• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Gameplay Footage

I have not played it yet though, and I'm concerned if I come into this w/o any back story, how lost am i going to be? I played MGS3 back when it first came out, but I don't remember much of that storyline.

The "Metal Gear Solid Database" is a free download from the PlayStation Network Store...basically an encyclopedia and timeline for all things related to Solid Snake's story. It even blocks MGS4 spoilers by requiring a save game from completing MGS4 to unlock them.

I decided to start playing from the first Metal Gear Solid so I can properly appreciate the story when I finally get around to playing the fourth.

Grid doesn't have any F1 cars that I know of ( I could be wrong) GT5 does for sure I have one. And you can run races against other F1 cars.

GRID does have an open-wheel racing series.

I just don't get the deal with GRID. Its control is way too twitchy (totally unrealistic driving physics) with gameplay squarely in between being an all-out arcade-style racer and a sim. I far preferred Codemasters' TOCA series to this. The only good things about GRID are its slick visual style / presentation and over-the-top crash physics. Replays can be cool with all the shaky cam action, but everything feels like it is played back at 1.5X speed. The in-car view is almost unusable especially due to the distracting digital movements of the steering hands.

As for damage, GT's creator has said that he hopes to bring damage not just to GT5, but also in the fall update for GT5: Prologue. Damage may not have been a part of the series before, but neither were online races, Ferrari automobiles, or actual Formula One liveries!

I'm still 160,000 credits from obtaining the F2007 in GT5: Prologue. I didn't have any time to play this weekend. :(

thought I remember you saying something about having a RED camera on the thread talking about the best HD cameras

I said if I was a pro, I'd want to research the RED camera. What we do have is a Sony pro-sumer HD camera...and it doesn't meet my standards (one of many reasons why I haven't bought a HD video camera yet).

Last edited:
The "Metal Gear Solid Database" is a free download from the PlayStation Network Store...basically an encyclopedia and timeline for all things related to Solid Snake's story. It even blocks MGS4 spoilers by requiring a save game from completing MGS4 to unlock them.

I decided to start playing from the first Metal Gear Solid so I can properly appreciate the story when I finally get around to playing the fourth.

GRID does have an open-wheel racing series.

I just don't get the deal with GRID. Its control is way too twitchy (totally unrealistic driving physics) with gameplay squarely in between being an all-out arcade-style racer and a sim. I far preferred Codemasters' TOCA series to this. The only good things about GRID are its slick visual style / presentation and over-the-top crash physics. Replays can be cool with all the shaky cam action, but everything feels like it is played back at 1.5X speed. The in-car view is almost unusable especially due to the distracting digital movements of the steering hands.

As for damage, GT's creator has said that he hopes to bring damage not just to GT5, but also in the fall update for GT5: Prologue. Damage may not have been a part of the series before, but neither were online races, Ferrari automobiles, or actual Formula One liveries!

I'm still 160,000 credits from obtaining the F2007 in GT5: Prologue. I didn't have any time to play this weekend. :(

I said if I was a pro, I'd want to research the RED camera. What we do have is a Sony pro-sumer HD camera...and it doesn't meet my standards (one of many reasons why I haven't bought a HD video camera yet).

1) I'll download that from the PSN. Thanks for the heads-up. I'd play the first three, but I have a 40gb, so no bc for me. A PS3 MGS 1-3 collection would be great. I dropped $60 on MGS4. I'd have dropped another $60 for that collection, I think.

2) I agree with your view of GRID. I can see it being fun to play with friends, but as a racing game I want to work through, I don't see the attraction. It feels closer to the Burnout franchise than the GT franchise.

3) Which Sony? And have you looked into the Panansonic line of HD camcorders? The AG-HVX200 is a particularly solid camcorder.

1) I'll download that from the PSN. Thanks for the heads-up. I'd play the first three, but I have a 40gb, so no bc for me. A PS3 MGS 1-3 collection would be great. I dropped $60 on MGS4. I'd have dropped another $60 for that collection, I think.

MGS Essentials Collection (which is MGS 1,2, and 3) ran me 20 bucks at the local Gamestop. I really wish they would redo all 3 games with 4's engine.. it is a really great looking game.

I tried to play all the games before playing 4 but I just couldnt do it in the time that I had. I just cheated and watched all the games on youtube lol.
I watched MGS3, MG on MSX, MG2 on MSX, MGS1, and MGS2.. its really crazy how far these games have come. But watching them worked out pretty good - I took care of all 5 "movies" over the course of 4 weekends.

