• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michael Schumacher back in F1

Heard this on the radio this morning that he will be replacing Massa from next race on.

WOW! Sunday after hearing that Massa's injuries were worse than I originally thought and that he wouldn't race again this year, I wondered if Schumacher was a possible replacement.

How much you wanna wager MS will humble Kimi - even with minimal practice?

I think Kimi will be quicker. The biggest part missing from Kimi is getting himself up mentally.... I think the arrival of MS will give him a reason to focus.

I think Kimi will be quicker. The biggest part missing from Kimi is getting himself up mentally.... I think the arrival of MS will give him a reason to focus.

You're right. I hadn't really thought about that. David Hobbs has commented on Kimi's lack of motivation. MS being there should motivate him. If not, he doesn't deserve to have that job. I still wonder whether Kimi will be faster, even if he has the desire.

The difference between Kimi and Michael, is that even when Kimi is not motivated he doesn't park his car in the middle of the track we he knows he will be out qualified. (Drive cars off track, turn into rivals that are faster, drag a broken car back on track to take out a rival, you get my drift.)

Dirt bag racing comes back to F1

I think "The Michael" (as Mika Hakkinen used to call him) will have his hands full at Valencia. Should be interesting since there's no in-season testing except for straight-line and the F60 is WAY different than the car he drove in '07. He's not been in an F1 cockpit in 15 months so conditioning will be a factor but if any 40 year old can do it, he can. Made sense because their other options were test drivers Luca Badoer or Marc Gene.:rolleyes:

He has been driving a F2007 (I think at Mugello) and FOTA has granted him a day of testing so that he can become somewhat familiar with the F60, KERS, and the adjustable front wings. It is clear though that your point is valid -- he will definitely be faced with a tough challenge at Valencia with a brand new car and the weight of all the expectations on him.

Dirt bag racing comes back to F1

As much as I don't like MS, and I'll even go further by saying him and his old Beneton Team caused the death of Ayrton Senna, I think his return will be good for F1 as an entertainment.

He "was" a dirt bag, but that's what people do when they want to win.

His return will give the current driver a wake up call if he can still perform, which I have doubt that he can. This will also put an interesting spin on the current championship, which could play in Brawn GP's favor.

I welcome this and will be tuning into next race and join millions who stopped watching F1 years ago.

He has been driving a F2007 (I think at Mugello) and FOTA has granted him a day of testing so that he can become somewhat familiar with the F60, KERS, and the adjustable front wings. It is clear though that your point is valid -- he will definitely be faced with a tough challenge at Valencia with a brand new car and the weight of all the expectations on him.

I wonder if Alguersuari could have used an exception to the 2009 testing ban?
dunno.gif

I am a big Schumi fan, looking forward to the European GP... I wonder if we could replace Kovi with Hakkinen? :tongue:

him and his old Beneton Team caused the death of Ayrton Senna

Benetton, not Williams? :rolleyes: Pretty sure Williams designed his steering rack.

Benetton, not Williams? :rolleyes: Pretty sure Williams designed his steering rack.[/QUOTE]

Can you please elaborate on this a little?

Any links to his practice videos?

This should be interesting. I am putting money on The Chin to beat KR in the next race.

Cool, it will be fun to see both JB and RB beat him!:biggrin:

Seems to me the brawns were managing tire temps beautifuly for the first 5 races. Now possibly due to other teams progress they are strugling to get the tires hot enough or have the dreaded graining issue.If Ross can figure out how to get that sorted out then I think we are good to go.

There are doubters and there are haters, but I bet three of my ten toes (I still need to be able to walk straight) that Schuey will come into a track, where no one has raced, and be right there with the best of them. It will be interesting to watch him do his thing in race trim. There are less than a handful of racers that can win in F1 now. He WILL step in and be one of the guys with a real chance to take a podium, or even a victory in the next few races.

Schuey knows his way around Monza better than any driver out there. Schuey also knows his way around Spa better than any driver out there right now too. The next few weeks will be exciting.

Bring on the hate and and I will accept and eat my words if I have to.

Kimi stick to flipping your rally cars. Your F1 career should, (and will) be finished soon. Welcome Fernando!

If MS had not been using TC at Imola perhaps Ayrton would not have pushed his Williams as hard and who knows.

Benetton, not Williams? :rolleyes: Pretty sure Williams designed his steering rack.
John, there is the conspiracy of a broken steering rack vs. proven Beneton cheating with electronic aid through out the year while Wiiliams play by the book, which pushed other drivers like Senna to the edge.

Flavio Briatori has zero shame when it comes to winning and MS was his other self on the track.

Last edited:
Brawn GP's tire temp issue

I hope someone who knows this topic can post a brief technical explanation.

I thought that tire temp can increase due to: 1: more weight on the tires, 2: more scrub (increasing toe-in, for example), 3: more stress in forward-backward direction, 4: more slip in forward-backward direction.

They can't put more weight on the tires by increasing downforce, since they'll suffer in straight line speed. More scrub will result in graining. More stress forward-backward only works in drag races, not F1. More slip in forward-backward means driver has less control of the car, hence no good either.

So just what is their problem? Crank up wing angle and tires still won't warm up? They should, I think. What else have they tried? I am sure they have considered all of the above and taken a prudent course of action. Yet they still no results to speak of?

How do they know other teams are running higher tire temps? Send a spy to measure each team's discarded tires just after they're taken off their cars?

Was Sir Richard right to dump Brawn GP after all?

Re: 3rd Car in 2010 conspiracy

The next few weeks will be exciting.........

Kimi stick to flipping your rally cars. Your F1 career should, (and will) be finished soon. Welcome Fernando!
Boy howdy, it will be interesting. How about this? Besides the bonus of attention during the summer break by mentioning MS coming back, they can bring up the 3rd car idea like it's for MS. But it's really for Fred since they can't seem to pry Kimi out of his contract.

And as for Kimi, yeah, they're prolly hoping he gets hurt, can't get his medical clearance, loses his superlicense, goes away and this sad underachievihg chapter in Ferrari's history is closed out. If he was really valuable and in their plans, I doubt they'd let him do that sort of racing.

So, with Kimi as a contractual roadblock to the real best laid plans, the 3rd car contingency gets them Fred which is what they want. I doubt MS will get back in a car in 2010 due to 1) his injury and continued risk even if he gets medical clearance and 2) the high expectations for his performance (a potential losing situation) when starting a full season on a level playing field.

Back