• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

What's up with all of the engine work. I will also have mine pulled and checked, hopefully only head gaskets. Liz and I will driving to XPO again this year so we are up for a caravan.

In regards to a spring get together, the addition should be done or nearly done, would be happy to host.
XLNT, let's plan on that then!

Ours might just be head gaskets, or who knows we might get a case of "while we're in there-itis" and do a bit more ;^D

Brian

Good stuff Brian! Keep the pics/updates coming. Wish I could see the whole process of mine being stripped down. I guess it's good I'm not closer, I'd be stopping by everyday and bugging Cody. :)
You're welcome to swing by our place if you would like (should be in the garage tonight from 7pm-on).
It's not heated, so warm ambient temps are much appreciated!

Brian

If I don't have my 17/18 set up by NSXPO 2013, I am thinking about renting a trailer and pulling my NSX down to NC. For those of you that have rental trailer experience is there a company I should stay away from? Besides possibly having to source my own ramps, what other considerations might I want to explore? A covered trailer I think would be way to expensive so I am not looking into that option.

This is still just kind of a thought, nothing real serious as I dont own a trailer hitch for my SUV either.

How many of you at least 80% feel confident you will be going? Who plans to stay for the track events and who plans to leave on Monday when the main social function ends? I figure this would be a two day travel trip.

Liz and I will definitely be going and we will be there for the track event. We are planning on driving the cars. Why not just drive down?

If I don't have my 17/18 set up by NSXPO 2013, I am thinking about renting a trailer and pulling my NSX down to NC. For those of you that have rental trailer experience is there a company I should stay away from? Besides possibly having to source my own ramps, what other considerations might I want to explore? A covered trailer I think would be way to expensive so I am not looking into that option.

This is still just kind of a thought, nothing real serious as I dont own a trailer hitch for my SUV either.

How many of you at least 80% feel confident you will be going? Who plans to stay for the track events and who plans to leave on Monday when the main social function ends? I figure this would be a two day travel trip.

Liz and I will definitely be going and we will be there for the track event. We are planning on driving the cars. Why not just drive down?

The "cars?" Are you also a two NSX house like a few others?

I feel unlucky that driving so far on 18/19's, id find a way to blow out a tire... for some reason I feel 17/18 might be safer. This is of course flawed logic. I'm only half azzed considering it but then again, I know you have 18/19's so I guess I dont know what the big deal is.

Just one NSX. Liz drives a Noble and it has been to more XPOs than probably 95% of all NSXs on Prime (5 total). I doubt if you will have issues with 18/19. I drove mine out to Vegas, Round trip to Denver, Round trip to New Jersey including track events in Denver and Jersey.

The "cars?" Are you also a two NSX house like a few others?

I feel unlucky that driving so far on 18/19's, id find a way to blow out a tire... for some reason I feel 17/18 might be safer. This is of course flawed logic. I'm only half azzed considering it but then again, I know you have 18/19's so I guess I dont know what the big deal is.

Just one NSX. Liz drives a Noble and it has been to more XPOs than probably 95% of all NSXs on Prime (5 total). I doubt if you will have issues with 18/19. I drove mine out to Vegas, Round trip to Denver, Round trip to New Jersey including track events in Denver and Jersey.

Noble like that sports car Noble?

yes.

Greetings Michigan NSXers.... if you know anyone selling in the area selling NSX headers --factory OEM or otherwise -- can you drop me a PM? Looking to make the leap...thx!

Get those heads off yet Brian? Whats the verdict?

Yes, but sorry no pix to share yet.
There are 2 pistons that look like their time to shine has passed, so the engine is going back home to LoveFab for a full refresh / update.
It'll come back harder better faster stronger ;^D
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B-w8UyoyRpQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
In fact, we'll send it back with Cody when he drops off your car (and hopefully joins Patrick's NSX for an exhaust upgrade ;-)

Brian

Wow! Cody is just going to have to setup an assembly line for all the engine builds SE MI is sending him this winter/spring. Too bad the whole car won't be going up to him, It'd be cool to see what that car is actually hitting at the wheels on the dyno....it's only ever been an educated guess at 600rwhp right?

Wow! Cody is just going to have to setup an assembly line for all the engine builds SE MI is sending him this winter/spring. Too bad the whole car won't be going up to him, It'd be cool to see what that car is actually hitting at the wheels on the dyno....it's only ever been an educated guess at 600rwhp right?
After we get the engine back and installed, we'll take the car (back home) to LoveFab for a full tune and update.
He advertised it in the Prime FS Ad as 600whp, and as fast as it is, have had no reason to doubt it!
We'll likely get paperwork after this time, though ;^D

Brian

After we get the engine back and installed, we'll take the car (back home) to LoveFab for a full tune and update.
He advertised it in the Prime FS Ad as 600whp, and as fast as it is, have had no reason to doubt it!
We'll likely get paperwork after this time, though ;^D

Brian

I've certainly never doubted that number either....I wouldn't be surprised to hear it has more.

OK, here are some photos and an update.

Piston #3 had some damage (see 10 0'clock area) so although the sleeve looks surprisingly good this means we're going with a .20" overbore and new pistons all around.

Piston 3 damage by NSXbrian, on Flickr

Here's a picture of the rear subframe assembly, and you can see the wooden jig we made before removing everything as a unit.

Subframe by NSXbrian, on Flickr

Here's the engine on the pallet I'll secure it to for the trip to LoveFab.

Cherry Picker by NSXbrian, on Flickr

Also, the heads will be packed in their own plastic tubs for safe transit.

Heads in shipping tubs by NSXbrian, on Flickr

Brian

Last edited:
Awesome pics Brian! Cool stuff. Hopefully we're all up and running with new healthy engines this year.
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger !!!
We'll have a fresh trans, axles and rear tires too, so I expect greatness ;^D

Brian

Cody knows his stuff! He was right on the money with his diagnosis based on my symptoms. Two cracks on the ringlands, right on the edge of the rings where they would be weakest.......

Resampled_2013-02-05_19-17-02_1 by blodi, on Flickr

Amazing to think that this whole process which such a huge amount of work and time is all because of two 2-3mm cracks... :p

Last edited:
Back