• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Metal-on-metal" clanking noise coming from front driver-side

Hello folks! For a year or two, I've been hearing "metal-on-metal" knocking noises when driving coming from the front driver's side area. It is not usually audible during the drive, but when you're next to a wall or in a tunnel or in close proximity to other cars, you can often hearing the clanking. I took it in for a normal service here in Austin, and when the mechanic had it up in the air, we gave the front left tie rod a little jostle, and it was a tiny bit loose, probably about a half centimeter's worth of give. The right side was completely sturdy. The mechanic suspected it may be the steering rack, but there's a chance it is just the tie-rods/bushings/rod ends. I've reached out to D1 guy so will chat with him shortly, but I wanted to know if other's have experienced anything similar and can offer some advice. It hasn't given me any problems, but wanted to know if it is safe to drive. I'm hoping it is just the tie-rods/bushings, but given it is a 1998 with ~55K miles, it is almost a 20 year old car and not surprised if it is something more serious.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Back