• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

March NSX Road Trip to the Outer Banks

The Raleigh Area NSX owners are planning a weekend road trip to the NC Outer Banks for the last weekend in March. So far we have about 6 owners planning to make the trip. Wondering if any other southeastern owners might be interested in joining us? See the details about the 3 day (2 night) trip. The route and details for the trip have been planned by Tom F. of Lumberton.

NSX Weekend Road Trip - NC Outer Banks

WHO: NSX Owners and guests. Raleigh, NC Area NSX Sponsored.

WHAT: Road Trip

WHEN: March 26-28.

WHERE: NC Outer Banks. Kill Devil Hills, Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke Island.

Drivers would arrive from various parts of the state, possibly Virginia and South Carolina. Meeting place is in Rocky Mount NC off of I-95 and RDU drivers come in on Hwy 64.

Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) is 1:30PM on FRIDAY, March 26th.

Estimated Time of Departure (ETD) is as soon as everyone arrives.

The trip from Rocky Mount to Kill Devil Hills is 150 miles. Travel time should be under 3 hours.

Upon arrival in Kill Devil Hills we'll proceed to the hotel and check in. Hotels in the area this time of year average in the $60.00 range. Hotel yet to be determined.

Dinner at a seafood place called Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar. It was locally recommended for the best oysters http://www.awfularthursobx.com/index.html

Next visit is the Wright Brothers National Memorial Park. (Park opens at 9AM) Cost is $4.00 per person. http://www.nps.gov/wrbr/index.htm

This is our first group photo op with the NSX. In this photo, at the top of the hill is the Memorial. We can drive on a paved road at the base of the hill. Hopefully there will be an opportunity to park the cars and have the Memorial in the background.

When we're finished here, we load up and head south towards Cape Hatteras. Between Kitty Hawk and Hatteras, we'd stop for lunch, then on to the Hatteras Light House. Photo op with the NSXs and the lighthouse.

After the Lighthouse stop we drive about 20 miles to the Ferry. Here its first come first served and the trip is free. The ferry runs between Hatteras and Ocracoke Island. The ferry ride is about 40 minutes. Then we get off the ferry and have about a 30 mile trip to the town area.

Captain's Landing for lodging. Located on the cove where Black Beard anchored his ships. http://www.thecaptainslanding.com/ The rates are $110.00 per night, Nov - March. These are suites with a kitchen, separate living room and bedroom. Very nice. Dinner would be at a restaurant on the island, which is about 1.5 miles from the hotel.

The next morning we get up and move to the Ferry. This trip has to be reserved and I recommend the 2+15 hour Cedar Island trip. Ocracoke - Cedar Island Ferry Cross to Cedar Island (2hr 15min; 8 daily each way in summer, 4 in winter; Toll is $15.00 per car. Motorists should reserve space, particularly in summer. Call 1-800-BY FERRY (1-800-293-3779) for reservations or to verify schedules. http://www.ncdot.org/download/transit/ferry/ferryschedule.pdf

From this point forward, its a trip to Beaufort/Morehead City area for lunch and then home to our destinations.

The round trip mileage is 575 miles. That includes the two ferry trips, so the acutal mileage will be in the 525 vacinity.

I spoke with the Captains Landing. Their hotel is pretty open for March. There are other places to stay, but securing lodging on the island is the most important priority. Second is the ferry reservation out of Ocracoke.

Last edited:
COUNT ME IN!

This looks like an awesome trip and I am looking forward to seeing everyone. Since I'm am pretty much out east already ... I'll end up meeting you guys in Plymouth or something.

As soon as things are concrete, please let me know and I'll book all that is needed.

This is going to be a great time.

Also my wife will be coming along for weekend in case some of your better halfs are pondering coming or not.

My only concern, is the slope at which we load ontp the ferries? As low as my car is ... I might have to pack 2x4's and need your help to get on and off the ferries!

Last edited:
COUNT ME IN!

