• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Maintenance costs and reliability

Your doom and gloom is a broken record. Please take it somewhere where people give a shit. By the way, car in question is a 2017 with around 11,000 miles. As noted he has had some problems with the electronics of the car for a period of time.

While the resident naysayers get off on any problems or issues with this car-I guess it makes them feel good or something, there is a solution waiting to happen. I suspect that the Techs will experiment and eventually come up with a fix. This is not rocket science as DocL and Bram would have you think.

Keep in mind this is a limited edition Super Car with a total number of approximately 3000 in the world. There are bound to be issues that come up. I have faith that this problem will be resolved. Other then this particular problem, I doubt there have been a lot of unresolved issues with this car?

As for the comments that this car is too technically complex and will be impossible to repair in the future. Get a life, you guys are silly and naive. There are many cars that would leave a question mark look on your local Pep Boys mechanic. Try any Prius, or any of the Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, PHEVs currently in the marketplace now.

Last edited:
Your doom and gloom is a broken record. Please take it somewhere where people give a shit. By the way, car in question is a 2017 with around 11,000 miles. As noted he has had some problems with the electronics of the car for a period of time.

Not sure I see any doom or gloom in this thread, but instead a good discussion about potential long-term maintenance challenges for the NC1.

Most of you guys who buy the maximum extended warranty should be good until the Gen 3. After it expires, however, I share the concern about how we keep these cars on the road long term. It may come down to Acura using "regional" hubs for all NC1 work, so all your local dealer can do is flatbed it to a hub. I guess we'll see.

Wow....I'm not sure when stating an Opinion on a This Site open oneself to an attract....drmanny3 want's to be the Poster Boy for the NC1.....knock yourself out.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, regardless if you agree with it or not.

Bram

indeed arguing against another's pov beyond the first time is folly at best...I agree also with Honcho. Once the first round of trained techs age out or leave the field(most smaller dealers only have 1) Either the school will have to reopen or there will be "hubs"

Wow....I'm not sure when stating an Opinion on a This Site open oneself to an attract....drmanny3 want's to be the Poster Boy for the NC1.....knock yourself out.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, regardless if you agree with it or not.

Bram

Actually, if you don't conform to the mob mentality that the NC1 is the best supercar on the face of the planet, you will mocked, called names, and told to get a life. Obviously I don't care because I'm still around, and I poke my nose into conversations about all things NSX because I have experience with the NA1/NC1. Not many of us populate the planet who have owned both generations. And wether good or bad, my experiences are a fact. Period.

As someone who continues occasionally considering adding an NC1 at some point, I'm very interested in the prospects of user-serviceability and what problems one might encounter that are real show-stoppers. It was really interesting talking to Shad at NSXPO this year considering he's probably one of the first independents to pull the motor out of an NC1 and tear it down with the intention of putting it back together. The "you had to be there" summary was that they are atrocious to work on, but from a maintenance standpoint *shouldn't* need the same kind of regular semi-invasive maintenance we have with the 1st gen (timing chain vs belt, not as many hoses, etc). Engineers did not consider maintenance on some systems etc. Really though, it's the unknowns that concern. I'd feel way better if Acura was able to come back and point some improper ritual that let to an irreconcilable fault with the TMU or something like that. Electric motors can be rebuilt, control units can be 'ctrl/alt/deleted', but the problem is when you tell me that a team of engineers can't figure it out....please, they aren't trying hard enough. If I could afford it, I'm sure a "cursed NSX" YouTube series would probably get some traction, right? ��

As someone who continues occasionally considering adding an NC1 at some point, I'm very interested in the prospects of user-serviceability and what problems one might encounter that are real show-stoppers. It was really interesting talking to Shad at NSXPO this year considering he's probably one of the first independents to pull the motor out of an NC1 and tear it down with the intention of putting it back together. The "you had to be there" summary was that they are atrocious to work on, but from a maintenance standpoint *shouldn't* need the same kind of regular semi-invasive maintenance we have with the 1st gen (timing chain vs belt, not as many hoses, etc). Engineers did not consider maintenance on some systems etc. Really though, it's the unknowns that concern. I'd feel way better if Acura was able to come back and point some improper ritual that let to an irreconcilable fault with the TMU or something like that. Electric motors can be rebuilt, control units can be 'ctrl/alt/deleted', but the problem is when you tell me that a team of engineers can't figure it out....please, they aren't trying hard enough. If I could afford it, I'm sure a "cursed NSX" YouTube series would probably get some traction, right? ��

I think the real long term issue is when a major SH-AWD component like the TMU fails.. like really fails...as in it's worn out and breaks from long-term usage and/or reaches the end of its design life. I would expect Acura's response would be "replace TMU". It's like when the MR9A automatic transmission grenades in the NA1- Acura just says "replace transmission" even though there is a full rebuild process laid out in the workshop manual. Even when they could replace the unit, the transmission was not cheap. I wonder what the TMU will cost when the time comes? And will Acura keep enough on the shelf at the PMC to keep the car going 20 years from now?

Lol.. if ICE breaks I will call in the team from Cosworth.......I know one thing easy to replace............................Diffuuussssssaaaaaaaaa

Lol.. if ICE breaks I will call in the team from Cosworth.......I know one thing easy to replace............................Diffuuussssssaaaaaaaaa

Yeeessss!

