• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

More fraud! guy trying to rip me off.

This has been covered before, and here is some more proof that these guys are still out there. This came in to my email yesterday. Who should I forward it to? Local police, or to State or even Federal? I will try to let my email provider know, but what can they do?? Here is the content from autotrader forwarded message.

BUYER INFO
Name: lucas milton
E-Mail Address: [email protected]
Comments: I am interested in purchasing your car for $25,500 .I am car
agent From Africa.Your car is the specification one of my clients gave
me .Would you accept a cashiers check for payment.IF yes send your
contact postal adress and telephone Number

It sounds fishy since a lot of those fraud cases come from Africa, but what exactly is fraudulent about what he has done so far? Don't they usually say something like "i've sent you the money but an incident has happened and i need $2k right now. Can u send?"

I feel sorry for the people that fall for this stuff....they really have no idea what is about to happen. :(

You can't even wait for them to ask for the usual $2k back. If you take the check to your bank, you run the risk of being the one in trouble when they find out it's a fake. This happened to an nsxprime guy last year.

Really, if you're not in the bank with someone when they get the cashier's check, you have no way of knowing it's real. Kinda sucks.

Aiken Drum said:
You can't even wait for them to ask for the usual $2k back. If you take the check to your bank, you run the risk of being the one in trouble when they find out it's a fake. This happened to an nsxprime guy last year....

Did the NSX Prime member get in serious trouble?? What happened?

I forget exactly, the bank manager closed his account and refused to do business with him, something like that. He went to another branch with a less idiotic manager and re-opened it. Search the forums for fraud and bank and you might be able to track it done.

I think I have he best story. person claiming to be from Canada offered to buy my car for $46K. This is what he emailed me:

"Thanks for accepting my $46,000 offer and i hope the engine is serviced and oil changed too.However,i want to confirm from my client how the payment will be,because the amount in the check that is suppose to be given to you is more than what should be paid to you.Because the company that is owning my client wants to make out the check with whole amount,both the shippment charges and agent fees,so please get back to me the moment you recieve this mail for more clearifications.I will contact my client soonest.
Thanks,
Jack..
0112348037142768"

He then sent me a cashiers check for $55K and asked me to wire him the $9K difference. This is what he wrote me:

"charley,
As i informed you in my last mail,my client have instructed that the check should be made out to your name provided that you will send the balance back to him through western union and deduct the western union charges from the balance so that he can be able to pay the shipping company and agents that will come for the pick up.That means that payment will get to you in cashier check of $55,000. So you are required to deduct cost of your car $46,000 when payment gets to you and refund balance $9,000 less western charges to my customer via western union
After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him,our agent will come for the pick up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers and other necessary documets will be handed over to my agent at the time of pick up.
Please Confirm this and the check will be sent to you on the address you give to me on thursay next week.
Thanks,
Marc."

I called the bank issuinag the check, and I was not surprised to find that it was fraudulent. Just to f*ck with the guy, I told him I wired him the money and gave him false Western Union information. He then wrote me this:

"charley,
The agent just called me saying that he went to the western union to pick the funds but the western union opprator told him that there was no transaction that was made with the information you provided.After checking the money transfer number you provided it was 14 digits instead of 10 digits number so please you have to check well and scan the copy of the receipt you used in doing the transfer and send the scan receipt to the agent.
I will be expecting your maill asap...
Thanks...."

He then had the nerve to call me and demand the money that he claimed I owed him. So I wrote him the following email:

"Haha. Me playing games? no! I knew that this transaction was a fraud when you told me that you were going to send me $55,000. I have read about these silly schemes. In fact, my car was sold a long time ago to a local buyer.

You must be really stupid if you think that someone would wire you money before your check even clears. Do you know how easy it is to find out if a check is genuine? A person can easily find the phone number of the bank on the internet and call. In fact, your silly little check didn't even have a watermark on it. I'm surprised you even sent me this fake check. I immediately called the bank and was not surprised to find out that it was forged. I wonder if anyone has even fallen for this stupid scheme. Have you ever made any money with this idiotic scheme?

I was very glad when you kept calling me the other night. I wanted you to experience the excitement of thinking that your stupid scheme actually worked, and I wanted you to be bitterly disappointed when you found out that I didn't send any money. Did you have a nice trip to Western Union? Then, when you kept calling, I was actually surprised to find out how stupid you really are.

