• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires?

After a MAJOR rear tire blow-out this weekend, I am shopping for tires.

Has anybody tried the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire on their NSX?
Discount Tire's website seems to have great reviews but it is pricey.

Any replacement tire opinions are greatly appreciated. Thx.

I just got an m3 that needs tires,and will be getting these.has great reviews-handles well,quiet,decent treadlife.doesn't come in sizes for my nsx.

Hmmm, I believe we have nearly the same car.
I have a 94 Brooklands Green NSX with rear tires 245/40-17inch.

Discount tires lists that size as available?

Are you replacing all 4 tires or just the rears?

If you're just replacing the rears, what's on the fronts?

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport doesn't come in any of the sizes that fit the NSX front (e.g. 205/45-16, 215/45-16, 215/40-17, 215/35-18).

If you're looking for the ultimate performance, go with one of the "extreme performance" tires like the Bridgestone RE-11 or Kumho XS. If you're willing to trade off a tiny bit of dry traction for longer treadlife and better wet traction, the Continental ExtremeContact DW is the way to go.

What size wheels do you have?

Last edited:
I run the Michelin Super Sport tires in the sustained high speed open road events. They have a circumferential tread pattern that generates less heat than other tires, and they have a (Y) speed rating. I run 215/45/17 fronts with no rub. These tires come highly recommended by the tire expert for the Silver State Classic Challenge.

For lower speed events on twisty mountain roads (e.g., Chihuahua Express in Mexico), I run Advan tires, but they only have a W rating.

I have never before heard of anyone trying 215/45-17 on the front of an NSX without any rubbing. You must be the first and only. :tongue:

We've been using these for a while in the GT3 community now and I have to say whilst they're NOT an r-compound tire there as close to a Sport Cup or Corsa as I've ever tried. Far grippier and better than the PS2 and closer to the Cup if anything. Also they're actually usable in the rain vs the cup that can be sketchy....

I run the Michelin Super Sport tires in the sustained high speed open road events. They have a circumferential tread pattern that generates less heat than other tires, and they have a (Y) speed rating. I run 215/45/17 fronts with no rub. These tires come highly recommended by the tire expert for the Silver State Classic Challenge.

For lower speed events on twisty mountain roads (e.g., Chihuahua Express in Mexico), I run Advan tires, but they only have a W rating.

Speed rating has very little to do with overall grip and performance of a tire.

Rubbing: OK, I will admit to some gentle and judicious hammering of two spots on each side, but that was with even larger tires - so I had no problems with the 215/45 - 17s
:redface:

Speed Rating: Correct, it has no relationship to stickiness. But it has a lot of relationship to safety if you plan to exceed 180 mph for long periods of time. However, who would be crazy enough to do that?

To answer all the questions...
I have factory NSX chromed wheels and am only replacing the rear 245/40 -17 inch tires.
(I have fairly new OE Bridgestones on the front)
I am a weekend driver not a serious racer so I think the Michelin Super Sports will work for me.

Thanks for all your opinions & input.

I have factory NSX chromed wheels and am only replacing the rear 245/40 -17 inch tires.
(I have fairly new OE Bridgestones on the front)
I am a weekend driver not a serious racer so I think the Michelin Super Sports will work for me.
I think the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is not a good choice for you.

It's extremely desirable to have four matching tires (same make and model) on all four tires. I can understand that there are times you can't do that, such as when only two tires need replacing. But that should be your goal at all times.

Right now you have two Bridgestone Potenza RE010 OEM tires for your 16" front tires. Of course, you can get two new RE010 tires for the rear, and you'll still have four matching tires.

Maybe you want to use some other tire on your car. I'm not sure why you wouldn't get more RE010, since you haven't mentioned it, but that's not the point here. If you're going to replace two tires and mix a different make/model with your fronts, you should get tires (a) whose performance characteristics are as similar as possible to the fronts, and (b) for which you can get front tires when you need them. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport flunks that latter criterion, because it doesn't come in 16" sizes for your front wheels. So if you get the Super Sport for your rears, you are never going to be able to get front tires to match the rears. BAD IDEA.