This looks like an awesome trip and I am looking forward to seeing everyone. Since I'm am pretty much out east already ... I'll end up meeting you guys in Plymouth or something.

As soon as things are concrete, please let me know and I'll book all that is needed.

This is going to be a great time.

Also my wife will be coming along for weekend in case some of your better halfs are pondering coming or not.

My only concern, is the slope at which we load ontp the ferries? As low as my car is ... I might have to pack 2x4's and need your help to get on and off the ferries!

My concern also as I have a 4 1/2 inch clearance. I did some research and here is what I forwarded to John. Also, my wife Angie is coming, not just a guys weekend.. Need my Navigator!

John,

Called NC DOT and spoke with a lady and asked the question about car
clearance getting on/off the ferry. She told me the tide is a factor.
I didn't think about that. From memory, I can not remember an issue,
as Angie and I both wanted to take this trip in the NSX. I've loaded
three photos for the NC Ferry ramps.

The Hat_Oca photo shows the paved incline. No problem.

The close up shot of the SUV and the guy standing, again shows the on
ramp. No problem.

The third photo is the movable ramp (bridge) which connects the paved
ramp to the ferry.

Note: Didnt include photos here. Google Image, type in Ocracoke Hatteras NC Ferry and you'll find some of these photos.

So the tide will determine the ferry height in relation to the paved
ramp. The bridge will be adjusted to connect the two. Any issue will
be unknown until we get there. You can see there is about a 2 car
width area to maneuver on to the ferry.

When I had my car lowered, I had a front lip which gave me about a 3
inch clearance. When going into my driveway, if I went straight into
it, the lip would hit the curb. When I took it at an angle to get one
of the front tires going up the incline, the lip would not hit. The
driver is going to have to use that option if needed.

That is about the best I can do without actually taking my car on and
off. Everyone should know, it could be an issue and the tide factors
into the incline.

Cape Hatteras Tide table for March 26th (Friday).
Low 11AM. High 5:05PM.

This ferry is first come first serve, no reservation required. We
would finish Kitty Hawk around1230 to 1PM, travel 75 miles to the
ferry and stop for lunch somewhere in between. My guess is about 4pm
arriving on the ferry. So take anywhere from 1 - 2 hours arriving
before high tide. The trip is 30 minutes.

Ocracoke Island Tide table for March 28th (Sunday)
High 6:52AM. Low 1:32PM. We leave at 1030 so that's in the middle.

The trip from Ocracoke to Cedar Island is 2+15 minutes. So we will be close to low tide upon reaching Ocracoke.

I know with all of us on site, we'll get on and off without much difficulty.

Tom Feilner
Lumberton NC

My concern also as I have a 4 1/2 inch clearance. I did some research and here is what I forwarded to John. Also, my wife Angie is coming, not just a guys weekend.. Need my Navigator!

I know with all of us on site, we'll get on and off without much difficulty.

Tom Feilner
Lumberton NC

Hey Tom!

Thanks for all the research on this and I am looking forward to this trip. My car is even lower then yours so I have a little more of a concern to say the least. But if we hit the times like you mentioned (between low and high tide) I think we should be fine.

I am going to have 2 - 2.5 ft 2x4's in my trunk just in case. With everyone there, I am sure we will help each other out if there are problems.

When John or yourself have confirmed that this trip is a go, please let me know and I will make all the reservations for my wife and I that are needed.

Sounds like fun. Being a new to the NSX, I would like to meet other NSX owners. It's been almost two months with the NSX and still hadn't had to put gas in it, the weather hasn't been that good and I'll been doing a little work to it.

Sounds like fun. Being a new to the NSX, I would like to meet other NSX owners. It's been almost two months with the NSX and still hadn't had to put gas in it, the weather hasn't been that good and I'll been doing a little work to it.

Hello 93turbonc,

Welcome to the Raleigh area NSX community. I am the unofficial, self appointed keeper of the Raleigh area NSX owners list. I also have been the default organizer of local area NSX events. I try to keep all the area owners advised of local car shows and other related events.