I'd play the first three, but I have a 40gb, so no bc for me.

The 40GB PS3 still has backwards compatibility for PSone games. So you CAN play the first one on it!

It feels closer to the Burnout franchise than the GT franchise.

And I'd rather play the Burnout games than GRID.

Which Sony? And have you looked into the Panansonic line of HD camcorders? The AG-HVX200 is a particularly solid camcorder.

Being a Sony employee, I really WANT to buy a Sony product (but the offerings right now aren't anywhere close to my liking). Being a Canon DSLR fan, I'd much rather buy a Canon HD camcorder with removable lenses. I'm still waiting for the perfect model. I prefer the AVCHD codec to HDV, so I'm just waiting for cameras to offer full 25mbps support of AVCHD. And, in the other thread, I think I mentioned I have definite feature minimums that I'd like to see (things like hybrid camcorders with both removable soild state and hard drive media support, 1080p support at 24, 30, and 60 fps if not beyond).

I'm in no rush because my computer is five years old and can't handle HD video. I will be looking into upgrading towards the end of this year, so I'll be eager to see what HD camcorders have come out by then.

The 40GB PS3 still has backwards compatibility for PSone games. So you CAN play the first one on it!

And I'd rather play the Burnout games than GRID.

Being a Sony employee, I really WANT to buy a Sony product (but the offerings right now aren't anywhere close to my liking). Being a Canon DSLR fan, I'd much rather buy a Canon HD camcorder with removable lenses. I'm still waiting for the perfect model. I prefer the AVCHD codec to HDV, so I'm just waiting for cameras to offer full 25mbps support of AVCHD. And, in the other thread, I think I mentioned I have definite feature minimums that I'd like to see (things like hybrid camcorders with both removable soild state and hard drive media support, 1080p support at 24, 30, and 60 fps if not beyond).

I'm in no rush because my computer is five years old and can't handle HD video. I will be looking into upgrading towards the end of this year, so I'll be eager to see what HD camcorders have come out by then.

well, when you get close to pulling the trigger on the camcorder, let me know what you come up with. I'm in the same boat.

Also, I have found www.camcorderinfo.com to be a good resource for reviews and research.

[/thread hijack]

Damn! I remember playing Metal Gear Solid 1 on the PS1 waaaay back in the day. AWESOME game. This looks absolutely phenomenal -- almost enough to make me want to pick up a PS3. Almost...

I'm in the same boat. I only have 2 friends with a PS3 and I know a lot of gamers. If anything will make me buy one, this will be it. But still not for a while.

Actually, that is my feeling about GRID...looks nice, plays like ass. GT5: Prologue plays infinitely better in every way (and the cars look better too).

Still haven't played Forza 2 to be able to compare, but visually, Forza 2 is nowhere near as strong as GT5: Prologue.

Haven't bought MGS4 because I still haven't finished any of the earlier games. In fact, I'm starting to play MGS (the PSone version) now...will finally go back to play through the last half of MGS2...will finally break the wrap on MGS3 (can't believe I never even opened the package)...before I even think about buying MGS4.

But I do want to play it!

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! We are car guys and you haven't played Forza 2 yet.... do yourself a favor and play forza2, its an entertaining game. And yes it doesn't hold up as well to GT graphics but its game play is a lot more involving compared to the GT series imo and this is coming from a fan of the GT series I've played GT1-GT:HD.

Either way back to MGS4. The game looks really impressive I wish I had a PS3 so I could play it... maybe I can :D...

do yourself a favor and play forza2, its an entertaining game.

If I owned an Xbox 360, I'd consider picking it up. I had the first Forza on the original Xbox. I could never get into it though...largely because of my hatred of the original Xbox's controller and how large the deadzones were on the analog sticks. I prefer the feel of GT.

I can't justify owning two force feedback wheels either. My favorite thing about the Logitech one is that it is USB, works with the PS2, PS3, and PC.

BTW, we really should stop hijacking this thread. :eek:

Last edited:
so I bought it.

EPIC game. Cut scenes are loooong, but amazingly well done. Totally immersing story. And the game play is a visual and audible delight.

Have not touched GT5:p since I got this, if that tells you anything.

I'm about half way through.

Oh, and on a side note, someone made it through the whole game in about 3 hours without using any camouflage, without killing anyone, and without setting off any alarms. I guess there is a video of it somewhere, but I cannot find it. Still, that's damn impressive.

Back