If I were you, I would do one of two things instead. (a) If you like the OEM tires - again, you haven't said why you would switch to something else - then I would buy a pair of rear OEM RE010, and use them with your fronts. (b) If you want to switch to something that lasts a little longer and costs a little less, I would buy a set of four Continental ExtremeContact DW tires, in 205/45-16 and 245/40-17. You can put the 245/40-17 on the rear and mix them with the RE010 until the fronts wear out, then switch to the Continentals in front as well and you'll have four matching tires. The reason I would buy all four Continentals now is that they are going to be discontinuing them in the 205/45-16 size, but they are still available at the moment. Besides, you get a free Nook with the purchase of four.

But it has a lot of relationship to safety if you plan to exceed 180 mph for long periods of time. However, who would be crazy enough to do that?

Wish my NSX could even get to 180mph.. :frown:

I used to run the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star spec on my e39 m5 because they were so good on my 02+ NSX wheels, recenlty I changed to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and my god! It has transformed the driving feel quite drastically!!

I wouldn't say that the Super Sport is better, but the feel is just so much more precise (at least it feels that way). The way the tire communicates to the driver is so much more reassuring. Don't get me wrong the Dunlop was fantastic in its on way, grips just as good, corners just as hard, but something seems to be lacking. The precision is there too in the dunlop but it just doesn't feel as razor sharp. All in all, i think the Pilot Super Sport is a fantastic tire.

HOWEVER, because we are in the NSX, i wouldn't bother cause the super sport just doesnt have the right fitment. so unfortunate. I will probably go with Advan Neova Ad08 (pricey, but also very very awesome) or if you're looking for something nuts, try yourself a set of Nitto NT01 or Toyo R888. If you're looking for the best bang for buck, then still, nothing beats the dunlop ;)

Wishing for 180?
Large diameter tires combined with a 6-speed transaxle, standard ring and pinon, an intercooled supercharger, and a lowered suspension will give you 196 mph gear limited. Car is stable up to 180 or so, but it dances a bit in a cross wind above 170. There's not much use in setting the car up for those kinds of speeds if you never actually go that fast. The NSX is a great car without the crazy top speed of newer exotics. And even with proper safety equipment on a closed course, you're carrying a lot of energy at those speeds so it's pretty dangerous: five people killed in the events I run in the last two years. Most accidents are due to tire failure.

Last edited:
I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Cayman S. 235/35/19's front & 265/35/19's rear.

They are a great tire.

After reading all the online reviews on Tire Rack and Discount Tire and the opinions of fellow NSX Primers... I decided to go with the Michelin Super Sport tires. Everybody that has tried them, seems to love them. I considered the argument that they don't make a matching tire for the NSX fronts, but hopefully when I need front tires they might be available in that size.
Thank you all for your opinions and discussion.

Michelin expanded the number of available sizes when they introduced the Pilot Super Sport tire as the successor to the Pilot Sport tire, so there may be some hope. Otherwise, you can try this simple solution to eliminate tire rub in the front with the 215/45R17 tires: trim off the lower part of the inner liner. OK, I know that kind of thing is sacrilege for many of you, but it doesn't show, it's easy, and it works. Good luck!

Road & Track magazine has article on the new/next NSX.
It says that it will come with Michelin Super Sport Tires...
Looks like Michelin wants to be in the ultra performance tire game!

My back wheels are at tire central getting new michelin super sport. I have dunlop starspec up front but its couple days for them to get it so I went with this since its similiar grip and $25 less each tire. Rear tires are 265/40/18 I believe.

Two things here:
1) The Dunlop Starspec will have much MORE grip than the rear with a Pilot Super Sport.
2) I sure hope you didn't get a 265/40/18. :eek::eek: The correct rear sizing for the NSX is a 265/35/18.

Two things here:
1) The Dunlop Starspec will have much MORE grip than the rear with a Pilot Super Sport.
2) I sure hope you didn't get a 265/40/18. :eek::eek: The correct rear sizing for the NSX is a 265/35/18.
Yup, on both counts. I would not recommend mixing the Star Spec front with the Super Sport rear. Sounds like a prescription for severe oversteer. Unless you're into drifting, or you like playing with your back end swinging around on you... This screams BAD IDEA.

Back