Easy, but not cheap. The carbon front lip on the GT-R was $10,000- talk about a pucker factor every time I went over a speed bump or had to drive up an incline...

That's what I have tamoske on speed dial for.....:biggrin:

I think the real long term issue is when a major SH-AWD component like the TMU fails.. like really fails...as in it's worn out and breaks from long-term usage and/or reaches the end of its design life. I would expect Acura's response would be "replace TMU". It's like when the MR9A automatic transmission grenades in the NA1- Acura just says "replace transmission" even though there is a full rebuild process laid out in the workshop manual. Even when they could replace the unit, the transmission was not cheap. I wonder what the TMU will cost when the time comes? And will Acura keep enough on the shelf at the PMC to keep the car going 20 years from now?

Forget the TMU. Just to replace the oil pump cost $35k. The turbos have to be destroyed as part of the service. I know because that is what happened to the other NC1 owned by a older doctor in my town. His car was also deemed a Lemon by the same arbitration panel that heard my case. Will another NC1 have a oil pump failure? Maybe and maybe not. But are owners going to be ready to shell out tens of thousands of dollars when they "believe" that the car is a Honda and will never breakdown. The motor is designed with very narrow tolerances and that is why it has timing chains that last years longer than a belt. But a good mechanic can easily change the TB on a Gen1. I know, because mine was changed twice by an independent tech who used to work at Acura. How many techs currently working on the NC1 at a dealership will have the means to do a major repair if they go out on their own. I'd be willing to bet less than 1%. Maybe SOS will be the only qualified indie shop, and good for them. They put in the R&D on the Gen1 and I know they are invested in the NC1.

These are all risks that anyone who owns an NC1 should consider. I don't think Acura has the support system in place looking forward 20 years. Someone, somewhere, will have a really nice brick in their garage. Remember that picture I posted with all that crap on my NC1? It got a lot of attention and people thought I was insane. I was driven to insanity having a $205k car being paid for and not being able to be driven. I could have risked it, but the fact that I knew the possible consequence of being injured would have put all the liability on me. Especially when I was told by two hired attorneys not to drive the car. And my wife didn't want me driving the car either.

So in lawyer talk, govern yourself accordingly.

-Cheers.

Last edited:
Forget the TMU. Just to replace the oil pump cost $35k. The turbos have to be destroyed as part of the service. I know because that is what happened to the other NC1 owned by a older doctor in my town. His car was also deemed a Lemon by the same arbitration panel that heard my case. Will another NC1 have a oil pump failure? Maybe and maybe not. But are owners going to be ready to shell out tens of thousands of dollars when they "believe" that the car is a Honda and will never breakdown. The motor is designed with very narrow tolerances and that is why it has timing chains that last years longer than a belt. But a good mechanic can easily change the TB on a Gen1. I know, because mine was changed twice by an independent tech who used to work at Acura. How many techs currently working on the NC1 at a dealership will have the means to do a major repair if they go out on their own. I'd be willing to bet less than 1%. Maybe SOS will be the only qualified indie shop, and good for them. They put in the R&D on the Gen1 and I know they are invested in the NC1.

These are all risks that anyone who owns an NC1 should consider. I don't think Acura has the support system in place looking forward 20 years. Someone, somewhere, will have a really nice brick in their garage. Remember that picture I posted with all that crap on my NC1? It got a lot of attention and people thought I was insane. I was driven to insanity having a $205k car being paid for and not being able to be driven. I could have risked it, but the fact that I knew the possible consequence of being injured would have put all the liability on me. Especially when I was told by two hired attorneys not to drive the car. And my wife didn't want me driving the car either.

So in lawyer talk, govern yourself accordingly.

-Cheers.
If you had more life insurance, your wife may have encouraged you to drive the car!!!!

I was driven to insanity having a $205k car being paid for and not being able to be driven.

-Cheers.

This is exactly how I feel. Sticker on my car was $206,500 and I can't drive it four days without it failing and the response I get from Acura/Honda is that they don't know what the problem is and do no know how to fix it. Initially they said they could not reproduce the problems so I've now brought it to them TWICE with the problem occurring so they could see it. It has now been at the dealer for yet another week and I have yet to get so much as a call as to what is going on. I've called Acura customer service and no one has called back. I called the dealer and was told they would call me back yesterday. They didn't. I've purchased a $200k car and I'm again driving an RDX loaner. This one is nicely equipped with someone else's garage door opener and candy wrappers and used dental floss strewn across the seats and floor. This is the 3rd NSX I've owned, you can see how long I've been a member here, and I can remember docjohn, a radiologist if I recall, taking me for laps around Infineon raceway. My first two cars a '96 and then '97, were nothing like this, nor was the customer service. I have zero faith in the car any longer and even less in Honda/Acura's ability to repair it, but now I'm stuck. I can't sell a broken car and lie to someone to unload it. I cannot trade it in for the same reason. I can only hope they find a way to fix it but I am not optimistic about that. I've about reached my limit and if not resolved soon, will be seeking legal counsel to help resolve this.

Last edited:
Good memory! This is where the regional zone rep needs to get your car back to pmc...Having a undiagnosed electronic issue in a complex drivetrain blows...

Back