Well, I did go through the trouble of reporting this to First Citizens Bank and Trust. I also contacted the FBI and they are in the process of continuing their investigation against you. The FBI tells me that you have done this before and that you are located in Nigeria.

I hope that in the future you can come up with a better scheme than this, but I'm pretty sure you're too stupid for that.

See ya Sucker!"

I have not heard from him since. The FBI told me they won't do anything because these schemes occur daily and seem to originate from Nigeria.

If you want to start a collection of fake cashiers checks then ask him to send you the check. Otherwise ignore his request. I personally have one of those fakes from a previous car sale. Guy sent me the check then ask me to forward $2000 of it to his shipper who would come pickup teh car. I tracked down the bank the check was drawn on and they pointed out key features of their cashiers checks like specific emblems, Raised routing numbers, specific number design. Definately a fake, never heard from the clown again. I even contacted the local FBI office and they stated since I had not actually incurred a loss then they would not investigate. Go figure. I still have the check as a momento. Everytime i try to sell something i get contacted by the clowns. I just tell them to send me the check, I figure I will have a nice collection of cashiers check soon. Who knows, if times get bad and i have to start living under a bridge i could start cashing them :p

This S.A. guy is the same guy that needs to give away 25 million bucks and needs your help to hold it for him. Fork these jerks.

dc

Ebay sale - too good to be true

I had to laugh when I read "charleysung" story.

I'm playin with one right now. This guy is offering a 2004 NSX for $23,000. Really? Understanding that this is clearly too good to be true, I wanted to hear the deal. Here is what has transpired...

Hello. I see you are interested in my offer. That makes me very happy. At first, like every seller I have everithing straight out for anyone interested. So, my terms and conditions are simple and I hope I will have a great deal with you. Ok.Enough with the talking and let us do buisness.The first thing you will have to know is that I have restricted the bidding/buying because in my last offerts on ebay I got problems with buyers who after they won the auction I gues they forgout to pay for the car but that was that.Now I am very cautios about my offers on ebay. Now here are my terms and condions for you to purchase the car in a very trust it way. 1. The shiping procedure is like this.The car will be shipedd from here by plane with the Lufthansa Air Cargo Company. I will ask only for the shiping taxes that are 2000$.I am located in Switzerland so I am going to ship the car from my nearest Lufthansa terminal. 2. My payment procedure is Western Union (www.westernunion.com) because it makes the shiping process move faster so I will not disapoint my customers with long time shiping.All you have to do is go to www.westernunion.com and find an local agent near you were you have to go and send the shiping taxes that I specify before. 3. The car will be insured at the delivery service and insured for the transport. 4. As soon as the car arrives, you will test the car and if it does not matches 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 7 days since the arrival date.After that I will pay for the shiping taxes. 5. In the 7 days inspection perioud if you decide to buy the car send the remainig balance and I will send the car's papers. Well this are my terms and conditons. If you agree with them then we will have a very good deal. Thank you.

My response:
Before sending payment, a couple questions...
1) Why do you show an Indiana address in your auction?
2) Why do you have a U.S. spec model in Switz?
3) Why send the vehicle via air freight which costs so much?
4) $2,000 wouldn't possibly cover the cost to ship via air freight. Who is paying the difference?
5) I show that the car is currently registered to William Pfister (MADE UP) of the U.S. Please advise.

Their response:
Hello, please ecuze me , it say Indiana, becaus my whife is from tehre, and after we moved here in switzerlan, we forgat to change the item location. The car was bring From USA, so she have US specs, the odometer is in miles. My brother works for Lufthansa, and he will help us with the shipping.

I think I'm going to see if they have a few more I can "buy". :D

Apparently this scheme works all the time. I'm sure they're not the least bit bothered that one or two attempts seemed to go further than the usual before they failed. If they get maybe one a month to work, they're doing fine, and I bet they get more than that.

It's especially depressing that most people who fall for it are either young and want something for nothing (and haven't learned the tanstaafl rule) or old and slower on the uptake than they used to be. In general, neither group can really afford the loss.

If they are from switserland maybe you should get in contact with a suisse NSX owner and let him write a mail stating he will do a pre-buy inspection on the car at your behalve... and see how the seller reacts !!

Back