Send me a PM with your name, e-mail and a phone number and I'll add you to me NC NSX owner roster.

You've got a rather rare color NSX by the way!!!

I'm surprised you haven't seen the car, it's been in the triangle for the last 5 years. I purchased it from a local owner who got it from an NJ dealer several years ago.

Hey Tom!

Thanks for all the research on this and I am looking forward to this trip. My car is even lower then yours so I have a little more of a concern to say the least. But if we hit the times like you mentioned (between low and high tide) I think we should be fine.

I am going to have 2 - 2.5 ft 2x4's in my trunk just in case. With everyone there, I am sure we will help each other out if there are problems.

When John or yourself have confirmed that this trip is a go, please let me know and I will make all the reservations for my wife and I that are needed.

I am thinking that Darrin might need some help trying to get his car on. but remember if you can back on all will make it no problem. I am also trying to find a way to koin in on the fun.... Petra has even said she would like to go. I am guessing it is because it is not on the bike...haha. So we will see how it goes, and I will keep you all posted.

Steve

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

Hope you can make it! I think I speak for all NSX owners attending this event that we would all feel much more confident during this road trip with you along.

So far it is looking like about 6 for sure and 2 maybes. Additionally, Todd (M.D.) in Williamston is planning on joining us for a portion of the trip. (He's got a new baby and a medical practice).

Look for more details shortly with hotels to confirm your reservations and a lock down on the ferry reservation.

Looking forward to a great road trip!

It would be great if Steve and Petra could join the tour and thanks for the advice for boarding the ferry in reverse! I did raise my car 1/2" with the Tein coilovers I installed which has helped a lot around town etc. So if we hit at the right times, it should not be an issue.

John, I am looking forward to the details and when posted I wll confim all my resevations etc. Should be a fun trip down the outter banks. I confirmed with my wife Elizabeth if she was still going, and she said for sure!

As mentioned before, since you all will be coming down 64, I will meet you in Plymouth, NC. There is a restraunt there called "Little Mans" famouns for the "fries in a bag". It will be on the left side of the road. Just makes more sense for me to drive straight north then to meet you all in Raleigh.

March 26, 2010,
201 North Virginia Dare Trail
Kill Devil Hills, NC US 27948

Days Inn Oceanfront Wright Brothers

I have reserved 8 rooms at the Days Inn Oceanfront Wright Brothers. When calling to get one of these room mention either my last name (FEILNER) or easier, reference ACURA NSX. Call: 252-441-7211 to make reservations. Everyone needs to call by March 12th to receive the discounted rate of $58.65 + tax for the night of March 26th.
This is for a street side room with 2 double beds, microwave/refrigerator, and coffee maker. When making reservations, you will need to supply a credit card and each person will have until 4 pm the date of arrival to cancel without penalty.
If anyone would want to reserve a different room type, they can get 15% off the normal rate of any other room type for the night of 3/26 if they make their reservation by March 12th. There are four oceanfront rooms for $109.00 plus tax. The point of contact I made these reservations with is Tonia.

As a reminder. To make this trip you need to make three reservations.

1. DAYS INN OCEAN FRONT KILL DEVIL HILLS 252-441-7211 NLT 12 MARCH. FOR THE NIGHT OF MARCH 26TH FRIDAY.

2. CAPTAINS LANDING OCRACOKE ISLAND 252-928-1999 FOR THE NIGHT OF MARCH 27TH, SATURDAY.

3. NC DOT FERRY TRIP FROM OCRACOKE TO CEDAR ISLAND. 1030AM MARCH 28TH SUNDAY. https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/ferry/ticketing/Default.aspx

I spoke with Anne at The Captains Landing. She stated there are three rooms left. The cottage is available, however they say they will not reserve it for a single night. However, 2 years ago I did get it for a single night. Think of it as a 2BR house. Living room, kitchen and two BR/BA. Two couples could go in on it and try to get it for a single night.

