• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Merc just stepped into the hybrid Hypercar game

Cool commercial. It was only a matter of time before Mercedes entered the game given their position. I do not like the stylings at all tho...

I am expecting FERRARI to re-release the Enzo as an Enzo "E".

It is kinda neat to see the manufactures make bad ass hybrids, although I think it is the equivalent of a pissing contest.

Rumor is the new Vette will have an electric assist or at least a model will be available with it.

Now it is BMW's turn (or maybe they will stay away from this game).

Looking forward to seeing the Regera vs this shark finned monster.

I wonder how many MB stores will be set up to maintain this car?

Also would love to know what the engine rebuild at 31,000 miles will be (guessing over $100,000).

Call me crazy, but these new hybrid hypercars make the NSX look better and better (and more and more prescient). Especially at 1/15th the price, and available now. Totally different market segment, of course, but still.

I suspect the engine rebuild will cost about as much as a base NSX. Base NSX will last 5X longer than Project One engine...

9/19/17 - 232 New and Used '17 Acura NSX's for sale on Cars.com

No shortage of inventory......

Last edited:
9/19/17 - 232 New and Used '17 Acura NSX's for sale on Cars.com

No shortage of inventory......

Not arguing that the NSX wasn't a failure (in terms of sales). It was/is. Just saying that the reasons why owners love the car (a taste of next-gen performance hybrid technology but available today for <$1M) continue to be validated....

Not arguing that the NSX wasn't a failure (in terms of sales). It was/is.

(a taste of next-gen performance hybrid technology but available today for <$1M) continue to be validated....

that's the very reason the NSX is a huge failure. it is a taste of next-gen performance hybrid technology, which is getting it's arse handed to it by 1950's dinosaur consuming technology. how's that validation?

the P1, 918, LaFerrari, and now this Merc AMG Project One are astounding, jaw dropping examples of the synergy of technology, grace and speed. the NSX is not...

Call me crazy, but these new hybrid hypercars make the NSX look better and better (and more and more prescient).

i'll (respectfully) call you crazy and disagree. i think what you've just mentioned is a lot like the current state of Honda's last three F1 seasons. it makes them look foolish and out of their league. a whole lot of effort and hype, and little to no pay-off... :redface:

i'll (respectfully) call you crazy and disagree. i think what you've just mentioned is a lot like the current state of Honda's last three F1 seasons. it makes them look foolish and out of their league. a whole lot of effort and hype, and little to no pay-off... :redface:

The NSX is about as fast as a 458. Fast enough for me.

The first taste of the future is ALWAYS a step behind (along one or more dimensions) the "optimized over decades" outgoing technology. Hypercars don't count--- I am talking about comparable price ranges. This applies to many fields of human endeavor, not just cars. Digital cameras, digital music, the first "web version" or your favorite app, cell phones, DVR, WiFi, you name it..... I'm looking toward the future and loving it every day.

Last edited:

The first taste of the future is ALWAYS a step behind (along one or more dimensions) the "optimized over decades" outgoing technology. Hypercars don't count--- I am talking about comparable price ranges. This applies to many fields of human endeavor, not just cars. Digital cameras, digital music, the first "web version" or your favorite app, cell phones, DVR, WiFi, you name it..... I'm looking toward the future and loving it every day.

Pretty obvious to me there are "haters" on this forum like any other forum although I don't know why.

If you don't like the car, say your piece and move on.

I like mine and it is a big leap forward from what I was considering in it's price range, a BMW I8.

The comparison to cars that start at least $100k more is fine, if one is showing what a bargain the NSX is.

IMO a person has some credibility when they own(ed) whatever they are "knocking", and got rid of it and post about it rather then harping.

As for sales, HONDA "promised" the car almost 5 years ago and with some promotion.

So it comes out late, is over $150k (for a sports car hybrid with no trunk space to brag about) and an economy that has cars coming out of its' ears (new ones and used).

A "limited" and funky car market for sure.

IMO, I would like to hear people lament they missed buying one when HONDA introduces the V8 or V10 model with 800-900hp at $450k.

It took Mercedes only 18 months to build Project One. Only 275 will be made and all are taken. Their latest F1 power plant ICE has reached 50% thermal efficiently. Only certain desiel engine have reached 60%.

IMO, I would like to hear people lament they missed buying one when HONDA introduces the V8 or V10 model with 800-900hp at $450k.

i would bet any amount of money that if Honda produced that car, it would outsell this NSX 10 to 1 all day...

unfortunately in terms of competition, the 8-year old 458 isn't really a direct competitor. the 488 is. and that's no comparison at all.

in terms of technological innovation and execution, McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari and now Mercedes, got it absolutely right the first time. Honda missed the mark by a long ways. that's the point. regardless of price point, those manufacturers unquestionably nailed it. one would expect the same from mighty Honda. not a long gestating, much hyped, under-performing also ran. if you don't think that's what the car is, you're kidding yourself.

no one can argue any longer that the NSX isn't a massive failure. it failed to light the world on fire with the implementation of it's tech, and it's failed to sell. much like Honda's foray back into F1, what was the point?

i've said it many times, the NSX is a nice car, and it's reasonably fast. but all the other cars are nicer and faster. and selling better...

It took Mercedes only 18 months to build Project One. Only 275 will be made and all are taken. Their latest F1 power plant ICE has reached 50% thermal efficiently. Only certain desiel engine have reached 60%.

The rolling chassis and power plant was already built and it took years to get right.

It took MB 18 months to marry the F1 to a street legal body.

HONDA redesigned the NSX in record time.

Last edited:
F1 engines (PU) don't idle, nor do they have regular cooling like road cars. Project One is using a 2015 PU and it idles above 1000 RPM. Mercedes started to work on their F1 PU in 2011, well ahead of everyone else, thus their strong results.

lol hypercar....1.6L civic motor........more boost....:tongue:

Back