• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Monitors incomplete

This is a tough one. Two years ago, I replaced a defective O2 sensor With a Denso bought in Ebay. 3 monitors (egr, cat, evap) would not complete for the smog test (CA allows up to 2 inc.monitors). I listened to advice and read a bunch of stuff and was told to drive many miles in different modes. I drove 1,100 miles in 2 weeks! (about a third of my early mileage) And it did not work.
Forward 18 months, my car just came out of extensive work at Ramon's Niguel Motors including a replacement of the ebay sensor with an OEM at 5 times the price. The car now has FOUR incomplete monitors (egr, car, evap, o2 sensor). I drove about 50 miles with no change. Ramon says drive it some more. I am not about to drive another 1,000 miles. Any one would like to chime in? Larry?

Driving around clearly didn't fix your 2018 Dec problem!

I won't offer any drive cycle advice because that clearly hasn't fixed your original problem.

Just an observation that the O2 sensor monitor appears to be new compared to your previous problem. As I recall, the O2 sensor monitor is a continuous monitor and definitely the catalyst monitor (which requires the drive cycle stuff) will not attempt to complete its cycle until all the continuous monitors are set. If you can figure out why you now have an O2 sensor monitor problem that might get you back to where you were 18 months ago.

The EGR is a non continuous monitor and appears that you have to get the engine into the conditions that would normally result in EGR operation. About the only thing that I think can be monitored on the EGR is the operation of the lift potentiometer. The absence of DTCs for the EGR does not mean that there is no problem with the EGR. The OBDII checks for really out of range conditions. You can be within the sanity check range and may still have a performance problem (this applies to a number of other sensors also). When you had your extensive work done recently, was the operation of the EGR valve and potentiometer checked?

I think the Evap is another monitor that has to be set before the system will enter into the cycle test for the catalytic converter. I can offer no observations about what possible factors prevent the Evap monitor from setting. I suggest checking the condition of all of your vacuum lines (this applies to the EGR also); but, typically if a vacuum line is really faulty it would cause a DTC.

I would say good luck with it; but, clearly luck has not bee on your side.

Thank you Old Guy (from an old guy)!
Good information. I will share it with Ramon and hopefully make some progress.
(I dont believe Ramon checked the egr components)

Last edited:
Does your OBDII scanner display sensor inputs? If so, it might be instructive to see if you can view the EGR potentiometer output signal to see what it is doing during driving. EGR is only active under certain engine operating conditions. I don't know whether anybody had cracked the NA2 OBDII ECU so the exact operating points are perhaps unknown. I thought that sr5guy had posted a screen shot of the EGR map as part of his work on the pre OBDII ECU which might give you a guide as to when it should be opening (the engines are not hugely different).

Yes it does.
Bnk1/sen1 and Bnk2/sen1 dont read data but show "selected mode is not supported".
Bnk1/sen2 and bnk2/sen2 show normal readings.

Yes it does.
Bnk1/sen1 and Bnk2/sen1 dont read data but show "selected mode is not supported".
Bnk1/sen2 and bnk2/sen2 show normal readings.

There is only one EGR potentiometer. It seems like you're scanner is looking at something else - the O2 sensors? I would expect the EGR pot reading to be a voltage between 0 and 5 volts, or a percentage, or an open / closed status. EGR would typically be closed at idle.

You're correct. my scanner was looking at all four O2 sensor monitors. I misunderstood you. I dont see an egr sensor indication on my scanner. Only egr indication On my scanner is "EGR SYS Incomplete".

I have a stock 97 the evap code monitor is not easy to set ,has nothing to do with miles driven . You must follow the drive cycle criteria for this car , at least 3/4 tank of fuel ,steady cruise above 50 mph , do not touch the brake let the car decelerate to about 40 mph or even slower then accelerate . I believe the drive cycle criteria is in the repair manual (but not sure ) . Generally Honda products are easy to reset the monitors , I have set hundreds of them for a couple of my friends that own inspection stations in ny ( don't waste time telling customers what to do ,they call me I have a specific route that seems to work ) . Hope this helps .

Thank you Ralph. I remember very vividly the many "Driving Cycles" I had to go thru two years ago. I must have done the one you suggested at least twice, to no avail. I dont think I am going down that road this time. Thank you any way.

Back