• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Maintenance Question from Perspective owner

R13

Experienced Member
Tech Expert
I've been considering an NSX for a year or two now as a replacement for my well liked, but aging MR2 Turbo. My question regards maintenace. Replacing any engine component on the MR2 is a pain in the arse, which is not atypical of mid engined cars, but I'm handy with a wrench, and can do pretty much anything that doesn't require a lift. Hence my question: Does changing the timing belt/chain on an NSX require removal of the engine, and if so, can the engine be lifted out the top, or must it be dropped? Engine-out maintenace can get steep in cost, and the ability to do major service myself will be a check in the plus column toward getting an NSX.

R13 said:
I've been considering an NSX for a year or two now as a replacement for my well liked, but aging MR2 Turbo.

Ok.

R13 said:
My question regards maintenace. Replacing any engine component on the MR2 is a pain in the arse, which is not atypical of mid engined cars, but I'm handy with a wrench, and can do pretty much anything that doesn't require a lift.

Cool.

R13 said:
Hence my question: Does changing the timing belt/chain on an NSX require removal of the engine,

No.

R13 said:
can the engine be lifted out the top, or must it be dropped?

Dropped.

R13 said:
Engine-out maintenace can get steep in cost, and the ability to do major service myself will be a check in the plus column toward getting an NSX.

Check.

Basic servicing is average I think. The parts for maintenance such as t-belt are a bit expensive in my opinion. Its only the prices of the car parts that forbid me from getting an F355 (for now).

R13 said:
Does changing the timing belt/chain on an NSX require removal of the engine, and if so, can the engine be lifted out the top, or must it be dropped? Engine-out maintenace can get steep in cost, and the ability to do major service myself will be a check in the plus column toward getting an NSX.
Just keep in mind that this service is only done once every 90K miles or 6 years on the '91-96 NSX, and 105K miles or 7 years on the '97-05 (and costs $1200-1400 when you're paying someone else to do it)...

I can't really answer your questions, but I'm sure there's a ton of people on this board that can give perspective to a prospective owner :biggrin:

Sorry, just had to say it! :biggrin:

I appreciate the input. I did note that the service needs ony be performed once in a great while, but I tend to keep cars that I like for quite some time, and and I refuse to let good engineering go to waste, so the car would be used, probably a good deal, and likely on a track. Knowing I can do that sort of maintenance with my lift-less garage is reassuring.

Back