• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Met a hell of a guy and seen a Unicorn today!

JW

Experienced Member
I live in a small city in western Canada where you don’t often see an NSX in the wild and after parking my car and doing some shopping in what I call a guys store, I paid for my purchase and left the store only to see a couple of salesmen from the nearby VW dealership next door checking out my car. After walking half the distance to my car I seen another NSX in the parking lot with another 2 VW salesmen looking at it. I had a huge grin on my face at this time and went up to meet all the salesmen at my car.

These guys we’re blown away by seeing not one, but two pretty rare cars in one parking lot. I didn’t let on, but so was I. We all talked for 5 to 10 minutes, they thanked me for letting me have a look at my car and they left to go back to their jobs, but I knew that I had to wait around and meet the other owner, so I pulled up beside the other NSX and within a very short time the other owner approached with a smile on his face as big as mine and I finally met in person one of people that has helped a lot of people on this site, diagnose and help repair their own Unicorns.

His handle is Old Guy and it took about 8 years to meet this gentleman and only by accident. I had only seen his car once previous and this was only in passing. We had a very nice conversation and as we sat there talking it was amazing how many people pulled into that parking lot who were checking out these 2 rarities.

After we parted company and we pulled out of the parking behind each other, I still had that shitass grin on my face until a few moments later I realized I hadn’t taken any pics of our cars together. My Bad!

I totally enjoyed my unexpected meeting today with Old Guy today and this goes down as one Great day.
Still smiling!!

Joe

1991 NSX Red/Black

...His handle is Old Guy and it took about 8 years to meet this gentleman and only by accident. I had only seen his car once previous and this was only in passing...

...After we parted company and we pulled out of the parking behind each other, I still had that shitass grin on my face until a few moments later I realized I hadn’t taken any pics of our cars together. My Bad!

Joe

1991 NSX Red/Black

Never heard of him. HaHa, just kidding. Old Guy has become a source of expert knowledge on the NSX, especially when it comes to electrical and electronic issues.

A phrase often repeated on Prime, "If there are no photos, it doesn't exist or didn't happen!"

A few months ago I was picking up a breakfast burrito on the way into work and a guy in his 91 pulls up to the same stand (across the street from the former "SD Body Shop" and we admire each others cars and discuss for a few mins. He bought it fairly recently to supplement his Aston Martin, and comes to get breakfast burritos in his play car that brings him joy. I do have pictures of the 2 cars, but they are on my phone and getting them onto prime is too difficult at the moment.

While he was an old guy, he was not "Old Guy"

I live in a small city in western Canada where you don’t often see an NSX in the wild and after parking my car and doing some shopping in what I call a guys store,

I guess my purchase of replacement pump oil for my pressure washer qualifies as a 'guy thing'; but, I sort of wonder about doing it at a 'guys' store named 'Princess' Auto. The choice of that name always confused me.

It was a pleasure to meet you Joe and shoot some NSX breeze for a few minutes. It was abetted by the fact that the temperature was perfect, the sun was shining with no wind and no rain - a perfect day for wasting gasoline in a perfect vehicle for wasting that gasoline. I took the long way home!

When planets align its a beautiful thing! Great Story.

Last edited:
Nice story! I had a great coincidence heading to NSXPO at Elkart Lake via NYC. We drove up the Hudson river and crossed into Canada at some really small border crossing south of Montreal. About 1 mile into Canada I sat at a T intersection thinking right or left when in the distance a white car approached. A NC1 appeared going fairly quickly past us on the back road. I was so surprised as there wasn't many on the road in 2017. Weird to come all the way from Australia and one nearly ran me over!

Cool story!

And I'm sure the start of a great friendship.

The power of NSX, bringing the world together, two Honda-heads at a time.

There are a few people on Prime who really need to post their photos, perhaps on a separate thread specifically begun for such a purpose. I've read Old Guy's posts with interest over the years, and I have to wonder what he looks like. Yoda from "Star Wars"? The old, wise, bearded man sitting on the mountaintop? I can only imagine! :)

Back