• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MacGyver in da house...instant shade for NSX anytime anywhere...

I originally got the idea for this thing after seeing our local dent guy pull out this handy tool for blocking the sun while he worked....

Sometimes carrying a 12' canopy isn't practical or in the NSX, it just doesn't fit! However I love to drive with my TARGA removed but just hate being baked by the sun at car meets, etc. Using the sun-visor doesn't really help since the sun can enter through the targo.

I created this device with some parts from a local hardware store and it provides instant shade anytime. I incorporated a swivel base so it can be angled and the umbrella pops out in 5 seconds so it can still be used for rain if needed. Obviously this is not for use while driving but just to provide some much needed shade in the summer.

I know this is not as crazy as Jack's creations but this is a practical useful thingy...hehe :biggrin:

Close-up:

IMG_6298.jpg

Open for action:

IMG_6298.jpg

That looks great!..you might want to to put a Hello Kitty sticker on the gas cap, a stuffed animal hanging on the rear tow hook and rear view mirror to finish off the look.

Last edited:
I originally got the idea for this thing after seeing our local dent guy pull out this handy tool for blocking the sun while he worked....
I know this is not as crazy as Jack's creations but this is a practical useful thingy...hehe :biggrin:

Close-up:

IMG_6298.jpg

Ya! My roof mounted unit can be used while driving at any speed, providing constant useful shade! :biggrin:

Jack

The gas mileage really suffers though! :smile:

If you post a group buy , I'll consider it.

LOL I never intended to sell this - just something for me since I'm one of those guys who loves driving with the TARGA left at home....I know some of you never take it off so this wouldn't be as useful.

And this was only meant as a stationary device of course :biggrin:

wow, that's just- dunno what to even say!

Sometimes carrying a 12' canopy isn't practical or in the NSX, it just doesn't fit! However I love to drive with my TARGA removed but just hate being baked by the sun at car meets, etc. Using the sun-visor doesn't really help since the sun can enter through the targo.
... just something for me since I'm one of those guys who loves driving with the TARGA left at home...

And this was only meant as a stationary device of course :biggrin:
You should just get one of these & call it a day...

Dali Racing: Hrant T-Top folding cabrella & product info'

Or there's also this (keep the interior cool/dry while you're nearby)...

Dali Racing: Hrant Custom Car Cover - F16 version

Reference: http://www.khrantenterprises.com/index.php

Last edited:
^thanks for the links but........

I already have a the canopy which is a great little item when I park at my office and need some shade/dust protection :biggrin:

The other T-top cover however is really not useful for me. When I sit in my car at meets, I want to be cool with some air circulation in the "shade". I do not want myself totally covered up with no air flow. The umbrella allows some shade but keeps air flowing nicely so you are not boxed in. If I wanted to be sealed in the car, I'd just close my windows and put the targa on.

Granted I rarely if ever drive my car more than once a month but this little gadget makes car meets a lot more bearable in the summer months as I tan way too easily :wink:

Back