• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Monitor options for the NSX Nav Pod

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
It's been a while since I've looked into the 12V Audio/Visual scene so thought i'd ask the wisdom of prime.

I'm going with the HKS F-Con iS. It has a composite video out to display sensor data onto a video monitor. Since i'm going down this route I was hoping to find a way to use this display potentially for VGA/carPC/tablet usages and Navigation. The space inside a Nav Pod is limited so I can't fit a traditional double din in there.

Here are the inputs I think are needed.
* VGA
* Composite/RCA video
* HDMI?
* Bluetooth?

Requirements:
* Able to fit inside the navpod. This Alpine looks interesting
* Able to use a rear camera
* Navigation would be nice (whether thru a smart phone or it's own dedicated unit)
* Stream video from Netflix, Youtube, or from my phone?

Ideally this is why I wanted a tablet of some sort in the NSX but none fit in the Navpod and I don't know of a way to display composite video thru them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

btw.. for some of you who have followed my threads. I've given up the search for a Windows based tablet.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have an iPhone but this is pretty cool. The Alpine unit looks promising. Just wish it was a full 7" screen instead of the 6.5"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mGeOHeLqMYk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ryu what's the output on the HKS unit. You don't need all those inputs. You need a proper video switcher, you shouldn't use the monitor to switch between input types. You need an external switcher with possible up conversion to match the display resolution. That way you can instantly switch between sources and have them triggered. For example, engaging reverse sets up rear view. Signaling right or left can engage a blind spot cam. An alert on an engine sensor can override nav and display sensor info.

The HKS unit displays a standard composite video signal so it's a bit limited there in terms of up conversion. Probably not needed though.. the HKS output is a no-fuss digital output that looks pretty basic.

I spent a few mins looking into this Alpine unit. It has a built-in switching unit (if I understand what you're saying above). It's pretty darn cool and not too expensive even with the Navigation module. Apparently, it has auto switching capabilities like when you engage reverse it will automatically switch to the rear view camera. It's also touch-screen. I'm just trying to figure out now how to stream music from my phone onto it. I can probably use the Alpine Bluetooth unit i'm currently using now to pair it.

Interesting stuff...

Last edited:
Back