• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motor requirements for forced induction

I am just begining to investigate the NSX. I am lookign to buy one for my father and build it myself before I turn it over to him.

My ?'s are when does the motor need to be built to be reliable with forced induction?

I am usually a turbo guy (supra owner) but I am not ruling out going with a super charger for this car. any adive or experiences on this subject would eb greatly appreciated.

Possibly considering the aem ems since I have it on my supra I am not sure how the X's take to it though works great with the toyota.

TIA
Anthony

First of all man you are a good son! As for the motor believe it can handle 400 rwhp with good tuning and no build beyond that you may be looking for problems. The AEM seems to be a preferred choice amonst those going above 400, below I think people are still deferring to the stock ECU but giving up hp to do so. If you do a search on the AEM you will get a lot of hits that will give you some good reading.

hth,

Carl

Last edited:
The NSX motor is no different than any other n/a high compression one for the most part. The rods are already fairly 'choice', and good to 400rwhp reliably. I'd replace the HG, ARP bolts like you said, FI pistons; the rest is mostly fuel management. I believe the oil pump is ok for the capacity of the rods and it may be wise to lose a little engine response and lower the compression slightly.

As far as your power goals are concerned, 400rwhp in an NSX goes farther than in most cars and the drivetrain loss is less than the standard FR setup as well. You'll need some serious suspension and wheel set ups to be content with more than 400rwhp, IMO ofcourse. Realize that you can run 10's with not much more power, a MR aluminum chassis car doesn't need a lot to get it going. Remember that a 290hp 6spd coupe NSX is good for 12's on street tires as is with a good driver.

At 550whp+ the chassis starts twisting down the 1/4 mile with a proper drag setup.

sahtt said:
As far as your power goals are concerned, 400rwhp in an NSX goes farther than in most cars and the drivetrain loss is less than the standard FR setup as well. You'll need some serious suspension and wheel set ups to be content with more than 400rwhp, IMO ofcourse. Realize that you can run 10's with not much more power, a MR aluminum chassis car doesn't need a lot to get it going. Remember that a 290hp 6spd coupe NSX is good for 12's on street tires as is with a good driver.

At 550whp+ the chassis starts twisting down the 1/4 mile with a proper drag setup.

why would the chassis twist on a transverse mounted engine? chasis twist is more prone to longitudinal mounted engines.

0 to 4 lbs add good octane fuel
5 to 6 lbs add some fuel/timing management
7 to 12 lbs add some "BETTER" fuel/timing management along with some kind of IAT cooling.
13 + lbs all of the above plus a good low compression engine build.

Armando

Almost every chassis begins to twist at a high enough power level. The NSX is made out of aluminum so it does so before many streel structured cars will. I do not know the physics behind it in detail enough to give a good explanation.

I believe, but not 100% sure, it was SoS that was having significant problems with this, on their 600hp+[?] 10 second NSX. I also believe it was not on slicks or anything, the twisting was on radials or perhaps even street tires.

ama0787 said:
I am just begining to investigate the NSX. I am lookign to buy one for my father and build it myself before I turn it over to him.

My ?'s are when does the motor need to be built to be reliable with forced induction?

I am usually a turbo guy (supra owner) but I am not ruling out going with a super charger for this car. any adive or experiences on this subject would eb greatly appreciated.

Possibly considering the aem ems since I have it on my supra I am not sure how the X's take to it though works great with the toyota.

TIA
Anthony

Depending on the power you are looking for the motor is quite reliable with forced induction with the use of a good EMS. Whether it is 1 lb or 30lbs we always recommend the use of a stand alone EMS. Being a former Supra guy also turbo is probably the way for you to go. The AEM works well with the NSX also, but in our opinion the HKS F-Con Vpro works better. If you go to Supra Forums and do a search there is quite a bit of information from both camps.

We have pushed the NSX past the 800rwhp mark and the requirements v. a Supra are much more involved. We have experience chassis flex on our high hp NSX.

Good luck on your quest, just remember the Supra and NSX are two completely different cars.

Back