, Scientific areas, Chemical companies, Drug companies there were thousands of companies around the world that had such cross-platform networks. I know this because I consulted with many of these companies back then and designed and installed these networks. I even wrote a trade paperback book on the topic.

Caustic - just stop trying so hard to prove yourself right. You don't know what you're talking about in this instance.

Respectfully,
Jim

I don't know the technical difference? What do you guys think EtherTalk is? EtherTalk is a bridge. :rolleyes:

Ah VAXen... those were the days.

102654154_adbcd6fc90.jpg

Oh man, my only experience with VAX and VMS was in school, Fortran class. The shell was so weird, and the text editor was also weird. We could see the VAX machine sitting behind a glass wall, and I think it had an incandescent indicator light on it. That to me meant "ancient."

I don't know the technical difference? What do you guys think EtherTalk is? EtherTalk is a bridge. :rolleyes:

If you believe that then I have another bridge I'd like to sell you. EtherTalk is the physical implementation of AppleTalk protocols on Ethernet cabling. The Ethernet type codes were 809B and 80F3. And from this, one should be able to deduce what TokenTalk was.

You're wrong again. A network bridge is something else entirely. But hey, I don't mind explaining this. I really do love to teach. Next lesson...the difference between a....

Repeater
Bridge
Router
Gateway

-Jim

Last edited:
Back