I do not know if anyone else has made reservations at The Captains Landing. We may want to start a list of those we know that are going and to confirm you've made the three reservations as listed in my post above.

Tom and Angie have made all three reservations.

1. Tom and Angie have made all three reservations.[/QUOTE]

2. John and Terri have made all three reservations.

3. Dave and Leni have made all three reservations.

1. Tom and Angie have made all three reservations.

2. John and Terri have made all three reservations.

3. Dave and Leni have made all three reservations.

4. Darrin and Elizabeth made all three reservations. Confirmed

Last edited:
i would like to meet you guys on the way. maybe i can meet you in williamston and drive to plymouth to meet darrin. he is right about "the little man" . keep me posted on when you think you will get here.

i would like to meet you guys on the way. maybe i can meet you in williamston and drive to plymouth to meet darrin. he is right about "the little man" . keep me posted on when you think you will get here.

It would be great to have onthis trip. As soon as John gets some times posted I will then have a idea on when to leave New Bern to Plymouth.
option 2 is you can meet me in New Bern we can drive to Plymouth. There are some nice back roads.

I am looking forward to having "Little Mans" burger and fries in a bag.

Hope you can make it.

It would be great to have onthis trip. As soon as John gets some times posted I will then have a idea on when to leave New Bern to Plymouth.
option 2 is you can meet me in New Bern we can drive to Plymouth. There are some nice back roads.

I am looking forward to having "Little Mans" burger and fries in a bag.

Hope you can make it.

The planned route was to continue on Hwy 17 to Elizabeth City to Hwy 158 and cross over to OBX at Point Harbor and come in from the north into Kitty Hawk.

New Bern is to far south for the group to meet. We can continue to Plymouth, but from there we'd take Hwy 45/308 north to Midway and join Hwy 17.

From Rocky Mount to Plymouth is 75 minute trip. If we left Rocky Mount at 1:30 that would put us in Plymouth at approximately 2:45. You also mention having lunch. We plan on meeting at Rocky Mount at 1:30 and I'd think everyone would have lunch prior to that.

So that would give you a couple of options.

1. We can meet you in Plymouth.

2. You can meet us in Midway.

The planned route was to continue on Hwy 17 to Elizabeth City to Hwy 158 and cross over to OBX at Point Harbor and come in from the north into Kitty Hawk.

So that would give you a couple of options.

1. We can meet you in Plymouth.

2. You can meet us in Midway.

I was not thinking about eveyone meeting in New Bern. I was "quoting" to Todd (agnsx05 since he is coming from Wilmington) and us possibly having lunch at Little Mans before we meet you all.

However, I also thought you all would be heading straight down 64 into Manteo then head north to Kitty Hawk. (therefor meeting in Plymouth)

If you plan to take 17 to Elizabeth City we could meet you all in Williamston, reducing the detour for all of you.

Either way, let me know. Going the 64 route would get us into Kitty Hawk a little earlier and let us all enjoy the rest of the evening. I am fine with either. As soon as the concrete details are made, we can then plan to meet in either Willinaston or Plymouth.

We are looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone.

Last edited:
Would love to try to make this But I see work getting in the way of this.:mad:

unless you guys just want to make a longer trip around the world. it is definitley shorter and quicker to go 64 to manteo and then kitty hawk. besides, the new 64 is open out of plymouth to columbia and you can run 80 mph at least and the section around alligator river is usually not busy either.
just a suggestion

Hey all!

The trip is about a week away and I was wondering if there had been any details on the route you plan on taking from the Raleigh / Rocky Mount?

1. Take 17 North in Williamston to Elizabeth City then 158 South to Kitty Hawk

2. Take 64 East from Rock Mount straight to Manteo then take 158 North to Kitty Hawk.

Depending on the route you plan, we will meet you either in Williamston or Plymouth.

Looking forward to the ride.

Back